Elvin Jones

montg

The Real Mccoy is one of my favorite albums, due in no small part to Elvin Jones. He energizes other favorite sessions as well--Unity, ALS, Thad Jones (Mosaic)... ANd yet, I don't have anything by Elvin as a leader. Any suggestions for good places to start?

Though it will set you back a fair chunk of dough, the Jones Mosaic offers an exceptional view of this artist. It contains the two albums that Greg mentions (which are fine indeed), and also has every note of the wonderful Live at the Lighthouse material.

A couple of general caveats, however:

• It helps to like saxophonists when it comes to this set. If you already like Dave Liebman and Steve Grossman, well, this set is almost tailor-made for you. They have a ball (both competitively and interactively) on the Lighthouse material. In fact, urban myth (and this particular one I tend not to believe at all, but want to anyway) has it that Grossman was so nervous playing with Jones and dueling with Liebman that he barfed during intermission in Liebman's open saxophone case.

• Some of the later material from this box is (how to put this) "over-produced," and it helps to repeat the mantra: of it's time, of it's time. Still, I think this set contains far more authentic material than fluff.

If you really want some hardcore Jones, seek out his live LP's on Honeydew entitled Skyscrapers. Both Volume 1 and 2 are trio configurations with George Coleman and Wilbur Little, and offer enormously long drum solos. You'll either think you've died and gone to drum kit heaven, or you'll want to throttle any small animals within arm's reach.

Edited by Late

I think about 75% of the Elvin Mosaic box is really good - and often great!! Lee Morgan is even on one very interesting date, early in the set. Maybe someone could burn a sampler disc (one CD) for montg, of various representitive tracks from the Mosaic Box.

I'd be inclined to do it myself, but it would take at least a week or three for me to get to it. Perhaps if someone could come up with a good tracklisting (up to 79 minutes), that'd make the job easier. Or, maybe just picking tracks at random (one from each album on the set) would be a more fair "sample" of the material.

montg, are you domestic relative to my location (are you in the U.S.?), or otherwise??

I have a soft spot for the Elvin Jones album 'Very Rare' where his quartet includes

Art Pepper. Elvin and Pepper went together just like Coltrane and Elvin. More proof

of the special interaction was evidenced in the Art Pepper at the Village Vanguard box.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Rooster,

I'm in central Illinois which is about as stateside as you can get. How representative are the three samples on the Mosaic website?

I think I might start with Elvin!. The lineup looks really good.

Edited by montg

Also check out "Illumination", his session on Impulse with a multi-horn line and Tyner.

I must whole-heartedly second this suggestion. You get Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons, as well as the wonderful Charles Davis from Sun Ra's stable. Elvin is swinging like no tomorrow, and the tunes are super.

I've always been quite partial to 'Merry Go Round' - one of his later Blue Notes. A bit overproduced, perhaps, but lots of good stuff on this one by the band with Gene Perla and co. It's available as part of the Mosaic or (occasionally) in 2nd hand vinyl racks. IMO any of the Blue Notes are worth picking up.

:rsmile:

His only session as a leader I have so far is "Live at the Village Vanguard" (enja, recorded 1968).

This has Elvin's then working trio of George Coleman (ts, as) and Wilbur Little (B), and add "Hannibal" Marvin Peterson on one long track.

I really love this record!

(and I know, by the way, that some time, sooner or later, I'm going to have the Mosaic...)

Then yes, the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box is very cool! One hell of a band!

ubu

Got two others (but the fact I forgot to list them is quite telling...): New Agenda and Summit Meeting. Picked them up in some sales bin last year.

Anyone knows the recording dates of these? (AMG gives Nov.18, 1976 for the later).

Anyway, these are a mixed bag. Featuring Al Dailey on electric piano, some guitar by one Roland Prince (and what a hype they make about him in the liners!). Summit Meeting has Clark Terry, James Moody and Bunky Green, but somehow it seems both records do not work right.

ubu