about BFT 25

Durium

The anal obsessive-compulsive in me would love to have the answers if only so that I could add them to my Excel track list. Right now a gap obviously exists between BFT 24 & 26. I still can't understand why RT would go to the trouble of making 2 extra discs of a Woody Shaw concert without bothering to make sure that all bases were covered on the BFT itself. :wacko:

I have about 50 to 60 discs yet to burn for my BFT (including the bonus Woody Shaw discs), to include with all the "Pay It Forward" discs that I agreed and still intend to send out (to approximately 14-15 people).

I can only burn about 5 discs per hour (my drive only burns at 8x speed), and I get "buffer over-run" errors about once every 4 or 5 discs -- so I'm looking at a good solid 12 hours minimum of burning yet to do (changing discs every 10-minutes or so).

Plus, every time I get a "buffer over-run" error when burning either of the Woody Shaw discs, I have to re-read my source discs (from scratch) -- because when I try to put an image of the discs on my hard drive, I get gaps of silence between the tunes on all subsequent burns -- and personally I hate track gaps on continuous live recordings. (Also, I only have one CD drive, for both reading and writing, so having to rescan both Woody Shaw discs every time I get a buffer over-flow, which has been particularly time consuming.)

That, plus digging through 200 plus PM's in my inbox to try and find all the addresses for people, and figure out what free discs I promised to whom. (Especially when the subject-lines of the PM’s all just say something like “BFT”). Oh, and make sure I don’t include anybody I’ve already sent discs too (from among the 40 or so BFT’s that have already been sent out directly, or through the tree), all of who’s associated PM’s are all still in my inbox too – mixed in with everything else (again, all with subject lines that don’t give me any clue as to the status of whether someone has been serviced or not, or if they need one or more “pay it forward” free discs from me).

Yes, I bit off WAY more than I could chew, but I do sincerely intend to finish this thing off soon -- hopefully yet this month (and by that, I mean August). And, yes, this is THE worst-managed BFT in the entire history of this forum.

Everyone will get all their stuff, one of these days soon I hope. With that many people yet to get their discs (about 15 people), I felt I shouldn't reveal the answers just yet. That, and I still need to type up all the answers and find album covers for everything, etc...

You'll all get your stuff, and the answers too -- when I find the time to finish this thing off. Your continued patience is most appreciated.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

By the way, I’ve been silent on this subject, mostly because of small handful of people who wanted to get all pissy about things, (“a promise is a promise”), or who otherwise wanted to get ugly over things. I felt the most dignified response was no response at all (simply because I couldn’t think of a dignified way to respond).

Yes, I absolutely over-promised, under-delivered, and I fucked this thing up royally. If you knew me personally, this probably wouldn’t come as any surprise to any of you.

I took 6 months to get one of you your discs in another trade, but when I did finally come through – I included everything promised, plus and extra 10 or 12 burns of what I thought was some rather amazing stuff, including scans of covers, and everything. I vaguely remember including an extra silver disc (or two?) in the deal too, though the details escape me now.

In another instance, I recently took an extra month-to-six-weeks to get someone their Don Cherry Mosaic in another trade, but I included 7 or 8 extra burns of some other rather amazing material, and I included a legit silver-disc as a freebie to make up for the unnecessary delay.

And long before the “pay-it-forward” thread, I sent somebody else a couple OOP discs (both of them sealed), simply because I thought they’d enjoy them. (And they weren’t 2nd-rate material either. Both discs were among my own personal top-20 favorite classical discs, both OOP, both somewhat rare and very obscure, and discs I frequently give as “calling cards”, whenever I find duplicates at a reasonable price.)

Yes, clearly I’m NOT very good at meeting deadlines, particularly when what I need to deliver is complicated or convoluted. But I do always come through in the end.

You’ll all get your stuff soon, and the answers too.

That explains why you never responded to my PM. I sent you a PM during the sign-up phase of my BFT to see if you would like a copy. People haven't been responding to my PMs much over the past 6 months, so I was beginning to wonder if it wasn't working!

Tom, if you would like a copy of .:.BFT, let me know! I'll be happy to send you one. Something to listen to while you burn away!

By the way, I’ve been silent on this subject, mostly because of small handful of people who wanted to get all pissy about things, (“a promise is a promise”), or who otherwise wanted to get ugly over things.  I felt the most dignified response was no response at all (simply because I couldn’t think of a dignified way to respond).

