Futurama coming back to network TV in 2010

I guess I am jumping the gun a tiny bit, but there have been rumors for months now that Fox has greenlit a direct to DVD movie of Futurama, with the possibility of a couple more.

Futurama movie

Apparently both Billy West, the main voice talent, and Matt Groening have been saying it will happen, though the executive producer David X. Cohen is apparently saying not all the contract details have been worked out. Nonetheless, I am incredibly pleased and hope this does come to fruition. Futurama is in my top 5 tv shows of all time, and not just top 5 cartoon tv shows. I can't even completely explain why it clicked so much for me, but it just did. It's a very focused obsession, and considerably cheaper than a Simpsons' obsession, since there is only 1/100th of merchandise to buy.

Anyway, if the movie comes out and sells well, just as the DVDs have done quite well, there would always be the chance that Futurama could even return to Fox, like Family Guy did (it definitely helps that there is a new programming chief at Fox). Though that would probably be good, so much time will have elapsed, it definitely won't feel the same. It's such a shame that Fox cancelled it in the first place, since it had a serious following that has kind of dissipated with time.

I'll post more news here as appropriate.

Edited by ejp626

This is good news, if it does happen. I thought it was a great show, sharp, inventive, satirical and very, very funny.

As big a Simpsons fan as I am, a always felt like they cancelled the wrong show. The Simpsons has had a great run but the last few series have definitely felt low on inspiration. Futurama had plenty of milage left in it.

Not holding my breath on this one though.

I agree with you. The Simpsons was great, but honestly it is a shadow of its former self. 4 true seasons is pretty respectable in the TV business, but I think Futurama had about 7 seasons in it, and it was really getting good in seasons 3 and 4. Sigh.

I actually do think the movie will happen, but am not optimistic that Futurama will return to TV. The episodes were actually quite expensive to produce.

He seems like a pretty cool guy that has been burned a lot by the Powers that Be. He's on many of the cast commentaries for the Futurama episodes and is always hilarious. He goes on and on, about how if he was Fry, he would stick with dating Amy, etc. In fact, the best are the commentaries with both West and DiMaggio (the voice of Bender) since they start doing each other's voices and cracking up.

• 3 years later...

So my wife told me this, and I was skeptical, as it sounded like a dream, but apparently Futurama is coming back (with an order for 26 new episodes!): http://www.gotfuturama.com/

This is mostly because the new DVDs sold so well (so I told her it was all worth pre-ordering every one). Most likely they will appear first on Comedy Central, but if Fox looks at them at likes them, they could actually air on Fox. (Given how Fox kept pre-empting it, frankly Comedy Central is probably better. There just doesn't seem to be the same stigma of being on a smaller channel anymore.) Anyway, very very excited. Is this be the longest layover for a cancelled show to come back from?

Is this be the longest layover for a cancelled show to come back from?

I would think so. Unless you count Lassie's ever changing owners. ;) Collies must live well into their 40s.

Whoops -- could this be... Anyway, there are certainly longer revamps or retreads, sort of like the Lassie. I was thinking Battlestar Gallactica, Gallactica 80 and Battlestar Gallactica. (Or Star Trek for that matter.) But this seems more like Family Guy, where it was cancelled, then brought back with essentially all the original producer/writers/voice talent, so it is the same show and not a remake. And I do think the layoff for Futurama was longer than for FG. I figure it might take a little while to hit their stride (the DVDs were quite good but not amazingly good) but with 26 episodes they can really get back into the swing of it.*

*Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck.

• 3 years later...

I got an email a couple of hours ago that my old band

has recorded three songs for tonight's episode of Futurama.

Since I don't have cable (and I really thought that this show

was cancelled years ago), does anyone know if they

archive recent episodes online somewhere? Thanks.

I got an email a couple of hours ago that my old band

has recorded three songs for tonight's episode of Futurama.

Since I don't have cable (and I really thought that this show

was cancelled years ago), does anyone know if they

archive recent episodes online somewhere? Thanks.

I believe they can be purchased through iTunes, but am not 100% sure of that. Obviously they will be online in the shady parts of the internet within a day of the first airing. They will come out on DVD in 6 to 12 months after the season ends. While there have been a few real stinkers here and there, for the most part these new shows are living up to the classic first run of the show.

• 5 years later...

Every so often I check in on what is going on with my favorite cancelled show.  There was some Futurama Android game, which I haven't played (yet).  And relatively recently (last Sept.) there was a podcast with a new episode of the show and they managed to get the original voice talent back together.  It's pretty funny.  Podcast is here: https://nerdist.com/the-nerdist-podcast-new-futurama-episode/