July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

Anita O'Day is 86 by now. She still performs from time to time. She toured England and France last year and made several clubs appearances to the embarassement of some fans. Dammit if she wants to do this at her age (and looks like that's what she wants), let her!

By the time I reach her age (if I do) I will be happy :) to make a tour of my neighborhood but that's probably as far as I will go!

Caught her at the Tavern on the Green in NY's Central Park a few years ago and she still delivered!

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see such great interest in Anita O'Day.

As far as I'm concerned she is one of the few

truly jazz vocalists. She is an artist in the purest sense

of the word. For those of you who are ordering the

Mosaic set and have never heard her stylings you are

in for a real treat.

I hbighly recommend Anita's autobiography entitled

"High Times Hard Times":

9076603.jpg

It's readily available from any of the major online retailers.

Also, for those of you that want to see Anita perform at the height

of her powers (and her sexiest) pick up a copy of the video

"Jazz On A Summer's Day" which was recorded at the 1958

Newport Jazz festival and you can see for yourself what she

is all about. Dig those white gloves!!!!!

Don

Just got an email from Mosaic. They have 300 O'Day and 700 J.J.Johnson sets left. I have a bit of time ahead of me then! :)

Unless there's a license-imposed time limit on the O'Day. You may want to check that out.

Ron, do you have any reliable information that indicates that Mosaic has ever been prevented from selling a set that it had already produced because of a license-imposed time limitation?

Nope, no hard information. I was just recommending that Yves--and others--verify that there is not such a limitation in this particular case, as opposed to assuming that there isn't one at the risk of missing out on this set if there in fact were such a limitation. In fact, on the "Last Chance" page of the Mosaic web site, they state the following regarding their leases of recordings:

The leases vary in detail, but in every case there's a cap on either the number of units we are allowed to manufacture or the number of years we're allowed to offer the set for sale.

So, it's quite conceivable that a particular lease could set an absolute limit on selling time regardless of the number of units Mosaic happens to have in stock. And, such a time limit would make sense: in the case of the O'Day set for example, Mosaic conceivably could have manufactured all 7500 units up front, rendering any time limit meaningless without a limit on the time they can "offer the set for sale."

is all about.  Dig those white gloves!!!!!

53367CD.JPG

Just got an email from Mosaic. They have 300 O'Day and 700 J.J.Johnson sets left. I have a bit of time ahead of me then! :)

Unless there's a license-imposed time limit on the O'Day. You may want to check that out.

Ron, do you have any reliable information that indicates that Mosaic has ever been prevented from selling a set that it had already produced because of a license-imposed time limitation?

Nope, no hard information. I was just recommending that Yves--and others--verify that there is not such a limitation in this particular case, as opposed to assuming that there isn't one at the risk of missing out on this set if there in fact were such a limitation. In fact, on the "Last Chance" page of the Mosaic web site, they state the following regarding their leases of recordings:

The leases vary in detail, but in every case there's a cap on either the number of units we are allowed to manufacture or the number of years we're allowed to offer the set for sale.

So, it's quite conceivable that a particular lease could set an absolute limit on selling time regardless of the number of units Mosaic happens to have in stock. And, such a time limit would make sense: in the case of the O'Day set for example, Mosaic conceivably could have manufactured all 7500 units up front, rendering any time limit meaningless without a limit on the time they can "offer the set for sale."

Ron, I see your points, and I appreciate that you are giving good advice (i.e., check with Mosaic) to those on the fence. I think, though, that the statement on the "Last Chance" page to which you refer is just a failed attempt to summarize the effects of Mosaic's lease agreements; but I obviously do not know that for certain.

As for the idea of Mosaic manufacturing all of the copies of a set up front, I have considered that possiblity. Aside from the impracticability of such an approach (in terms of capital outlay and storage problems), though, I think that most lease agreements would include a clause stating that Mosaic reserves the right to sell any remaining sets it has on hand after the lease expires provided that the number of such sets does not exceed a certain number.

Again, I am speculating just like you. I do know, however, that over the years I have had the opportunity to purchase a large number of partial sets directly from Mosaic; and to me it does not seem likely that a record company would prohibit sales of complete sets after expiration of a lease agreement but not partial ones. Mosaic has also from time to time sold small quantities of sets that were returned to them or uncovered in their storage areas. Yesterday, for instance, Mosaic's website offered for sale one copy of the New Orleans Atlantic Jazz Sessions boxed set, which has been out of print for some time now, along with two copies of the Amos Milburn lp set (which are still available!)

If anyone has received any comment of note from Michael Cuscuna or someone else in the know about this topic, I would love to hear it.

Edited by Edward

Holy hell folks!  Maybe Mosaic should start charging for PDF downloads of their standard operating procedures manual....  :P

:)  :D  :lol:

Perhaps they should. ;)

I realize that this discussion is just a bit silly, but I would find it incredible (and bad business to boot) if Mosaic has actually had to destroy sets because of the expiration of a lease.

Edited by Edward

Nice Ron. I may have to pick that CD up for the cover alone!!!

Too bad they are not marketing it in LP format :D

Don

is all about.  Dig those white gloves!!!!!

53367CD.JPG

O'Day purchased.

This one wasn't even on the radar for me - which just goes to show the influence that you guys have on this forum. (Or the fact that I just got a big tax refund yesterday :g ) Mosaic really should reciprocate with an Organissimo link or something....

Holy hell folks!  Maybe Mosaic should start charging for PDF downloads of their standard operating procedures manual....  :P

:)  :D  :lol:

I'd buy it, but only if it were offered as a limited edition. :rolleyes:

Regarding Edward's comments, I think the bottom line is that the lease terms for any particular set may vary and will be whatever the parties negotiated for that set, so it's a good idea to verify any assumptions about those terms before you decide to defer a purchase of a "Last Chance" or "Running Low" set. What can I say--once a lawyer, always a lawyer. :unsure::blink::ph34r:

#2892 arrived today. I've had this in my sites for awhile - glad for the heads up on this board.

When I sometimes train employees I do sessions on making work personally unique. One of the things I do as an illustration is play "Chickory Chick" by Sammy Kaye and after taking comments (always bad) I play the same song by the Gene Krupa band with O'Day's vocal. Not only do people like the song more they actually listen to the lyrics which kind of fits right in with the topic - well almost.

Anyone who can take pop schmaltz and make it into jazz is quite special.

I picked this up a little over a year ago and I'm glad I did. Excellent singer, excellent sound and a great variety of sounds on this set. The list of musicians on these sessions is staggering!!!

The small group stuff w/ Jimmy Rowles and Tal Farlow Session (F), and Session (G) w/ Paul Smith and Barney Kessel exemplify what a small group w/ vocals should sound like. And then of course there's the great writing by Giuffre, Holman, Mandel and Paich.

Worth every penny IMO.

No love for the Kid??! A true pioneer in jazz, played with Louis Armstrong on the famous Hot Five sessions etc.... Here's another thread which discusses this set:

kidory

I don't listen much to jazz vocalists--I have two individual O'Day Verve CDs and I rarely listen to them--so I'll pass on this set.

I ordered the Kid Ory on Tuesday too!! :tup ... but I had to send a money order. I have put way too much other music on credit lately and my wife might not be happy with the cost of this purchase so I have to be discreet... :ph34r: ...if you know what I mean!!!