Cool down man, after all, you were the one who feghed up. People reminding you of your promises aren't exactly committing any crimes. And keeping silent didn't really help to make anyone understand either. You were in over your neck, so just post that you are in over your neck, apologise and carry on.

Sheesh, you make it sound like the whole board suddenly turned against you. They might if you keep pushing guilt into their shoes.

Now that you have awoken and crowed loudly, get up man, there's woik to do! To the rescue!

BRAC005.jpg

• 3 months later...

I layed out on #25, but it's impossible not to be aware of this ongoing saga. What I don't understand is, why can't at least the basic answers (song titles, performers, CD/LP titles) be assembled and posted? They could always be amended with further additions such as cover scans, recording dates, comments, etc. Just a thought... :w

Principally, I'm a very patient guy - sometimes I'm not the fastest myself - but this should be completed before the end of the year.

We could agree on a rule that every compiler should have at least the basic track data list ready when he ships the discs - personal commentary being nice, but not essential.

It's been over half a year since I listened to these discs, and I don't really remember what was on them at this point, but I would still really like to know what each track was.

What about just posting the answer to one track each day? It would only take 10 or 15 seconds to type in the track name, album title and leader of the date. In a few weeks we would have the complete answers for discs 1 and 2.

If, later on, you decide you want to add some comments or thoughts there's no reason you couldn't do so at your leisure.

Just my 2 cents.

Principally, I'm a very patient guy - sometimes I'm not the fastest myself - but this should be completed before the end of the year.

We could agree on a rule that every compiler should have at least the basic track data list ready when he ships the discs - personal commentary being nice, but not essential.

When a person puts together a BFT, surely they take note of what it was they included ("basic track data") on the recording. I mean, from the get-go. Otherwise, they themselves might forget what material was included in the test! Now, unless the compiler did this with pencil and paper instead of a word processor, :huh: what possible reason is there not to have the info available and handy with a few clicks of a mouse? :unsure:

Add to this the fact that even the initial posts in this thread (which came along some time after everybody was wondering what happened to the answers) and the related apologies are now over 3 months old.

Ridiculous.

When a person puts together a BFT, surely they take note of what it was they included ("basic track data") on the recording.  I mean, from the get-go.  Otherwise, they themselves might forget what material was included in the test!  Now, unless the compiler did this with pencil and paper instead of a word processor, :huh: what possible reason is there not to have the info available and handy with a few clicks of a mouse?  :unsure:

Add to this the fact that even the initial posts in this thread (which came along some time after everybody was wondering what happened to the answers) and the related apologies are now over 3 months old.

Ridiculous.

Hey, I used a pen and paper when I made my track notes. :cool:

I couldn't imagine having to backtrack and try to fill in the blanks after the discs were completed.

It would be like doing a blindfold test again and again.

"Shit, I think track 3 is Hank Mobley, but I thought for sure I put Joe Henderson on there somewhere, either way it's NMCOT".

You're supposed to make it easy on yourself when you do one, no? :P

In retrospect it was probably not such a good idea to make a two disc BFT and two extra cds of Woody Shaw when available time was going to be an issue.

Hey, I used a pen and paper when I made my track notes.  :cool:

You used a PEN?? Man, you are one confident guy! :lol: I used a word processor, because I knew I'd change my mind about 17 times, rearrange the order over and over... and besides, I can't read my own handwriting anymore. ^_^

Oh I changed my mind plenty. I have all the partially used cdrs to prove it. :g

Yes, I bit off WAY more than I could chew, but I do sincerely intend to finish this thing off soon -- hopefully yet this month (and by that, I mean August). 

Ok, so the "one a day" idea didn't seem to take hold.

RT -

How about posting one answer each week? Seven days to type up one artist name, one track title and one album title.

It's been 19 weeks since the last guess was posted. We could have had all of the answers to disc #1 posted and the answers to disc #2 well under way by this point.

I really don't want to come across as flippant, but I'm baffled why you would not just spend 10 or 15 minutes, post the answers and get this BFT behind you. I'd love to revisit the disc once the answers are posted and I'm sure a lot of other people here feel the same.

I'll stop posting in this thread, as I don't see any benefit in belaboring the point any more.