Universal and British Jazz

John Delaney

The following letter appears in the new July/August issue of 'Jazz UK' and is in response to some comments made by Mr Graves, the current head of Jazz for Universal in Britain, which appeared in a recent edition.

(I would normally have given a URL for the piece but it is within an Adobe Acrobat document. Indeed the whole magazine can be read on line by going to http://www.jazzservices.org.uk/ and clicking in the appropriate place. You will need Acrobat Reader).

_________

"IMPRESSED?

Dear JazzUK,

A few points about Universal's holdings of British

jazz ( Issue 50).

Coverage of the Impressed compilation seems

to have so far ignored the work of the Redial label,

which I established at Polygram some time in the

last century – and which reissued such sets as

Tubby Hayes' Down In The Village and Late Spot At

Scott's and Joe Harriott's Free Form. In 1998, I left

behind a projected schedule of reissues of many of

the records which the article mentions. However,

Universal apparently decided to abandon the label.

It is a little surprising to now read that Mr Graves

suddenly responded to a tape of a few tracks made

by Gilles Peterson.

As far as Tony Higgins' detective

work' is concerned, there shouldn' be any

difficulty over the original tapes. Polygram acquired

the Lansdowne catalogue in 1979 (primarily to exploit

its holding of Roger Whitaker records!), and it was

stored in a very well maintained and easily-accessed

archive. Universal also holds all the relevant jazz

tapes of Fontana and Vertigo. These labels have not,

in fact, 'changed hands so often'.

On costs, unless there are extraordinary

remastering problems, the initiation costs and other

considerations of a reissue are miniscule compared

to the investment required for a new record. This is

why major labels these days spend so much time on

back catalogue. For this new series to depend on

sales figures for Impressed is another oddity.

However, Universal's caution may be not entirely

misplaced. Despite all the clamour to reissue the Joe

Harriott records, the Redial editions actually sold

rather disappointingly (certainly in comparison with

the Hayes releases). Like many so-called collectors'

items, they are prized primarily by collectors. But it's

unfortunate that the UK jazz audience isn't seen as

reason enough to reissue these records, and that

they have to be somehow 'crossed over' to justify

their existence.

Richard Cook, West London."

The letter makes interesting reading particularly the revelation that Universal now owns the Lansdowne label. There's a lot of good stuff there! Let's hope we get to listen to it.

John Delaney

I agrre David, I doubt the G. Peterson connection willdo much.

If the record ( soorry CD sells well I doubt it's because of Peterson, but more from people like yo and me, who are eager to get this music out on CD. I normally don't buy comps.. but bought the Peterson, because the Music is rare ( I'm not prepared to pay the used vinyl prices these discs bring) and I hoped sales would prompt re issue of the complete discs ( with unissued material if possible ;) )

Wonder what "miniscule" means... I might be tempted :g

Here's a post from the AAJ board re: UK reissues. It was posted by someone who uses the handle 'Stan Tracey' (not the real one!):

Good News!!!

Here's a copy of an email I just received (no joke)

Hi Gareth,

I understand you've been in touch with Tom Lewis at Universal about reissuing many classic but long neglected jazz albums. I worked on the recent 'Impressed' album with Gilles Peterson. It's amazing to think that this has been the first proper look at this incredibly inventive time.

I amworking on volume 2 of Impressed and hope to include tracks by Neil Ardley,Stan Tracy, Mike Westbrook etc.

Please find below a list of albums I hope to

reissue over the next 2-3 years:

Mike Taylor Quartet - PENDULUM (Columbia SX 6042) 1965

Mike Taylor Trio - TRIO (Columbia SX 6137) 1966

Dusko Goykovich - Swinging Macedonia (Columbia SX 6260)

Neil Ardley - Ian Carr - Mike Gibbs - Stan Tracey - Argo (E)

ZDA164/65,1974

Stan Tracey Trio - Perspectives (Columbia) (LP) (E) SCX 6485

Stan Tracey - UNDER MILK WOOD (Columbia)

Stan Tracey with his Big Band - Seven Ages of Man (Columbia) (LP) (E) SCX6413

Stan Tracey Quartet - Free An' One (Columbia) (LP) (E) SCX 6385, 1969

The Stan Tracey Big Brass - We Love You Madly (Columbia) (LP) (E)

SCX6320 &

Philips (LP) (Eu) 849.105BY.

