My favorite station

• 2 weeks later...

Can't imagine why. Just go to the playlists and you'll see they've sucked the life out of the once proud KLON. Taken out anything with the slightest attack or passion of *any* kind. There are pages upon pages of conversation re. the *obvious* decline of this station on another jazz BB.

Edited by James

Can't imagine why. Just go to the playlists and you'll see they've sucked the life out of the once proud KLON. Taken out anything with the slightest attack or passion of *any* kind. There are pages upon pages of conversation re. the *obvious* decline of this station on another jazz BB.

Everytime I pass through LA, I cry. Southern California deserves better.

Don't want to get the kjazz thing going here full scale--truthfully, it's gotten way past it due date over on the other board, but fill in the details a bit about the older station, what they've gotten rid of, what they seem to be trying to do, etc.

--eric

Eric ---- I understand you not wanted to ignite a full-fledged assault the likes of which has transpired on the other board. Neither do I. In a nutshell, KKJZ has "centered" their music to the point of absolutely sterilizing it. No emotional extremes - no attack, no lament, etc. The emotional honesty and completeness that helped us fall in love with jazz in the first place. Now mind you -- this is not a judgement on the quality of the music that's being played. The station has improved recently in terms of it's loyalty to local players. The problem is the lack of emotional range reflected in the playlist -- as well as obvious instrumental substitutions. More guitars taking the place of those "oh so aggressive" horns, for one example.

After the original post and my downbeat reply, I've spent a bit of time listening. Two thoughts:

First, the station remains a disappointment for its lack of edge or daring; who (other than me) could be offended by their playlist?

One positive note, though, is that the station does a great job supporting and remembering local talent. I've heard features on Harold Land, Hamp Hawes and Buddy Collette. Then again, playing Jack Sheldon every fifth song becomes a bit wearying.

So there is a good side to KKJZ. If only they didn't call themselves K-Jazz; this can't help but lead to comparisons to the late, great Alameda legend.

I would just like to add a plug for KCSM-FM in the Bay Area .. I find their music eclectic, and with a very friendly presentation. Also, the Toronto station (formerly CJRT-FM) and now www.JazzFM91 can be wonderful at times, especially late at night, and with great sound ...

Garth, in Houston, the 4th largest city in the country, and without a fulltime jazz radio station!

Edited by garthsj