Jazz in movies

Rosco

So, the other night I’m watching the film ‘Collateral,’ starring everyone’s favourite Scientologist whack job, Tom Cruise. I’d not seen it before and it turned out to be a pretty decent middle-order thriller. The plot calls for some major suspension of disbelief but, hey, I’m not watching a documentary here. Gimme watchya got, Hollywood! It’s typical Michael Mann; high octane but not without some wit, subtlety and genuine thrills-and –chills. Jamie Foxx is good and Mother Hubbard’s favourite son puts in a nice turn playing against type as the bad guy.

About 40 minutes into the movie, the Cruise character takes Foxx to a jazz club (I won’t explain why, but it is plot driven). They walk into the club and there is a group of ‘musicians’ on the bandstand, playing. Now, actors miming the playing of instruments is one of my cinematic pet hates- it rarely, if ever, looks convincing. However… not only are these guys miming but… get this… they’re miming to ‘Spanish Key’ by Miles Davis!!!! :o:huh::blink:

I mean, come on!!!! Could they not get any original music for that scene??! Could they not at least find something a little more obscure? ‘Bitches Brew’ has to be among the half-dozen most well known albums in jazz history! Or are we to assume that these guys are so hot they can do a note-for-note cover? <_<

There then ensues a lengthy and highly implausible conversation between Cruise, Foxx and the trumpet player of said band, who relates the story of how Miles came by the club one night and sat in (yeah, ‘cos that’s something Miles loved to do!). Cruise shoots him. Good call. :cool:

Anyway, an odd directorial choice that’s still bothering me days later.

Any other nominations for worst (or best) use of jazz in a movie? Any other unexpected jazz references from movies/ tv/ books? The more incongruous and unlikely the better.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been bugged by a scene in the film version of "The Talented Mr. Ripley." I'm a huge fan of the book (in fact, I love ALL the Ripley novels), so I was disappointed by the film in general (although I thought the casting was note-perfect). Anyway, instead of being a mediocre painter, they made the character of Dickie Greenleaf into a jazz fan/musician. Anyway, the film is set in the mid to late 1950s (the novel was published in 1957, I believe). At one point in the film, a copy of a Miles Davis LP is shown in a character's apartment...but the LP is "Tutu!" It has a very distinctive cover, so it's VERY obvious. Clearly, the props person didn't do any research whatsoever. Really pissed me off!

:angry:

I've always been bugged by a scene in the film version of "The Talented Mr. Ripley."  I'm a huge fan of the book (in fact, I love ALL the Ripley novels), so I was disappointed by the film in general (although I thought the casting was note-perfect).  Anyway, instead of being a mediocre painter, they made the character of Dickie Greenleaf into a  jazz fan/musician.  Anyway, the film is set in the mid to late 1950s (the novel was published in 1957, I believe).  At one point in the film, a copy of a Miles Davis LP is shown in a character's apartment...but the LP is "Tutu!"  It has a very distinctive cover, so it's VERY obvious.  Clearly, the props person didn't do any research whatsoever.  Really pissed me off!

:angry:

Good eye, Alexander. I didn't catch that anachronistic Miles cover. What did strike me as egregious in the same flick was Matt Damon's lame Chet Bakerish singing.

There's lots of good jazz in the Clint Eastwood film 'Play Misty for Me'. At one point though there's some moody orchestral background music that sounds suspiciously like the Gerald Wilson Orchestra (it's the voicings used that make me think this). I think the scene is the one where he returns to his oceanfront home at night from the radio station and the psycho lady is waiting for him. Gerald or not, its a very nice bid of film jazz.

Edited by sidewinder

There's also that appearance by Tubby Hayes' group in the 60s Hammer Horror movie 'Dr Terror's House of Horrors'. I really must get hold of that one.

Another favourite is the movie 'Kes' by Ken Loach - low budget 60s British movie. That one has a very nice soundtrack by John Cameron with appearances by Harold McNair on flute and also Ronnie Ross. Nice movie too, which captures the Northern grittiness of the era very well.

There's lots of good jazz in the Clint Eastwood film 'Play Misty for Me'. At one point though there's some moody orchestral background music that sounds suspiciously like the Gerald Wilson Orchestra (it's the voicings used that make me think this). I think the scene is the one where he returns to his oceanfront home at night from the radio station and the psycho lady is waiting for him. Gerald or not, its a very nice bid of film jazz.

Also a brief piece of live Cannonball footage in that film iirc.

Isn't that a scene at Newport or something? Been a few years since I watched that movie.

Brief? It's about ten minutes isn't it?! :lol:

You gotta love Clint. 'Bird' notwithstanding... :w

Isn't that a scene at Newport or something? Been a few years since I watched that movie.

Brief? It's about ten minutes isn't it?! :lol:

You gotta love Clint. 'Bird' notwithstanding... :w

Monterrey. I don't recall it being that long!

It's been a long time since I've seen the film "Lost Highway", but if I recall correctly, Bill Pullman's character was an Avant Garde Jazz Musician. I remember that there were some intense sections in the film showing Pullman's character blowing his Tenor in a sort of dreamlike haze. Anyone see this film?

It's been a long time since I've seen the film "Lost Highway", but if I recall correctly, Bill Pullman's character was an Avant Garde Jazz Musician.  I remember that there were some intense sections in the film showing Pullman's character blowing his Tenor in a sort of dreamlike haze.  Anyone see this film?

:tup:rfr

Some live Johnny Otis Band also.

Speaking of Herbie:

There is that scene in Indecent Proposal when Redford brings Demi Moore onto his yacht for their big night and when she walks into the room, Herbie is playing piano.

She gives him a slightly surprised look as Herbie looks up with a smirk that says "Yeah, it's me".

Speaking of Herbie:

There is that scene in Indecent Proposal when Redford brings Demi Moore onto his yacht for their big night and when she walks into the room, Herbie is playing piano.

She gives him a slightly surprised look as Herbie looks up with a smirk that says "Yeah, it's me".

:lol:

I have never seen that movie, but that's gotta be worth it!

I am reminded of a piece of crap movie I did have the misfortune to sit through (not by choice) that starred Moore's ex Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger. I think it was called Blind Date (I may have that confused with something else) and I'm pretty sure Blake Edwards directed.

Anyhoo... at one point in the movie and for no apparent or logical reason, Willis takes Basinger to a recording studio where they spend a couple of minutes watching Stanley Jordan playing. Which must carbon date that movie to within six months.

And that's one of the high points of it. :excl::bad::rfr

Maybe we also need a list of the most gratuitous use of jazz in a film, not that I would generally complain, but there are plenty of times it is just for atmosphere. For instance, in Dark City -- a fairly enjoyable SF picture -- the female lead is a lounge singer, I suppose for the sole purpose of allowing us to go into the club and watch her sing (well, lip synch) a couple of songs. Now the songs are well done -- The Night Has a Thousand Eyes and something else -- but it's more to tie in with the ambience of noir film than anything plot driven. And I guess that's fine -- a lot of the film noirs are made bearable by the anti-hero stepping into a jazz club (this goes double for French film noir films where often the score is the only thing bearable about them).

I assume that Collateral was on the same vibe, trying to tap into the spirit of film noir.