July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

I'm sure this is a great set. I just don't think I could handle that much trombone. I got the Curtis Fuller box when it was Running Low. I realized then that I'm not much of a fan of trombone as a lead instrument.

I had the same concern before I got this set but, as I said earlier, I'm enjoying the set much more than I had anticipated. For one thing, Johnson's playing style falls much easier on my ears than that of a lot of other trombonists, and he also makes extensive use of muting to further round out his tone. But also, as trane_fantastic and others have noted, there are lots of other great musicians on this set (he didn't list Elvin Jones, who's terrific on the many tracks on which he appears). Further, some of these groups are heard across several sessions and lots of tracks, giving a nice structure to the set. As also mentioned previously, the arrangements are great, and there's a good mix of standards and original tunes, making this an extremely satisfying set of small-group straight-ahead jazz that wears well over the entire 7 discs.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this is a great set. I just don't think I could handle that much trombone. I got the Curtis Fuller box when it was Running Low. I realized then that I'm not much of a fan of trombone as a lead instrument.

... But also, as trane_fantastic and others have noted, there are lots of other great musicians on this set (he didn't list Elvin Jones, who's terrific on the many tracks on which he appears).

I did... the Jones bros. (Elvin, Hank & Sam) :D

... But also, as trane_fantastic and others have noted, there are lots of other great musicians on this set (he didn't list Elvin Jones, who's terrific on the many tracks on which he appears).

Sorry, I missed that! :blush: I guess I was looking for Elvin's name separately because he's on 6 sessions/25 tracks :excited:, whereas Hank's only on 2 sessions and Sam's on 3.

Sorry, I missed that! :blush: I guess I was looking for Elvin's name separately because he's on 6 sessions/25 tracks :excited:, whereas Hank's only on 2 sessions and Sam's on 3.

Actually, Sam is a brother from another mother, if ya dig my drift. Now, if Thad was on there, then the trifecta would be complete. :P

Actually, Sam is a brother from another mother, if ya dig my drift. Now, if Thad was on there, then the trifecta would be complete. :P

Yeah, yeah, THAT'S why I missed it! :g But you still f-cked up by not mentioning Elvin separately. :P

My Anita set arrived   !!!! 6 weeks by airmail to the UK- personal worst

Congratulations!

Any idea what went wrong? Did the package give any clues?

I'm certain if must have come surface as it's not been via Mount Pleasant (sp?) sorting office which is always stamped on airmailed items I've ever received. Surface parcels have no markings.

My Anita set arrived   !!!! 6 weeks by airmail to the UK- personal worst

Congratulations!

Any idea what went wrong? Did the package give any clues?

I'm certain if must have come surface as it's not been via Mount Pleasant (sp?) sorting office which is always stamped on airmailed items I've ever received. Surface parcels have no markings.

I'd report it to Mosaic if I were you. They should file a claim with the carrier they used for your package.

O'Day set now sold out.

As was already noted in this thread yesterday (post #367 above)...

But Hans, we can always use an update as to whether it's STILL sold out. :P

Yep, you're right, how stupid of me... :P

Not really that sorry I missed it. I'm glad it's gone so I wouldn't be tempted.

By the way, it's still sold out and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead :o

Edited by Brad

Not really that sorry I missed it.  I'm glad it's gone so I wouldn't be tempted.

By the way, it's still sold out and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead :o

Unlike the Generalissimo shiny new OOP copies of Anita are popping up on eBay (I'm shocked!)

So keep that guard up! ;)

I'm with you by the way. Some of these sets you just have to let pass on by. (I think I just heard a few "NEVER's" out there regarding that last sentence, along with some "BUT NOT THIS ONE.")