July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the J.J. and the O'Day for awhile and they are two of my favorite sets!!!

I took a chance on the kid Ory set -- I don't have anything by him. One of my favorite things lately is exploring new music through Mosaic sets. I recently purchased the Freddie Slack and Johnny Richards Mosaic Selects and I really like them a lot even though I had never heard of either prior to these sets.

So, I'll take my chances on the Ory set too...

Yes, I also bought the O'Day set plus the JJJ one.

Now! Yesterday there was a thread re. the JSP label, so I looked over their Web site and eventually I got to Amazon and saw this:

Start of quote:

"ILLEGAL RIP-OFF, June 8, 2005

Reviewer: Scott A. Wenzel

This box set is a rip-off of the Mosaic 7 disc set which can be found at www.mosaicrecords.com. JSP and other labels like Proper, take the hard work our engineers do (JRT Davies, Doug Pomeroy, Vince Caro) and without giving them a dime, burn their own CDs of Mosaic issues and this is one of them. The tune selections are the same as the Mosaic box which are the Vocalion, Brunswick and Parlophone sessions of Berigan. The Mosaic set is the size of a LP set with lavash pictures and massage discographical entries not given on the cheapo rip-off labels."

End of quote.

I find this very strange as JRT Davies's name is prominently displayed on JSP boxes, and those box sets are distributed in North America by Univeral Music Group. I thought there was a tie-in with Mosaic and Universal, but maybe not.

Anybody care to comment!

Based on the above review I bought the JSP set. I couldn't resist a bargain.

Now! Yesterday there was a thread re. the JSP label, so I looked over their Web site and eventually I got to Amazon and saw this:

Start of quote:

Reviewer:    Scott A. Wenzel

This box set is a rip-off of the Mosaic 7 disc set which can be found at www.mosaicrecords.com. JSP and other labels like Proper, take the hard work our engineers do (JRT Davies, Doug Pomeroy, Vince Caro) and without giving them a dime, burn their own CDs of Mosaic issues and this is one of them. The tune selections are the same as the Mosaic box which are the Vocalion, Brunswick and Parlophone sessions of Berigan. The Mosaic set is the size of a LP set with lavash pictures and massage discographical entries not given on the cheapo rip-off labels."

End of quote.

I find this very strange as JRT Davies's name is prominently displayed on JSP boxes, and those box sets are distributed in North America by Univeral Music Group. I thought there was a tie-in with Mosaic and Universal, but maybe not.

Anybody care to comment!

Based on the above review I bought the JSP set. I couldn't resist a bargain.

JRTD only did transfers for the very earliest JSP issues - talking about 20 years ago. The label is under different ownership and they have changed tactics.

Where do you get the information Universal Music Group distributes these in the US?

Start of quote:

Reviewer:    Scott A. Wenzel

.....and other labels like Proper, take the hard work our engineers do ... burn their own CDs of Mosaic issues...."

End of quote.

Yep, nothing more than CDR's.

I can understand your sentiment... I actually had no introduction to Ms. O'Day prior to the Mosaic set... (Minus a few MP3's that found their way onto my computer... :angry::bad::blink: ... but I can tell you I'm VERY happy to have purchased this set...

I now have a genuine feeling of who this artist is.... and what she had to offer (which was a lot).... If I didn't pull the trigger 2 months ago... I'd do it again now....

As much as I love this board, I'm always scared to read anything that has "Last Chance" or "Running Low" in the title. :rcry

J.J.'s been on my want list for a long time, so that's a no brainer.  Looks like I have at least a few weeks before that one gets real low....  I hope. 

The O'Day is one I never really considered, but after reading all of the accolades, it certainly looks like something I would enjoy.  Plus, vocal jazz has the added benefit of being something that is tolerated on the car stereo on long trips, so anything that reduces the amount of Dave Matthews, Coldplay, or John Mayer that I have to listen to is definitely a GOOD THING!  ;)

A quick search indicates that 8 of the 18 albums included in the Mosaic are readily available, for reasonable prices.  Another 4 are available as (expensive) Japanese imports.

As Clunky already asked, "who needs nine discs of O'Day??!!!".  Would buying a few of the single CD releases be a good introduction to her, or are the import/OOP sessions essential as well?

Edited by tranemonk

Just got an email from Mosaic. They have 300 O'Day and 700 J.J.Johnson sets left. I have a bit of time ahead of me then! :)

Unless there's a license-imposed time limit on the O'Day. You may want to check that out.

Ron, do you have any reliable information that indicates that Mosaic has ever been prevented from selling a set that it had already produced because of a license-imposed time limitation? I do NOT mean to sound condescending - you well could be right. However, I think that it would be very easy to draft a contract (and just as easy to negotiate for a contract) that would allow Mosaic to continue to sell any sets that it had on hand after the respective licensing agreement had expired. Moreover, how does one explain all of the partial sets that Mosaic has sold over the years if it is prohibited from selling sets for which the license has expired?

Where do you get the information Universal Music Group distributes these in the US?

For example:

Bix And Tram (Rm) [bEST OF] [bOX SET]

Universal Music Group; ASIN: B00006BT4G

Away from Basie [bEST OF] [bOX SET]

Universal Music Group; ASIN: B0009HBEVI

Edited by StormP

For those of you that haven't heard O'Day...you're in for a MAJOR treat. This woman is a "soloist", not just a "singer". Her timing, phrasing, etc..is totally unique and is hip as possible.

All you'll have to do, is listen to her version of Honeysuckle Rose (it's on one of the first discs I believe)...it's one of the sexiest tunes you'll ever hear. And, you haven't even gotten into the heart of the box yet....

Too many gems in this box to pull out a favorite..but the "Waiter, Make Mine Blues" session stands out...as does the "Cool Heat" session with arrangements my Jimmy Giuffre. H-I-P!

Enjoy!

I have to say my fave on this set... is the set with Oscar Peterson (I think it's part of Disc 4)... particularly... "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered..."

Although I was just today listening to Disc 9's "Peel Me A Grape"... that's got some sexiness to it.... :)

;):tup:tup

For those of you that haven't heard O'Day...you're in for a MAJOR treat.  This woman is a "soloist", not just a "singer".  Her timing, phrasing, etc..is totally unique and is hip as possible.

All you'll have to do, is listen to her version of Honeysuckle Rose (it's on one of the first discs I believe)...it's one of the sexiest tunes you'll ever hear.  And, you haven't even gotten into the heart of the box yet....

Too many gems in this box to pull out a favorite..but the "Waiter, Make Mine Blues" session stands out...as does the "Cool Heat" session with arrangements my Jimmy Giuffre.  H-I-P!

Enjoy!

For example:

Bix And Tram (Rm) [bEST OF] [bOX SET]

Universal Music Group; ASIN: B00006BT4G

Away from Basie [bEST OF] [bOX SET]

Universal Music Group; ASIN: B0009HBEVI

I think that's Universe; they've got nothing to do with Universal.