Stan Tracey - The Latin American Caper (Columbia) SCX6358, 1968

Stan Tracey Quartet - With Love from Jazz - (Columbia) (E) SX6205 ,

The Stan Tracey Big Band: Alice in Jazzland - (Columbia) EMI (LP) SCX

Paul Gonsalves/Tubby Hayes - JUST FRIENDS - (Columbia) EMI (LP) SX

(SCX)

6003 , 1965

Neil Ardley - WILL POWER (Argo ZDA 164/5) 1974 R2

Neil Ardley - A SYMPHONY OF AMARANTHS (Regal Zonophone SLR2 1028) 1972

R2

New Jazz Orchestra - WESTERN UNION (Decca SKL 4690) 1965 R2

Neil Ardley, Ian Carr & Don Rendell - GREEK VARIATIONS (Columbia / SCX

6414) 1970

Laurie Johnson Conducts Music For Combined Jazz and Symphony Orchestra

-

SYNTHESIS (Columbia EMI SCX 6412)

New Jazz Orchestra - DEJEUNER SUR L'HERBE (Verve SVLP 9236) 1969

Michael Garrick Trio - COLD MOUNTAIN (Argo ZDA 153) 1972

Michael Garrick Band - HOME STRETCH BLUES (ZDA 154 Argo / Decca) 1972

Michael Garrick - TROPPO (1974)

Michael Garrick - HEART IS A LOTUS

Michael Garrick - OCTOBER WOMAN (Argo (Z)DA 33) 1965

Michael Garrick Septet - BLACK MARIGOLDS (Argo)

Rendell / Carr Quintet - SHADES OF BLUE

Rendell / Carr Quintet - DUSK FIRE

Rendell / Carr Quintet - PHASE III

Rendell / Carr Quintet - LIVE

Rendell / Carr Quintet - CHANGE IS

Amancio D'Silva - INTEGRATION

Guy Warren - AFRO JAZZ

Mike Westbrook - RELEASE / MARCHING SONGS / LOVE SONGS

I hope to be bale to reissue most, if not all, on both CD and LP with

original artwork plus extra sleeve notes and tracks where applicable.

Best regards,

Tony Higgins

Full thread can be found at http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread....ht=British+Jazz

Edited by Bev Stapleton

You can get Amaranths now direct from Neil Ardley himself. Have a look here:

www.neilardley.com

(Wasn't working a few minutes ago but I ordered it + another Ardley disc from the 60s a few weeks back)

They appear to be self made CDs but sound perfectly acceptable given the time recorded. No 798 bit Super-XYZ remastering but...

Thanks for this - will hang fire and wait for the vinyl, assuming that these releases will come to pass ...

Have been listening to a vinyl of 'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows' of late. Superb concept album, really whetted my appetite for the other 2 albums in this Ardley trilogy.

Good to see the Michael Garricks in the list too. I see that he is doing a duet concert at Rays Jazz Shop in London this month. Free as well, I believe :)

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 year later...

westbr_mike_celebrati_101b.jpg

Just received this one in the mail yesterday, and had a chance to listen closely to the first half of the album. This is my first exposure to Westbrook, and, while I certainly have no definitive impression of the music yet (and know this is relatively early in Westbrook's career), I like what's being played here, with John Surman making the most positive impression so far. Westbrook, at least in this point in time, seems fairly strongly influenced by Gil Evans and Charles Mingus, but one can already hear an original voice taking root. I've heard Mike Osborne before, and he improved immensely down the road, as at this juncture (1967), his intonation and melodic ideas, at least to me, sound a little unsure. Still, this doesn't take away from the creativity of the band as a whole. Also very interesting to hear Harry Miller on bass this early on.

Is there a complete list anywhere of the "Re-Pressed Impressed" series? And, any guesses as to why the two Peterson comps (which I'm eager to explore) are so expensive?

:rsmile: Late - there's an advert for the 'Impressed Repressed' series at the back of June's 'Jazzwise' magazine. Here are the items currently out or just about to be issued:

Mike Taylor Trio - 'Trio'

Michael Garrick - 'Troppo'

Amancio D'Silva - 'Integration'

Neil Ardley, Ian Carr & Don Rendell - 'Greek Variations'

Mike Westbrook Concert Band - 'Celebration'.

