Saturday Night Live Best-ofs

My brother got me 4 SNL best-ofs for my birthday: Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers and Will Ferrell. I've seen most of the Ferrell before, but last night I watched the Carvey one and part of the Hartman.

The Carvey was excellent. I wish they'd included more Perot and Bush impersonations, but other than that... I didn't remember how versatile the guy was -- he did a lot of great stuff besides his stock characters. I'd never seen the Church Lady drum solo -- that was awesome. And one the John McLaughlin Group skit (how many of these did they do) was genius. WRONG!!!!

I didn't get to watch the entire Hartman, just skipped around. I'd forgotten about the Anal Retentive Chef, which was easily the funniest skit I saw on either DVD -- I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I've seen Ferrell and Hartman. Both great. More cowbell! I've heard Ferrell 2 isn't very good, but don't know.

Another interesting extra in the form of an audition is from Confessions of a Dangerous Mind where we see the lead actor auditioning. If I remember correctly, we also see him with prosthetic teeth, which were generally not used in the film itself.

• 2 weeks later...

How could the Hartman not be great?  The man was amazing!!

You know, I watched the Hartman and it actually wasn't that great. (And I'm a huge fan of the guy's work.) Maybe they made poor skit selection (for example the Bush-Clinton-Perot debate from '92 wasn't in there) but a lot of the stuff just wasn't funny. Maybe he did his best stuff in other peoples' skits? Though "Anal Retentive Chef", Bill Clinton at McDonald's, Ronald Reagan masterminding Iran Contra and "Anal Retentive Chef" are all classics.

On the other hand, Mike Myers's is terrific so far. (I've seen about 60% of it.) Aside from classic Shprockets ("Dieter's Dream", "Germany's Weirdest Home Videos"), Coffee Talk (w/Madonna, Roseanne Barr & Barbra Streisand), and Wayne's World sketches, the following had me rolling:

Weekend Update, "Point/Counterpoint on Cop-Killing Lyrics" w/Mick Jagger as law-and-order conservative Keith Richards & Mike Myers as 1st amendment advocate Mick Jagger ("Mick, you ignorant slut!")*

a skit with Nicole Kidman and Myers as 5 year old kids, with Myers as a hypoglycemic & hyperactive ("a hyper hypo") kid

*Any opinions on Kevin Nealon vs. Dennis Miller doing the Weekend Update?

Edited by Guy

I'm not much on Nealon's "Update" work at all.  I much prefer Miller.  Or just about anyone other than the last one I saw; can't remember the name...Colin something?  Totally blah...

Hmmm.... I watched SNL a lot when I was in Jr. High and that was the period when Miller left and Nealon replaced him. I'm a big Nealon fan (one of the best "2nd tier" SNL comedians) and dug his Weekend Update. No diss against Miller intended, except that now he is a lame and unfunny right-wing hack.

Norm McDonald was terrible. (The guy is just not funny.) And I don't think Jimmy Fallon is very good either though obviously better than McDonald.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I kind of liked Norm at times, though admittedly he wasn't that good. He always made me laugh at the "Worst Job" thing, though...

Comparing Dennis Miller then with Dennis Miller now is unfair to Dennis Miller then. He had no idea he'd age into a bitter jackass, and shouldn't be blamed... ;)

I think a lot of McDonald's funnier material may have been rejected by Lorne Michaels as too edgy for TV. The one movie he had, Dirty Work, was a flop and not very funny, but Chevy Chase mentioned how it would have been much better had the studio allowed them to leave the raunchiest jokes in.

I like the game shows Best Of. I think my favorite is the "Where You Headed" skit where they line up three New England drivers and have them all compete at giving the best directions from point A to point B.

Edited by Big Wheel

• 5 years later...

I think a lot of McDonald's funnier material may have been rejected by Lorne Michaels as too edgy for TV. The one movie he had, Dirty Work, was a flop and not very funny, but Chevy Chase mentioned how it would have been much better had the studio allowed them to leave the raunchiest jokes in.

I like the game shows Best Of. I think my favorite is the "Where You Headed" skit where they line up three New England drivers and have them all compete at giving the best directions from point A to point B.

Norm MacDonald also did a movie called Screwed, which wasn't very funny either.