Jazz in movies

Rosco

This has been a fun thread to read. Some flicks I need to check out.

I heard Maynard Ferguson tell some stories about filming some "shorts" with Kenton's band. They would make the audio recording one day and film the next day, referring to the miming as "sidelining". He said the guys in the band did stuff on purpose to make the video not fit with the audio. Apparently one scene had a Maynard solo, and in the video he has a trombone mouthpiece on his horn!

Anyone seen the early '70s movie "Zachariah"? Wierd psychedelic Western, with some scenes featuring Elvin Jones. Truly bad film, truly great to see Elvin.

Or how about the episode of the TV show "Kung Fu" that begins a scene with Cannonball Adderley in a poncho and sombrero blowing solo on the wooden sidewalk of the old west town?

-- Glenn

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has THE COOL WORLD ever come out on VHS or DVD?  I have the Verve Dizzy soundtrack (not the same, I believe, as the version that you have, Chris).

To the best of my knowledge, and I have researched this some, the answer is no. Frederick Wiseman, documentary maker, owns it, and only distributes it as a print through his personal distribution company.

(And we're not talking about the Ralph Bakshi animated film, for those of you who are wondering.)

Available here: http://www.zipporah.com/filmindex.html

But It'll cost you! :blink:

Anyone seen the early '70s movie "Zachariah"? Wierd psychedelic Western, with some scenes featuring Elvin Jones. Truly bad film, truly great to see Elvin.

:o:excited:

YES! Never seen the film, but I have a clip on a compilation DVD. Awesome. The movie looks pretty nutty. :crazy:

Or how about the episode of the TV show "Kung Fu" that begins a scene with Cannonball Adderley in a poncho and sombrero blowing solo on the wooden sidewalk of the old west town?

-- Glenn

Is this right?! :blink:

That I gotta see...

Edited by Rosco

• 1 month later...

Caught the last few minutes of a 1987 French film that was shown on TV this week.

April is a deadly month

I have yet to see the full film which had some critical success when it was released.

The film ended with some very good jazz featuring a guitar solo. The titles credited the guitar solo to Johnny Smith! Was not aware that Johnny Smith had been hired to take part in the music soundtrack which was composed by Philippe Sarde.

I haven't been able to find out whether the music was issued on CD.

Edited by brownie

Joe Maneri's "Paniots Nine" opens American Splendor. What a weird, great tune to start a film with!

Funnily enough, I nearly revised this thread myself to mention American Splendor, which I saw for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Harvey Pekar, in addition to being a cartoon writer, also wrote about jazz. At one point in the movie he is searching his chaotic apartment for an Ornette Coleman LP.

There's some other fine music in the movie; Dizzy Gillespie, Lester Young, John Coltrane, Jay McShann and original music by a band that includes Dave Doulgas. But, yes, the Maneri piece is a wonderful way to start the movie; in the audio commentary Pekar himself sings Maneri's praises. I must track that piece down.

Good movie too, with a fine performance by Paul Giamatti as Pekar. Makes me want to see the Crumb documentary again.

Joe Maneri's "Paniots Nine" opens American Splendor. What a weird, great tune to start a film with!

Funnily enough, I nearly revised this thread myself to mention American Splendor, which I saw for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Harvey Pekar, in addition to being a cartoon writer, also wrote about jazz. At one point in the movie he is searching his chaotic apartment for an Ornette Coleman LP.

There's some other fine music in the movie; Dizzy Gillespie, Lester Young, John Coltrane, Jay McShann and original music by a band that includes Dave Doulgas. But, yes, the Maneri piece is a wonderful way to start the movie; in the audio commentary Pekar himself sings Maneri's praises. I must track that piece down.

Good movie too, with a fine performance by Paul Giamatti as Pekar. Makes me want to see the Crumb documentary again.

Yeah, I remember sitting in the theatre trying to figure out what album it was (based on year... when was it? 80's? A Prime Time side?).

I second the enthusiasm. Seems like Pekar had a say in the soundtrack (fine choice with the Maneri). Seriously though, that Crumb documentary is little taxing.

Liked the film - what's the DVD like? Good commentary? Is it just Pekar? Any bonus stuff?

The commentary was illuminating and enjoyable. It was by a group, including the director and Giamatti, Pekar, his wife Joyce, his daughter Danielle, his friend Toby Radloff, and someone else that I forget.

There's also a featurette on Pekar & Joyce post-movie, including at Sundance and Cannes.

Folks here have mentioned two films that have appeared recently on TV. New Orleans is IMHO one of the worst films ever made, noteworthy for the appearance, fleetingly, of Billy Holiday. What a waste. Louis also is slighted but he's been in other better films, not so for Billy. The other one is "The Strip" which I heartily recommend for it's music, not the plot. Louis,Barney Bigard, Teagarden are used well and often and I look forward to it appearing on TCM again, with my recording gear at the ready.

