Stanley T box

Man, this thing just keeps getting better and better the more I listen to it.

Funny story: I had this on my Christmas wishlist that I gave to my wife. Christmas morning came and went and no box. :( She kept saying "I couldn't afford it. I bought you this nice shirt and socks... don't you like them?" Big guilt trip.

So we go to my sisters to have Christmas dinner with the extended family and the siblings exchange gifts (I have six siblings). Guess what one of my gifts was!!! OH I LOVE MY LITTLE SISTER! Who had help from my brother. And my wife was involved too! :) Tricky!

Anyway, Stanley is my all-time favorite tenor player, bar none. This box ROOLS!

This is the box that really got me into Stanley Turrentine. My first experience with his music was "Rough 'n' Tumble," which I absolutely hated (and still hate). After hearing him on a few Jimmy Smith albums, however, I decided to go for the Mosaic, and have never regretted it. The "Chip Off The Old Block" session is my favorite of all the sessions included in the set.

I always found "Mr. T" to be the absolute, no-doubt-about-it, hands-down BEST at making pop hits sound great jazzed up. Anyone ever heard his version of "Spooky"? I think it was on one of the BN "Lost Grooves" comps. Three minutes of aural bliss to my ears!

Oh, and the Mosaic box is pretty good, as well ... ;)

Stan is THE MAN no doubt about it! Another great Mosaic with Stan (and brother Tommy on trumpet!) is the Horace Parlan set-and you get Booker Ervin & Grant Green too, it smokes. I recently found a copy of a 1959 Max Roach lp w both Turrentines "Quiet As It's Kept" on Mercury-Stan had that unique sound right from the start. I think this session is on the Max Roach Mosaic set. It's all great, and the Hustlin' RVG is not to be missed either! :D

The first couple of CDs are indeed mastered on the "bright" side. I hadn't really noticed until Shrdlu pointed it out on the BN board. I took another listen and sure enough he was right. The other discs sound better. But the music is still pretty terrific; the sound doesn't bother me all that much.

Ray

I must admit, I've yet to become a full member of Stanlely T's fan club. I just find his playing so different, with his very short phrases, with his unusual timing. Not quite sure if I like him or not. I won't even mention his sound -- thin, but somehow thick. I just find that his style is so different when I listen to him, that I can't make up my mind. Even have the Mosaic, but I've only listened to it a couple of times. :unsure:

I don't understand the thin comment. His upper-register is maybe a little thin, but his main sound is PHAT! :) If you're on the fence about his playing, may I suggest the Shirley Scott record "Queen of the Organ". It's a live date on Impulse from the mid-60s and features some amazing work by Turrentine.

Turrentine just sounds "breathy" to me. You know how some tenors have a deep, solid bottom sound? I do not hear that with Stanley T, it sounds thin. These are just descriptions of something I cannot really put my finger on. I have about 10 recording that Turrentine shows up on, and it's an intriguing sound, and one that makes me listen hard to what he plays, I mean, he's great on the Parlan Mosaic.

• 1 year later...

Back from the dead, a dusty old thread. Even a cameo appearance by Mnytime.

My favorite disc is IV, with "Niger Mambo" and "Shirley" being my favorite tracks. Beyond this high point it is uniformly excellent.

Mintons I have to say is one of my favourites spins. I even remember buying the jpn lps after I had the cds ( ok slightly mad :rolleyes: ) but sold them for a huge sum :g later.

I have the mosaic box set and love it. I have to say though that the last set ( another story) was pretty poor.

But hey this was a cheap way to get a great deal of Turrentines work.

:tup

If you love the Turrentine/Shirley Scott tandem as much as I do (Queen Of The Organ is AMAZING) then let me suggest a few more titles...

Stanley Turrentine - Never Let Me Go (Impulse)

Shirley Scott - Soul Shoutin' (Prestige 2fer CD, both w/ Stan)

Shirley Scott - Legends Of Acid Jazz (another 2fer with Stan)

There's an Atlantic album also...slipping my mind at the moment...think Dusty Groove carries it on reissued vinyl and I know it was a Japanese CD at some point...hmmm..what's that damn title...???