AOTW - July 31, 2005

alejo

Gianluigi Trovesi Octet

From G to G

Soul Note 121231-2

Recorded 1992

d25622h08l8.jpg

Personnel:

Pino Minafra – trumpet, prepared trumpet, flugelhorn, didjeridoo, voice, and noise

Gianluigi Trovesi – alto saxophone, alto clarinet, bass clarinet

Rodolfo Migliardi – trombone, tuba

Roberto Bonati – acoustic bass

Marco Micheli – acoustic bass

Marco Remondini – cello

Fluvio Maras

About ten years ago a friend of mine loaned me the Gianluigi Trovesi Octet From G to G and opened my ears to the musical world outside of bop and hard bop. Until then, I had been a die-hard Blue Note guy who really hadn't ventured too far out in my listening.

That night, I listened to that CD about three times. The music was complex, yet very accessible. The musicians were able to play out and then reel their ideas in at the drop of a lira. There was also an underlying sense of humor and fun to their playing. The following morning I immediately ordered a copy of this disc for myself.

This was the first time that this type of free playing clicked for me and I was hooked. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy bop and hard bop. In fact I enjoy recordings from most eras and styles that fall under the jazz label.

This recording also served as my introduction to the Soul Note label and the discovery of a lot of great music being created outside the confines of the United States.

In the words of film maker Marty DiBergi:

"Enough of my yakkin'. Whaddaya say, let's boogie!"

Good choice!

I don't have this Trovesi, but have quiet a few other ones. Trovesi is an excellent musician with great ideas; a little bit too "clean" for my tastes in his playing, but still very enjoyable. I am less of a fan of his often sidekick Minafra - technically amazing trumpeter, but more of a musical show(-off)man, in my view.

Wasn't planning to buy this Trovesi CD at the moment (just bought his excellent "A midsummer's dream" (Enja), Italian Instabile's "Litania subilante" and "La banda" - enough of Trovesi for now), so won't be able to comment on this one, but will re-listen to another Octet disc I have: Les Hommes Armees (Soul Note, 1996)

B00000404W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm glad to see other board members enjoy this disc. I'll have to give Les Hommes Armees another listen tonight. I also need to hear some of Trovesi's more recent work on ECM.

I just have to say that I really enjoy this weekly tradition. Not only have I been exposed to some great music, I've also been inspired to revisit some of the forgotten gems in my archives.

Edited by alejo

I've listened to it again a couple of times since my last post, and I must say the this is really a very rich album.

I'd have to agree with Steve Reynolds's comment above that this is one of the great recordings of the past 20 years. Every time I pull it out, which has been about once or twice a year for the past ten or so years, it gets multiple spins. And I've returned to this at least as much, if not more, than any other disc of the past 20 years.

Also agree with jlhoots that this is my favorite Trovesi of those that I've heard.

And alejo, I emphatically agree with your general characterization of the disc at hand.

I'm going to give several spins more and then report back. :excited:

• 2 weeks later...

If you get the chance, see the man live. Wonderful playing but also very good humoured, able to win over a English-speaking audience even though his English is not perfect.

I don't enjoy his ECM recordings as much as the earlier pieces. From G to G is a tremendous record (I owe Steve for alerting me to it a few years back and opening up the whole wonderful world of Italian jazz to me).

One you might have missed:

9384.jpg

Some pronounced electric guitar in there alongside the usual jazz/Italian folk influences.

Pino Minafra, the trumpet player on 'From G to G', is a mighty performer in his own right though rather under-recorded. His 'Sudori' is a classic and his 2005 release:

ENJ9480.jpg

should be snapped up.