I just went through the previous posts on this site and fail to find any mention of "The Aviator" whose music was done by Vince Giordano. I defy you to see him given any credit for it. It's there but you need sharp eyes to see it. :blink:

Somebody asked "Has anybody actually seen this film?" And then showed a posterof New York Eye and Ear Control by Michael Snow. I don't know how to reporduce the picture here.

Yes I've seen it a couple of times. I think the soundtrack used to be availaable on ESP. Michael Snow is a Canadian musician, artist and filmmaker. He plays on Carala Bley's Escalator Over the Hill. (Or is it Elevator Over the Hill?) The fim is very meditative and features a cut-out figure Snow called The Walking Woman which was a motif in his art at the time. He is well known as an experimental filmmkaer.

Coincidentally, Michael Snow's 1965 print, "Carla Bley" (from "Toronto 20") is reproduced in the catalog for MOMA's 1980 catalog, "Printed Art: A View of Two Decades" which I picked up at a yard sale of few weeks ago for $1. I was pretty surprised to see Carla inside the book!

The image indeed shows Carla walking.

I guess this qualifies as a movie,.. the Looney Toon "the Three Little Bops"

It's a riot!

Three Little Bops (6 MINUTES 39 SECONDS)

Rel 1/5/57 - Prod 1429 - MPAA 17902 - LT (Orange rings)

Director: Friz Freleng

Story: Warren Foster

Anim: Gerry Chiniquy, Bob Matz

Vocal: Stan Freberg

Music: Shorty Rogers

Excerpted In: Friz Freleng's Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie.

Video: "Looney Tunes Curtain Calls".

Trivia for

Three Little Bops (1957)

•There aren't any sound effects in the cartoon except for the "deflating" of the Big Bad Wolf's bass drum. All other sound effects were provided by the jazz combo.

•The first time that anyone other than Blanc, Mel was given screen credit for voices. Stan Freberg did all of the voices for this cartoon.)

The Three Little Bops (1957, Freleng)

The story of the Three Little Pigs, entirely sung (with incidental rhyming dialogue) and"modernized" in a 50s hybrid jazz/rock 'n' roll style. Shorty Rogers on music, and sung by Stan Freberg. References to Liberace: "I wish my brother George was here." (Used in several cartoons), and a section with the wolf dancing the Charleston with a ukelele and raccoon coat.

Yeah I've seen New York Eye & Ear Control..... but can't say I was all that impressed. I was much more taken by the Stan Brakhage/Phillip Corner film that was on the same program. -- That said, the footage of the musicians is great--Murray looks like he's from Mars, & Gary Peacock's incredibly hostile expression says "**** off" so clearly that no words are needed!

I guess this qualifies as a movie,.. the Looney Toon  "the Three Little Bops"

It's a riot!

A riot indeed! Wish the music to this had been released. Shorty Rogers and Barney Kessell played in the Three Little Bops band on the soundtrack music. And also Jimmy Giuffre if I remember well.

There's also that appearance by Tubby Hayes' group in the 60s Hammer Horror movie 'Dr Terror's House of Horrors'. I really must get hold of that one.

This is currently being shown on one of the French film channels. No fan of those British horror films but I was lucky and caught the film shortly ahead of the appearance of the Tubby Hayes quintet blowing up a storm - and this is meant literally - in a 'voodoo' sequence.

Short sequence with good playing (Jimmy Deuchar is on trumpet, ghosting for an actor, according to David Meeker's 'Jazz in the Movies'.

I'll spare the comments on the section of the film I endured...

House of Terrors

Edited by brownie

Just been watching Howard Hawks' Ball of Fire--has a substantial appearance by Gene Krupa's band including the famous matchbox drumming routine.

I'd like to see this picture again soon. I just read a bio of the director, Howard Hawks. Apparently, Krupa came up with that routine on the set and Hawks decided to include it in the movie. Hawks was famous for encouraging actors to improvise and for tailoring roles to the actors as the film was being shot. Kinda "jazzy."

Reminds me of the way Ellington sometimes composed.

I guess this qualifies as a movie,.. the Looney Toon  "the Three Little Bops"

It's a riot!

Excerpted In: Friz Freleng's Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie.

Video: "Looney Tunes Curtain Calls".

Trivia for

Three Little Bops (1957)

•There aren't any sound effects in the cartoon except for the "deflating" of the Big Bad Wolf's bass drum. All other sound effects were provided by the jazz combo.

•The first time that anyone other than Blanc, Mel was given screen credit for voices. Stan Freberg did all of the voices for this cartoon.)

The Three Little Bops (1957, Freleng)

The story of the Three Little Pigs, entirely sung (with incidental rhyming dialogue) and"modernized" in a 50s hybrid jazz/rock 'n' roll style. Shorty Rogers on music, and sung by Stan Freberg. References to Liberace: "I wish my brother George was here." (Used in several cartoons), and a section with the wolf dancing the Charleston with a ukelele and raccoon coat.

:tup:tup:tup:party:

One of my all time favorite Looney Tune shorts, and now I've got it on DVD.