Most of these items were, of course, in their original LP form extremely rare. A copy of the Taylor 'Trio' LP has apparently recently been sold at auction for over £1k. The Garrick 'Troppo' also originally sold in very limited quantities when it came out in 1974 in the hundreds only ! Looks like the cover art for some of these is also now lost - the CD of 'Troppo' shows evidence of cover ring wear so it is taken from an old LP copy.

Basically, the above list is a partial holy grail of very rare UK jazz - you can get most of these in the shops here from between £8 and £11 so they are excellent value compared with extortionate prices fetched by the LPs.

There's quite a few items earmarked for issue (according to the 'Impressed 2' sleevenotes). These include the Ardley 'Symphony of Aramanths', a total rediscovery from Lansdowne (never issued) called 'Mike Taylor Remembered', an new Amancio D'Silva session (discovered by his widow apparently in a box of belongings) and other such gems.

The 'Celebration' disk is a great one. I have a copy on the previous Deram reissue and it is probably my favourite Westbrook recording. A real freshness to the music - obvious Mingus and Gil Evans influences but with clear influence of British choral and brass band music. Surman is also really hot on this session. Somewhat comparable in terms of feel and quality to the Surman/Warren 'Tales of the Algonquin' (an ABSOLUTE classic :tup ).

The cheapest price I have seen for 'Impressed 2' has been £8.99 at the Amazon UK web site. Having said that, most of the UK high street shops are peddling it around £15, which is a rip-off. Both it and 'Impressed Vol 1' are very highly recommended (they get regular airplay on my system).

Great times for reissued British Jazz !

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, when you throw in the recent reissue of five Rendell/Carr LPs it is indeed a great time.

The Westbrook you hear on Celebration, Late, is only part of a long and varied career. I'd say his recordings up to the mid-70s follow a similar path (with a brief foray into jazz-rock or even rock-jazz with Solid Gold Cadillac).

From the late 70s his music gets an increasingly theatrical element with increasing use of song (often ranging over many European languages).

If you're interested in following Westbrook a bit further you might be able to track down 'Marching Song' and 'Release' which are similar to 'Celebration' - both got reissues in the late 90s but have been discontinued.

Westbrook's masterpiece - and to my mind one of the great jazz albums - is 'The Cortege'. A mammoth two hour piece with superb arrangements and wonderful soloing.

Another great one is 'Bright as Fire', and album of his William Blake arrangements. He re-recorded this in extended form on an Enja disc called 'Glad Day' which unusually is equally as good as the original!

And I'd also talk up his most recent large scale piece, 'Chanson Irresponsable'. I've found some of his recent theatrical pieces a bit heavy going but 'Chanson' is a much more colourful piece.

I'm quite optimistic that the recent Universal interest in UK jazz might well take off in a way that the Redial series didn't. It seems to have been well promoted, lots of articles in the UK jazz magzines (and at the time of Redial there only 3, possibly two!) and lots of discussion and alerting via the net.

Another thing that will play in their favour in the UK is a series due for broadcast in February 2005 - three hour long films about the growth of jazz in the UK. Tony Higgins, the man behind Impressed, is central to the series. I'm not suggesting this will get the general public running out for 'Impressed' but it might just get the existing jazz public in the UK at least buying some of these discs.

I'm fully expecting to hear an item on the Radio 4 'Today' programme about this one Saturday. They love these 'rediscovery' stories!

You can read a couple of articles about the Rendall-Carrs and Higgins work in Adobe format by clicking on the JazzUK icon at the top of this page:

http://www.jazzservices.org.uk/

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Thanks Sidewinder and Bev. Yesterday I listened to the B-side of Celebration, and really enjoyed it. I do hear that choral (or brass choir) reference you mention, Sidewinder. I know that I'm going to return to this album frequently! (Bev — the recommendations have been duly noted! Thanks.)

Dusty Groove sells Impressed Vol. 1 for $22.99, and Vol. 2 for $24.99! Egad! Any posters here in the States know a way to acquire these for a more reasonable price? I'd pounce on both were they in the $13-$15 range.

Since this is a British Jazz thread, let me throw out a few more questions at random:

• Anyone hear pick up Michael Garrick's Promises? Joe Harriot with Tony Coe? What's it like?

• How about all those Jimmy Deuchar albums reissued by Jasmine? Relatively standard fare bebop? (Not that that's a bad thing ... ) Or more "chamber jazz"?

