Where's Clementine?

paul secor

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm hoping he's working on a novel. . . . He's like the Faulkner of organissimo if you ask me. . . I enjoy reading his posts a lot.

I understand most of them. . .  -_-

Anyway, I'd wish he'd return to posting. . . has to be more fun than "excavating for a mine."

Just because he sounds like Benjy don't mean he's Faulkner... :g

:lol::tup

Btw, folks.

I like reading Faulkner. I see few similarities between the two.

Well I do.

It's more the way that he creates his own little world of words. Faulkner did that, even created his own little county.

Rag on him, sure, he likes that. But he's smart and sassy and has a depth of his own. . . a depth that some other posters don't have. That's how I see it.

Here's another similarity:  Faulkner was a Southerner and Clem liked to type "Ya'll"

That would be unfortunate, as the proper contraction is "y'all"... ;)

Actually it's "yawl", a distinct word, not a contraction. But render unto Caesar and all that. Gotta let massa think we's all happy and educated and shit.

You know I'd like to reread a number of Faulkner books, I'd like to have the time; I have so many books piled up to read. . . . And I'm supposed to be putting my time and effort elsewhere.

I find I get more out of Faulkner as I gain life experience. That's not always true with some of the authors I've reread, but it has always been true of William.

I find I get more out of Faulkner as I gain life experience.  That's not always true with some of the authors I've reread, but it has always been true of William.

I hear that. I just don't understand the point of assigning Faulkner to college students. What the heck is a nineteen year old going to get out of that stuff? But don't mind me; I'm still not sure Yankees should read it... :lol:

Here's another similarity:  Faulkner was a Southerner and Clem liked to type "Ya'll"

That would be unfortunate, as the proper contraction is "y'all"... ;)

Actually it's "yawl", a distinct word, not a contraction. But render unto Caesar and all that. Gotta let massa think we's all happy and educated and shit.

Is that a Texas thing or what? Everywhere I've been in the South, its "y'all" - a contraction of "you all".

I think it is worth assigning to college students. . . . Faulkner exposes them to a different style that is "ear opening" in its way, a different use of language. And the thematic material is also in its way different from a lot of other literature and worth exposing students to. I dug him when I was college age a lot, maybe was even influenced by his work somewhat.