Evan Parker

7/4

Incredible video of a Schlippenbach Quartett (Workman) concert from Atlanta, 1998.

Jeff, were you there? I'm guessing you know the poster of the video, Scott Burland. He has many others including Brotzmann Tentet + duos with Drake & Cyrille, DKV, Trio 3, and a couple of yourself. Great resource!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible video of a Schlippenbach Quartett (Workman) concert from Atlanta, 1998.

Jeff, were you there? I'm guessing you know the poster of the video, Scott Burland. He has many others including Brotzmann Tentet + duos with Drake & Cyrille, DKV, Trio 3, and a couple of yourself. Great resource!

Scott's one of my best friends, and a member of one of the most interesting improvising ensembles in Atlanta, Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel - which is exactly what it says it is, and kind of magical. Scott has been posting his video archive online, and yes, there is some amazing stuff there.

No, I wasn't there. There were some amazing shows in Atlanta in that period, and although I attended many of them, I missed many. During those days I was keeping body and soul together in part by playing commercial music in "tuxedo bands." I worked a lot, and often had gigs which caused me to miss shows I would have liked to attend. Some of those missed opportunities were just heartbreaking to me, but eating and having a roof over my head seemed fairly important at the time.

On the other hand, I heard almost the same quartet - with George Lewis in place of Workman - around the same time, as well as lots of other great shows. I walked to the Brotzmann Tentet show Scott has posted - it was in my Atlanta neighborhood.

Edited by jeffcrom

Listened/watched first 20 minutes. Workman is immense. I wish more bassist would have their volume as high in the mix as the great bassist does here. Great to hear him mesh with three great first generation euro improvisors.

Also love Lytton's start with the racket he makes like he is cleaning the area around his kit. And maybe no drummer clatters like Paul Lytton. For me it gets more endearing as the years go by whereas in the past I didn't know WTF to think about him, it's pretty clear to me what a focused improvisor he is with these long standing partnerships.

Scott's one of my best friends, and a member of one of the most interesting improvising ensembles in Atlanta, Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel - which is exactly what it says it is, and kind of magical. Scott has been posting his video archive online, and yes, there is some amazing stuff there.

No, I wasn't there. There were some amazing shows in Atlanta in that period, and although I attended many of them, I missed many. During those days I was keeping body and soul together in part by playing commercial music in "tuxedo bands." I worked a lot, and often had gigs which caused me to miss shows I would have liked to attend. Some of those missed opportunities were just heartbreaking to me, but eating and having a roof over my head seemed fairly important at the time.

On the other hand, I heard almost the same quartet - with George Lewis in place of Workman - around the same time, as well as lots of other great shows. I walked to the Brotzmann Tentet show Scott has posted - it was in my Atlanta neighborhood.

Yes!! The original tour of the Tentet. I saw the band on the same tour in NY @ Tonic. In retrospect, this was a very strong time for this sort of improvisation both live and on record. It might have been the same year I first saw Evan Parker live - but I know Lytton and Von Schlippenbach were not with him, so it might have been a year earlier, I guess. It was with Dresser and Previte at The Knitting Factory downstairs.

Changed my musical perspective, those two shows.

Nice, thks. listening right now.

Wow, Parker and The Necks - a rather unlikely combination ... wonder what that will come out like!

some clue here

http://thebluemoment.com/2013/11/07/the-necks-in-london/

I can't wait to see what they make of each other

I am kind of curious too. I admit that I don't get the Necks. I mean, I think I get them but I don't get it. Other people think it's deep or whatever. But I think Evans has the whereabouts to make them sound better than ever.

Edited by uli

More 70th birthday celebrations. I like the way it's programmed across the two venues

Mon 20/10 Cafe Oto - EP and The Necks

Tues 21/10 Vortex - EP, Joe McPhee, John Edwards, Chris Corsano

Weds 22/10 Cafe Oto - EP and AMM

Thurs 23/10 Vortex - EP, Black Top (Pat Thomas, Orphy Robinson), JOhn Edwards, Steve Noble

Fri 24/10 Cafe Oto - EP, John Russell, John Edwards

sat 25/10 Vortex - EP + Trance Map Quartet (Barry Guy, Hannah Marshall, Matt Wright)

Sun 26/10 cafe Oto - EP Electro Acoustic Ensemble

That's a hell of a celebration.

I'm definitely be going to The Necks evening and will hope to make a couple others, life permitting

Wonder how much of this will be recorded?

what a week of EP - tempted to fly over & catch him

Go Necks!! - great Australian Unit

Good news on the NYC front too; EP will be playing a couple of sets with Fred Van Hove.

What?! Where???

Look up the listing @ The Stone for Wednesday 9/10. The great pianist is listed on piano as an introduction to each set. One has to think he will join the two bands as well. I be there by 7:00 for a front row seat. It might go without saying that I've never seen him before. I'm not not sure I remember a visit from him to NYC in my time following the music.

Good news on the NYC front too; EP will be playing a couple of sets with Fred Van Hove.

What?! Where???

Look up the listing @ The Stone for Wednesday 9/10. The great pianist is listed on piano as an introduction to each set. One has to think he will join the two bands as well. I be there by 7:00 for a front row seat. It might go without saying that I've never seen him before. I'm not not sure I remember a visit from him to NYC in my time following the music.

Sorry, I just saw these posts. Van Hove was supposed to do a short East Coast tour back in 2012. One stop was An Die Musik, on Nov 3, 2012; a duo session with Lou Grassi. Something happened--I can't remember what- and Van Hove had to cancel the Baltimore date. I'm not sure if he actually did perform anywhere else (I've heard conflicting accounts).

Fast forward to September 2104 and Van Hove is again scheduled to play with Grassi, as well as Evan Parker. Grassi and Van Hove have some dates in Brooklyn. Details here:

http://www.lougrassi.com/PerformanceSchedule.html

• 1 month later...

yeah I have had a couple of copies; the current one is a white label from the mid-70s that sounds really good to my ears. I had one that sounded pretty shitty but it was easy to sell for like $60 or whatever. A first would be nice but I'm not sweating it too hard.

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 5 months later...