• What happened to the UK Columbia series? The Howard Riley and Tony Oxley reissues were great, and then, to my knowledge, the series seemed to evaporate. (A side note: Have any of you noticed that Riley's compositions often sound a lot like Annette Peacock's compositions? I wonder if the two knew of each other. When Riley plays, say on The Day Will Come, I often think of Paul Bley playing Annette Peacock tunes.)

All the 60s Garrick's are long OOP - though I know one got released in Japan a while back. I think it might have been 'Promises'.

The Garricks seem to be one of the prime candidates for reissue. Tony Higgins seems a big fan. If the 'Impressed' bandwagon roles on for a couple of years we might see them all out.

I'd say grab them while they're here!

You get some idea of what has been lying buried in this list:

Michael Garrick recordings:

as leader :-

Blues For The Lonely

45T/EP

Columbia SEG 8244 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Joe HARRIOTT [reeds]; Shake KEANE [trumpet]; Jeremy ROBSON [reader]

Kronos

LP Jan-Feb 1959

HEP 2013 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Peter SHADE [vibes]; Brian BARNES [drums]; Paul HEMMINGS [bass]

A Case Of Jazz

EP 1963

AIRBONE (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Shake KEANE [trumpet]; Coleridge GOODE [bass]

Poetry And Jazz In Concert

2 LPs 1963

ARGO ZDA 26/27 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Joe HARRIOTT [alto]; Shake KEANE [trumpet]; John TAYLOR [bass], Colin BARNES [drums], Laurie LEE & Jeremy ROBSON [reader]

October Woman

LP 1964

ARGO ZDA 33 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Joe HARRIOTT [alto]; Shake KEANE [trumpet]; Coleridge GOODE [bass]; Colin BARNES [drums]

Moonscape

LP 1964

AIRBONE NBP 0004 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Dave GREEN [bass]; John TAYLOR [bass]; Colin BARNES [drums]

Promises

LP May 1965

ARGO ZDA 36 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Joe HARRIOTT [alto]; Ian CARR [trumpet, flugelhorn]; Tony COE [tenor sax, clarinet] ; Coleridge GOODE & Dave GREEN [bass]; Colin BARNES [drums]

Before Night/Day

LP 1966

ARGO EAF 115 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Jeremy ROBSON [poet]; Coleridge GOODE [bass] ; Joe HARRIOTT [alto]; Ian CARR [trumpet]; Colin BARNES [drums]

Black Marigolds

LP Jan-Feb 1966

ARGO ZDA 88 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Don RENDELL [alto/tenor sax, clarinet, flugelhorn); Ian CARR [trumpet, flugelhorn]; Joe HARRIOTT [alto]; Tony COE [trumpets, clarinet]; Dave GREEN [bass]; Trevor TOMKINS [drums]; Colin BARNES [drums]; John SMITH [poet]

Jazz Praises At St Paul's

LP 25 Oct 1968

AIRBORNE NBP 0021 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Joe HARRIOTT [reeds]; Art THEMEN & Jim PHILIP [tenor, clarinet, flute]; Joe HARRIOTT [reeds]; Ian CARR [trumpet, flugelhorn]; Coleridge GOODE [bass]; John MARSHALL [drums]; Chorus of St Michael's - Peter MOUND [conductor]; John SMITH [poet]

Poetry And Jazz

2 LPs 1969

ARGO ZPR 264/265 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Art THEMEN [reeds]; Dave GREEN [bass]; Trevor TOMKINS [drums]; Ian CARR [horn]; Don RENDELL [saxophones]; and seven POETS

The Heart Is A Lotus

LP 20-22 Jan 1970

ARGO ZDA 135 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano, harpsichord]; Art THEMEN [flute, clarinet, saxophones]; Jim PHILIP [clarinet, flute, tenor sax]; Don RENDELL [flute, saxophones]; Ian CARR [trumpet, flugelhorn]; Dave GREEN & Coleridge GOODE [bass]; Trevor TOMKINS [drums]; Norma WINSTONE [vocals]

Mr Smith's Apocalypse

LP 1971

ARGO ZAGF 1 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [organ]; Don RENDELL [flute, saxophones]; Art THEMEN [flute, clarinet, saxophones]; Henry LOWTHER [trumpet, flugelhorn]; Coleridge GOODE [bass]; Trevor TOMKINS [drums], Norma WINSTONE [vocals]; John SMITH & George MURCELL & Betty MULCAHY [speech]; CHORUS

