Evan Parker

7/4

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shamefully, I only have one Parker in my collection, which is Conic Sections and I have to admit I find it tough going. Technically stunning to be sure but a little wearying over the course of even one track (let alone 70 minutes!). :blink:

That said I've heard enough of him in other contexts to be intrigued by his music, just never got around to buying anything. Any good places to start?

Any good places to start?

The Appleby Festival next weekend!

He's doing a set with Paul Dunmall, Paul Rogers, Tony Levin, John Edwards and Tony Marsh as part of the main festival (Saturday, 30th). And the regular 'Freezone' 5 hour slot in the local church (Sunday 31st) with the same plus Kenny Wheeler, Gerd Dudek and Phil Wachsmann.

I'll hear the first; sadly the second overlaps with a couple of Norma Winstone sets.

There's nothing quite like Parker live - he did a stunning performance during the Jazz Britannica weekend back in February.

I'm not a big free fan but occasionally dip my toe in. I very much enjoy the two ECMs with Barre Phillips and Paul Bley.

Shamefully, I only have one Parker in my collection, which is Conic Sections and I have to admit I find it tough going. Technically stunning to be sure but a little wearying over the course of even one track (let alone 70 minutes!).  :blink:

That's part of the fun!

No, actually, I admit to having enjoyed Conic Sections occasionally... but I really, really have to be in a certain frame of mind. The sonic 'illusion' that there are inner melodies, rhythms and harmonies floating in and out of the patterns can be fascinating. But it's a little like a magic-eye picture; some days you see it, other times you stare at it and... nothing!

I really need to explore some of his work with groups though. What I've heard I've really enjoyed.

No, actually, I admit to having enjoyed Conic Sections occasionally... but I really, really have to be in a certain frame of mind. The sonic 'illusion' that there are inner melodies, rhythms and harmonies floating in and out of the patterns can be fascinating. But it's a little like a magic-eye picture; some days you see it, other times you stare at it and... nothing!

I really need to explore some of his work with groups though. What I've heard I've really enjoyed.

I need to be in the mood for it too. It isn't background music. His music demands close listening.

Some other Evan Parker disks I have but really need to listen to:

The Music Improvisation Company (ECM)

The Music Improvisation Company 1968-1971

The Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Karyōbin

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Quintessence

Derek Bailey & Evan Parker - Arch Duo

Anthony Braxton, Evan Parker & Paul Rutherford - Trio (London) 1993

Anthony Braxton, Evan Parker - Duo (London) 1993

...and I'll set this pile aside and dig into it this weekend.

magiceye3.jpg

:blink:

once this image "clicked" it was difficult to go back to seeing it the original way.

I hope you're not joking. I keep looking at this and nothing happens. I take off my reading glasses and it just looks blurry. The Sun rises and sets a few times and still nothing.

I have to do laundry....

magiceye3.jpg

:blink:

once this image "clicked" it was difficult to go back to seeing it the original way.

I hope you're not joking. I keep looking at this and nothing happens. I take off my reading glasses and it just looks blurry. The Sun rises and sets a few times and still nothing.

I have to do laundry....

No, not joking. The image switches to 3D, with several individual candies floating at different depths over a 2D background image.

Is this in print? What does it sound like?

Guy

I don't think it's in print. What does it sound like? I'll give it a spin later.

It is in print.

KARIOBYN (CHRONOSCOPE CPE 2001)

KENNY WHEELER, EVAN PARKER,DEREK BAILEY, DAVE HOLLAND, JOHN STEVENS.

Recorded February 1968.

You should try:

THE TWO SEASONS (EMANEM)

with JOHN EDWARDS & MARK SANDERS.

AT THE VORTEX (1996) (EMANEM)

with BARRY GUY & PAUL LYTTON

AFTER APPLEBY (LEO)

with MARILYN CRISPELL, BARRY GUY, PAUL LYTTON

50th BIRTHDAY CONCERT (LEO)

with ALEXANDER VON SCHLIPPENBACH, BARRY GUY, PAUL LOVENS, PAUL LYTTON

The first one (TWO SEASONS) sounds very "jazz". Could be right your alley for a start.

50th BIRTHDAY CONCERT (LEO)

with ALEXANDER VON SCHLIPPENBACH, BARRY GUY, PAUL LOVENS, PAUL LYTTON

Thanks for those! I've heard a few of the things with Crispell and liked them a lot. And the 50th Birthday Concert has been near the top of my wants list for a while. Must get round to it.

Is this in print? What does it sound like?

Guy

I don't think it's in print. What does it sound like? I'll give it a spin later.

It is in print.

KARIOBYN (CHRONOSCOPE CPE 2001)

KENNY WHEELER, EVAN PARKER,DEREK BAILEY, DAVE HOLLAND, JOHN STEVENS.

Recorded February 1968.

It is not, from what I understand (just as all the rest of the Chronoscope rekleases). I've been looking for it for months now.