July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the O'Day. I've heard the entire set before...it's essential...and I'm not much of a vocal jazz fan myself. But nobody is hipper than Anita...

As for being in print, there are some individual titles that you can get, however most of them are REALLY old Verve remastering jobs that sound like flat coke.

One of the things that surprised me about the Anita O'Day box... (since I knew nothing of her before buying it).. was that many critics said she didn't have much technical/dynamic range... (and I would agree with that assessment) AND she knew how to make all kinds of songs work both at an emotional level and a technical level... (and today with all these "wanna-be" vocalists trying constantly to do too much with a song... ) Anita often knew exactly when to accentuate and when not to....

Another of the things I really liked about the set... is that I played it pretty consecutively and never really got bored... I mean when you listen to 10 hours (in a row) of any artist it's easy to feel like it's repetitious.... but I never felt this with this set...

The only other Mosaic set I felt that way about... (sorry Ron S.... I know this is on your "to buy" list and you just bit the O'Day/JJ bullett).... but it is the Elvin Jones.... Just totally interesting from 1st to last cut...

Finally... I know some of this is out on individvual CDs... but I know that I wouldn't have appreciated the scope/consistency/vibrancy of her work, if I had purchased one or two individual CD's....The totality of the box feels like I've seen her in concert 6 or 7 times.. (with different settings and bands)...

I just really, really liked this set.... but that's just my humble opinion...

:tup:tup:tup:tup

Re: Kid Ory Set

Here's an earlier thread.

Thanks! I would welcome any additional comments, although it probably does not matter now as I have decided that I will probably place an order for the Ory set tomorrow morning. Mosaic was down to about 200 sets when I called them earlier this afternoon.

As for the Anita O'Day/J.J. Johnson debate, I would say that these are both great sets. However, I think that the J.J. Johnson will probably last another month based upon B. Goren's information that there were 700 sets left earlier today. The Anita O'Day, on the other hand, will probably disappear a lot more quickly. The difference in prices between these sets is not significant (~$32). Moreover, I believe that significantly fewer Anita O'Day sets were pressed relative to the J.J. Johnson set, meaning that it will probably be a lot harder (and a lot more expensive) to purchase a set second-hand somewhere down the road.

Edited by Edward

I know both these sets are expensive, but do not under any circumstances let either the O'Day or the Johnson get away. As I've said other times and in other places, the O'Day is my favorite vocal Mosaic and, outside the Sarah Vaughn, I think I've got them all. There's just something about the way she takes on a song that makes her one of a kind. A true jazz singer.

The Johnson is among my top five instrumental Mosaics. Again, as has been mentioned elsewhere, one of the big plusses here, and one of the big surprises as well, is the tenor saxophone of Bobby Jaspar. You just don't run into him all that often and these recordings make a strong case for how good he really was. His playing is probably more well represented on this set than it is anywhere else.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Hi everybody!

The subject of the J.J. set is enough to bring some joy to my recently rather miserable life. It should on no accounts be missed! As mentioned above, Jaspar is very good, the overall playing and arrangements are way above par, and the probability that much of this material will be available again during the next decade is slim.

My favorite Mosaic set.

I completely agree about the Jaspar comment..... It's really a shame he wasn't that well known...

quote=Dave James,Jul 26 2005, 12:05 AM]

The Johnson is among my top five instrumental Mosaics. Again, as has been mentioned elsewhere, one of the big plusses here, and one of the big surprises as well, is the tenor saxophone of Bobby Jaspar. You just don't run into him all that often and these recordings make a strong case for how good he really was. His playing is probably more well represented on this set than it is anywhere else.

Up over and out.

The subject of the J.J. set is enough to bring some joy to my recently rather miserable life. It should on no accounts be missed! As mentioned above, Jaspar is very good, the overall playing and arrangements are way above par, and the probability that much of this material will be available again during the next decade is slim.

My favorite Mosaic set.

Couldn't have said it better. My favorite Mosaic as well.

Just got an email from Mosaic. They have 300 O'Day and 700 J.J.Johnson sets left. I have a bit of time ahead of me then! :)

Unless there's a license-imposed time limit on the O'Day. You may want to check that out.

Thanks Ron. I have just emailed them and this is their answer: 'We will sell the rest of our inventory which is now about 275.Please check back in 1-2 weeks to verify availability'. This one is going rather quickly.

Edited by ASNL77

Ordered O'Day and Johnson yesterday morning, and just received them this morning! :excited: Johnson is number 4278, and O'Day is number 2872, so apparently both are timing out. Looks like O'Day will end up being an edition of only about 3,000--potential Ebay red meat for anyone who's thinking of waiting? :huh:

Hi everybody!

My favorite Mosaic set.

This thread brings you back to life here! Then a very hearty welcome back!. Hope you troubles are over.

And post here more often! You're being missed!

Ordered O'Day and Johnson yesterday morning, and just received them this morning! :excited: Johnson is number 4278, and O'Day is number 2872, so apparently both are timing out.  Looks like O'Day will end up being an edition of only about 3,000--potential Ebay red meat for anyone who's thinking of waiting? :huh:

True! As I am not a big vocal jazz fan there will always be the possiblity to sell it for twice the original price if I don't like it. :P I can't really go wrong. This will be my first vocal jazz Mosaic set. :w

Edited by ASNL77

As much as I love this board, I'm always scared to read anything that has "Last Chance" or "Running Low" in the title. :rcry

J.J.'s been on my want list for a long time, so that's a no brainer. Looks like I have at least a few weeks before that one gets real low.... I hope.

The O'Day is one I never really considered, but after reading all of the accolades, it certainly looks like something I would enjoy. Plus, vocal jazz has the added benefit of being something that is tolerated on the car stereo on long trips, so anything that reduces the amount of Dave Matthews, Coldplay, or John Mayer that I have to listen to is definitely a GOOD THING! ;)

A quick search indicates that 8 of the 18 albums included in the Mosaic are readily available, for reasonable prices. Another 4 are available as (expensive) Japanese imports.

As Clunky already asked, "who needs nine discs of O'Day??!!!". Would buying a few of the single CD releases be a good introduction to her, or are the import/OOP sessions essential as well?