Evan Parker

7/4

It is not, from what I understand (just as all the rest of the Chronoscope rekleases). I've been looking for it for months now.

Yeah I think Karyobin is o/p. Which sucks. It's a very approachable album & would be a good introduction to the SME or to Bailey & Parker.

I think so too. I gave it a spin last night and it worked for me. I dig it.

I got my copy when Evan was in NYC in 93 or 94. I heard him with Braxton at the Greenwich School of Music and they had copies on sale.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not, from what I understand (just as all the rest of the Chronoscope releases). I've been looking for it for months now.

According to the distributer in Belgium through the shop called FNAC, they still distribute the record.

I will ask the guy who is in charge of jazz in this shop (and who is a close friend), if he can order any.

We'll see.

Edited by P.L.M

A friend of mine gave me Lines Burnt in Light a few years back. This was my first exposure to Evan Parker. I was blown away. I still cannot imagine owning more than one solo disc. There is so much to absorb! I love the phrase 'sonic illusion.' Very fitting, especially for Lines Burnt in Light. Great stuff when I'm in the mood. Maybe someday I will check out more Evan Parker based on this thread.

Some other Evan Parker disks I have but really need to listen to:

The Music Improvisation Company (ECM)

The Music Improvisation Company 1968-1971

The Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Karyōbin

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Quintessence

Derek Bailey & Evan Parker - Arch Duo

Anthony Braxton, Evan Parker & Paul Rutherford - Trio (London) 1993

Anthony Braxton, Evan Parker - Duo (London) 1993

...and I'll set this pile aside and dig into it this weekend.

and more I own, but forgot about:

Paul Bley, Evan Parker, Barre Phillips - Sankt Gerold (I'm digging this now)

Kenny Wheeler - Music for Large and Small Ensembles

1609.jpg

Paul Bley, Evan Parker, Barre Phillips - Sankt Gerold

If all you know of Evan Parker is his marathon circular breathing sessions, this is a bit different. There is some of this, but it's buffered by the group improvisations.

From an Amazon.com review:

Evan Parker has never sounded better. His trademark torrents of sound are on display and they are awesome. I often play Parker to those who claim that avant-garde jazz doesn't require any technique. Parker's control over his multiphonics and mastery of circular breathing (no Kenny G did NOT invent the technique) is amazing to behold. But he also strikes a lyrical note here, perhaps because of the presence of Bley.

really now...

I found a couple of CDs I had mis-filed:

Sainkho Namtchylak (overtone singing and other extended techniques) & Evan Parker - Mars Song

I'm in the middle of the 1st cut, works for me.

Jah Wobble & Evan Parker - Passage to Hades

Evan makes it work.

I remember Mars Song as a really tough go--got rid of it some time ago.

Lines Burnt on Light is pretty impressive if you've never heard Parker solo before but I found it disappointing--very little advance to show on Conic Sections from over a decade before. I still like the solo piece on Atlanta best of all the solo E.P. I've heard.

The new duo album with Stan Tracey is terrific by the way (the 2nd one--I haven't heard the 1st). It's fairly jazz-oriented too--downright groovy on the title track "Crevulation".

Sankt Gerold is a gem (as is the other trio album by this group). Parker is best to these ears when playing with musicians who add lyricism to the overall sound, as Bley does in abundance here. It counterbalances Parker's often gruff playing, which is far more textural than linear.

For those who can take it, you might check out his duo album with Steve Lacy, "Chirps." Not one I go to frequently, but it is an interesting record.

Bye-ya

Edited by PauL B

Sankt Gerold is a gem (as is the other trio album by this group). Parker is best to these ears when playing with musicians who add lyricism to the overall sound, as Bley does in abundance here. It counterbalances Parker's often gruff playing, which is far more textural than linear.

I'd like to find the earlier trio on ECM, but it looks like it's out of print. :o

I'd like to find the earlier trio on ECM, but it looks like it's out of print. :o

Judging form the ECM site, it's OK.

Judging form the ECM site, it's OK.

It's not in print here. That's an import for me.

The new duo album with Stan Tracey is terrific by the way (the 2nd one--I haven't heard the 1st).  It's fairly jazz-oriented too--downright groovy on the title track "Crevulation".

Yep, a great record but the first one, SUSPENSIONS AND ANTICIPATIONS still keep the lead. For my taste, the best record of PARKER in duo with a pianist. And I like the record he has done in the company of AGUSTI FERNANDEZ or JOHN TILBURY. But SUSPENSIONS is in another league (and it's "jazz-oriented" as well)

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures from this year's Appleby Festival.

This is a largely mainstream festival built round UK musicians from the 60s/70s generation - Tracey, Wellins, King, Beck etc - but also has a major free element centred on Parker.

On Sunday he organises a 5 hour stint of free improv in a nearby former church; there's also a set in the main marquee, this year by his sextet.

So...

Here's the church...

...and, finally, here's the sextet in absolutely roaring form on 30th July...

A festival well worth going out of your way for if you're in the UK in late july one year. Do you really need to see Buckingham Palace? The countryside around Appelby is spectacular!

Apologies for photo quality - all taken on a bog standard digital which does not cope well with low light.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Some pictures from this year's Appleby Festival.

[...]

On Sunday he organises a 5 hour stint of free improv in a nearby former church; there's also a set in the main marquee, this year by his sextet.

And over the last several years, portions of the improv concert have been released by Psi Records (which is distributed by Emanem Records).

I've been listening to Conic Sections for the first time today and have really been enjoying it. I'm not sure if this disc is still in print, but I would highly recommend tracking down a copy if you can.

I'll throw out another plug for The Snake Decides, which, for those who can't get enough of Evan's solo discs, is very much worth hearing.

psi0306.jpeg