Evan Parker

7/4

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just been sent notification from Squidco of this release. Vinyl only. solo concert. Interesting.

artworks-000043205872-342vwc-original.jp

I was at the release concert, which featured Evan Parker in the same venue. It's a great album, recorded on the same tour as the At the Finger Palace record. It was $15 at the source.

• 4 months later...

Recent interview with Evan Parker. http://thequietus.com/articles/12819-evan-parker-interview

In it, he mentions that his psi label is winding down.

"The psi story has just come to a close. The work that Martin Davidson did both technically and administratively was essential. He is soon going to live in Spain; without the close collaboration that living in the same town made possible, I cannot make sense of continuing.

I am thinking about my next move, but the artists who entrusted psi with their work will have the rights in their works returned to them as we gradually dismantle to label.

The A&R decisions were all mine. I am more interested in specific works of individuals than in genre. The label was just about things that I liked and people whose work I respected."

I read about that somewhere too. Had assumed that the Emanem/PSI archive would always be there. It's the sort of catalogue it's good to dip into every now and then. Be sad to see many of these discs vanish. Though its a miracle most ever got released.

But good to see the music reverting to the performers

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Here's a cheer for Martin Davidson, too. His Emanem, his love for the music and its artists, his dedication, and his great energy have done a world of good for improvised music during these last four decades. It certainly has also been good to see him and Evan Parker working together on Psis.

:tup:

full schedule up - I think it is a mis-print that shows John hebert on drums rather than bass!

plus it irritates the hell out of me when they spell Mat Maneri's last name wrong.

I be going Wed & Friday and maybe I make it in for what will be a very crowded little room on Saturday for the duo with Milford Graves

9/17 Tuesday
8 and 10pm
Rocket Science
Peter Evans (trumpet) Craig Taborn (piano) Sam Pluta (computer) Evan Parker (saxes)

9/18 Wednesday
8 pm
Duos
Evan Parker (saxes) John Escreet (piano) John Hébert (drums) Tyshawn Sorey (percussion)

10 pm
Quartet
Evan Parker (saxes) John Escreet (piano) John Hébert (drums) Tyshawn Sorey (percussion)

9/19 Thursday

8 pm
Bleeding Edge Trio
Peter Evans (trumpet) Okkyung Lee (cello) Evan Parker (saxes)

10 pm
Evan Parker and Han Earl Park
Evan Parker (saxes) Han Earl Park (guitar)

9/20 Friday
8 pm
Mat Manieri, Lucian Ban, Evan Parker
Mat Manieri (viola) Lucian Ban (piano) Evan Parker (saxes)

10 pm
Evan Parker and Sylvie Courvoisier
Evan Parker (saxes)Sylvie Courvoisier (piano)

9/21 Saturday
8 and 10pm
Milford Graves and Evan Parker
Milford Graves (percussion) Evan Parker (tenor sax)
TWENTY DOLLARS.

9/22 Sunday
8 pm
Jeremiah Cymerman, Nate Wooley, Evan Parker
Jeremiah Cymerman (clarinet, electronics) Nate Wooley (trumpet) Evan Parker (saxes)

10 pm
Solos and Duos
Ned Rothenberg (reeds, shakuhachi) Evan Parker (saxes)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Am I just imagining a communal-music recording (non-jazz, more ethno-collage) from the late 60s with Parker on it? I think it's on Columbia or EMI, some major label, but absolutely impossible to find. Parker, as I recall, was the only 'name.'

Clifford, I'm only about 10 years late in responding to you on this but are you thinking about Basil Kirchin 'Worlds Within Worlds'? That one came out on UK Columbia (sort of - it never made full release I believe).

Or maybe the Terry Durham 'Crystal Telephone' on Deram?

Edited by sidewinder

9/17 Tuesday
8 and 10pm
Rocket Science
Peter Evans (trumpet) Craig Taborn (piano) Sam Pluta (computer) Evan Parker (saxes)

This group just released an album on Evan's More is More label. I'm curious to hear it. And the album that the Evans/Lee/Parker trio made about a year ago is great.

9/17 Tuesday

8 and 10pm

Rocket Science

This group just released an album on Evan's More is More label. I'm curious to hear it. And the album that the Evans/Lee/Parker trio made about a year ago is great.

Seems like something I'd like to hear.

Sad to read about psi. Will Emanem still continue?

Probably not - this has been precipitated because Martin Davidson is moving to Spain. Sales from both labels have been in constant slow decline.

Good news: I just got an email from Mr. Davidson, who is already living in Spain. He confirms that psi has stopped production, although he has stock of most titles. But Emanem will continue, although the production of new releases will slow down.

Psi and Emanem both present a challenge to those interested - there are so many desirable titles! It looks to me like once a title goes OOP it is rarely if ever reprinted and I guess now for Psi that means never. If you have ever looked for FMP titles on amazon or ebay and chewed through your finger when you saw the prices - if you could find the title at all - then you know how it will get with some of these titles perhaps before long.

On the topic of rights reverting to artists, all very ethical, but the practical downside is that the artists will be unlikely to reissue them for economic reasons and - whatever formats the future will favor for its reissues (they'll be 'sonic implants' by that time of course) - no-one will ever be able to purchase and reissue the label as a whole. I guess the times are gone when anything like that could happen so maybe not an issue.

No worries, maybe, there's a billion items of recorded music on your desktop, but I'd still say now is the time to have (another) dip into Psi, and into Emanem, before - you know - -

Anyone suggest where I can obtain the EP LP Western Front without paying big sums for shipping

Last night I tried to order directly from the Western Front Website -> $ Can20 -> thought that was reasonable but then I was hit with a $40 shipping fee (luckily I was able to cancel my order)

I just wish they would have produced a digital version (CD) - you do get a code to obtain a digital download if you buy the LP but I don't really want to spend $60 on an LP