Home Stretch Blues

LP 07 Apr 1972

ARGO ZDA 154 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Art THEMEN & Don RENDELL [reeds]; Henry LOWTHER [trumpet, flugelhorn]; Dave GREEN [bass]; Trevor TOMKINS [drums]; Norma WINSTONE [vocals]

Cold Mountain

LP 6-7 Apr 1972

ARGO ZDA 153 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Dave GREEN [bass]; Trevor TOMKINS [drums]

Troppo

LP 13, 25 & 26 Oct 1973

ARGO ZDA 163 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Norma WINSTONE [vocals]; Henry LOWTHER [trumpet, flugelhorn]; Don RENDELL [flute, sax]; Dave GREEN & Coleridge GOODE [bass]; Trevor TOMKINS [drums]; Art THEMEN [flute, sax]

You've Changed

LP 19 May 1978

HEP 2011 (UK)

Michael GARRICK [piano]; Chris LAURENCE [bass]; Alan JACKSON [drums]; Don WELLER [ten sax]

(From http://www.jazzscript.co.uk/extra/garricklps.htm)

I'd imagine ordering Impressed direct from the UK might be cheaper.

Amazon UK has Impressed II at £8.99 (about $16...believe me that's cheap here! I paid £13.99 in the shops...about $25!) with a £3 air mail charge. Which I suppose is about the same price as Dusty Groove!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I've just got hold of the Ardley 'Greek Variations', cost about £10. Beautifully remastered from the original tapes. sounds excellent. The first part (side 1 of the LP) is the 'suite' by Ardley plus orchstra, Rendell/Carr being extensively featured. The second part (side 2 of the suite) has small-group material, again featuring Rendell/Carr. Great stuff !

Looks also like these are in major demand. The guy at the shop I bought the Ardley from confirmed that they were encountering delays with re-ordering this title.

Will probably opt for the Mike Taylor and Amancio D'Silva next...

Edited by sidewinder

Since this is a British Jazz thread, let me throw out a few more questions at random...

Love for some more questions and answers at random too! The only time I peruse the 'other' board is to swim throught the various threads in general discussion and discographies that cover British jazz. Bev, PD and the others are truly rife with knowledge here. I'd love to see a thread take off that covered this genre as much as the recent Brazilian/Hard Bossa!

I sprang for the Impressed 2 and can say it's a very, very solid disc with Mosaic quality notes that makes one thirst for more.

Now I can only hope that all those Fontana Tubbies were available in one shot!

I've just got hold of the Ardley 'Greek Variations', cost about £10. Beautifully remastered from the original tapes. sounds excellent. The first part (side 1 of the LP) is the 'suite' by Ardley plus orchstra, Rendell/Carr being extensively featured. The second part (side 2 of the suite) has small-group material, again featuring Rendell/Carr. Great stuff !

Looks also like these are in major demand. The guy at the shop I bought the Ardley from confirmed that they were encountering delays with re-ordering this title.

Will probably opt for the Mike Taylor and Amancio D'Silva next...

Nice to hear they're selling well. That's what is needed to keep the flow coming.

Ardley's 'Symphony of Amaranths' is another beauty, due to be part of this series soon.

I think you can still track down 'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows' on CD, the Ardley I first recall hearing around 1974-5.

If anyone would like to take Michael Garrick's "Troppo" off of my hands I'd welcome an offer. Fresh from the Bastards and only in the player for a run through.

PM me ... Seriously!

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this one (sounds like you're not too impressed.. :huh: )

well since i just did a scan through i can say that the musicality is supreme. Garrick and Rendell are stunning. the sound (mastering) is out freeking standing. it is the addition of Winstone in the front line that is not my cup of tea. i really loved that "Jaipur" cut from 'impressed one' but i get a bit off put by this type of work. she has a truly beautiful voice and it's reminding me of say Jay Clayton more than Gene Lees ... very, very different and almost without compare. i just have a hard time and i'd rather it not be on. if however you like her vocalizations then you are up for a treat as the boys in the band are doing just fine. not to sound too much like a "bastard" - heady stuff with a big bit of a modal groove on.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm