Tell me about Barcelona!

Friends,

I will be in Barcelona, Spain from Sept 8-17th for the Int'l Assoc of Sound Archivists conference. Flight was $1,100 and I was told to keep the entire trip "around the $2,000 range".

The hotels recommended by the conference are between 88-149 Euro a night, while the ones in the Let's Go/Frommer's/etc guides are closer to 30-60 Euro. Just so we're on the same page here, I have absolutely no problem staying in less-than-luxurious accomodations, so long as I can be assured that the neighborhood is safe. This would allow me to write the entire trip off and set some money aside for a couple of decent meals, a night or two of drinks, and a Spanish pressing of Black Gipsy.

The conference is being held at the Institut d'Estudis Catalans, just beside the Biblioteca de Catalunya in what appears to be the Las Ramblas area.

Any advice regarding the neighborhood, cheap places to stay, record shops, etc would be greatly appreciated, as I am wholly unfamiliar with Barcelona.

thanks,

Brandon

Brandon--

I can't directly address your questions (will try to remember the place we stayed in las Ramblas which was right in the center of things, but more like 80 Euro) but I will say this:

do _not_ miss the Miro Foundation (Museum) if you're at all interested in his work. It's terrific.

Go here.

Have a great trip--Barcelona is a wonderful place.

Haven't been in over a decade but I remember that it gets pretty sticky in the warm months so you may want to make sure your accomodations have air conditioning - not safe to assume it will.

The Bari Gotic is a great place to wander off the Ramblas. Lots of lunch places with cheap menus del dia. Even cheaper is Pollo Rico across the Ramblas in the Barrio Chino, reputedly not a great place to be at night. As indicated above, don't miss the modern stuff either, especially the Gaudi.

Try an absinthe bar if you're game and definitely try the seafood tapas in the bars around the port.

The subway is nice and easy to use.

Also a nice beach and coast town about 30 min. train ride away called Sitges.

About all I can remember at this time.

Brandon, sorry I cannot recommend a hotel in Barcelona. It's been several years since I stayed there.

This is a list of record shops in Spain:

http://www.apoloybaco.com/ricontetetiendas.htm

The Jazz Messengers shop on the Ramblas was very recommendable but I am not sure they still have that many interesting items. In any case, you can fill up on Fresh Sounds, Blue Moon, Lonehill, Jazz Factory CDs. They are manufactured in the area.

As for the city, the Gaudi architecture is a must see. You won't be able to miss the Sagrada Family that Rooster Ties posted. Take some time to go and see Gaudi's Casa Mila 'La Pedrera'. Another mustsee.

And there are several more beautiful buildings including more from Gaudi to go and have a look.

Do take time to see the Fondacio Miro and also the Fondacio Antoni Tapies!

And most of all - as has already been recommended - take several walks thru the Barri Gotic in the heart of the city.

No eating place to recommend. You cannot be disappointed by the local bars and restaurants! Just note that the Spaniards start their lunch around 3PM and have dinner late (even very late) in the evening!

Brandon, do not miss 'el parco Guel' a superb park in the centre of the city. It is my favorite place in Barcelona. It is a great place to go for a walk and to admire Gaudi's work. It's a must!

Edited by ASNL77

We were in Barcelona in late 2002, but our hotel was at Sitges (a charming small town at about 30 kilometers from Barcelona).

I give you the address where we were:

Hotel Subur (***)

Phone (34) 93 894 00 66

Fax: (34) 93 894 69 86

email: info@hotelsubur.com

www.hotelsubur.com

The price was at that time 76 € per night.

The music store Planet Music is now closed and replaced by The Jazz Messengers.

Good luck!

Edited by Claude Schlouch

Brandon, do not miss 'el parco Guel' a superb park in the centre of the city. It is my favorite place in Barcelona. It is a great place to go for a walk and to admire Gaudi's work. It's a must!

Definitely! Pronounced "gwey" or "gwuy" and translates roughly to "cool" or "hip" or whatever, from what I was told.

Have a great time Brandon. Spain is a beautiful country.