This Is The Place

C'mon Greg: you have done more for the guys than anyone so far: stay with it. This could be your chance to make the big time: guitar players - and I speak with some authority - come in six packs. But, good managers are hard to find. Sure, RD needs some help, but with James and Matt and yourself, Jim and Freddie (Little Milton?), you have a good shot. And, forget about washing the car: you want to use Beulah, just let me know, ok?

Love ya, man

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon Greg: you have done more for the guys than anyone so far: stay with it.  This could be your chance to make the big time: guitar players - and I speak with some authority - come in six packs.  But, good managers are hard to find.  Sure, RD needs some help, but with James and Matt and yourself, Jim and Freddie (Little Milton?), you have a good shot.  And, forget about washing the car: you want to use Beulah, just let me know, ok?

Love ya, man

Theo,

trust me, if this one agency in particular steps in, you will see HUGE gigs comin' in. I am a much better guitar player than booking agent. These big time agents have connections and relationships way beyond my scope. Now I will still wear the co-mgt hat with both bands. I've always managed my own bands and have helped with others. I am pretty good at it, me thinks. I am not going anywhere.

Didn't mean to give you the wrong impression. It's just that as things get bigger tasks become more specialized and for good reason. Jim and I are still building a catalog of original tunes, as well as organissimo, for the new label. We are also considering new artists. Your son is quite the business minded guy himself, don't let him fool you.

However, if you were worried I were leaving and were attempting a bribe with Beulah... uh well, disregard the above. ;) But seriously, if this agency steps in we will have a BIG party! You should see their exclusive roster.

G

Ok Greg.  You know best.  Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your work.

You are not retracting the guitar offer are you? lol

BTW, check out where I just booked the fellas. In the mood for a road trip to the nations capital?????

:)

New review of the disc up at AAJ:
I'm getting the munchies all of a sudden.

"Pouring the hot butter richness of a Hammond B3 over a funky backbeat with a side of tart and tasty guitar, the group's sound is damn near irresistible."

Edited by Robert J

I'm getting the munchies all of a sudden.

"Pouring the hot butter richness of a Hammond B3 over a funky backbeat with a side of tart and tasty guitar, the group's sound is damn near irresistible."

By the way, Robert, I can remember if I mentioned it before, but I dig what you are playing. Oh, if you can make the Baker's gig in October, I would love to meet you.

Best,

g

By the way, Robert, I can remember if I mentioned it before, but I dig what you are playing.  Oh, if you can make the Baker's gig in October, I would love to meet you.

Best,

g

Thank you kindly for that. I'd love to, really I would. Can't see a trip to Michigan though before the year end. Most of my family is now up this way, except my mother who I visit in the summer in Windsor (she has a pool). As you know I passed through on a recent trip.

But what about Organissimo in Toronto? Is it possible? I mentioned before that Joey D comes up often as his guitarist Jake Langley is from here. Some good live venues here and a 24 hour jazz station and 3/4 college stations to promote.

By the way, Robert, I can remember if I mentioned it before, but I dig what you are playing.   Oh, if you can make the Baker's gig in October, I would love to meet you.

Best,

g

Thank you kindly for that. I'd love to, really I would. Can't see a trip to Michigan though before the year end. Most of my family is now up this way, except my mother who I visit in the summer in Windsor (she has a pool). As you know I passed through on a recent trip.

But what about Organissimo in Toronto? Is it possible? I mentioned before that Joey D comes up often as his guitarist Jake Langley is from here. Some good live venues here and a 24 hour jazz station and 3/4 college stations to promote.

Ahhh, I was thinking YOU lived in Windsor for some reason. Sorry 'bout that.

Toronto would be fun. Actually, both Root Doctor and organissimo will play there

someday, I believe.

g

I was born, raised, first listened to jazz and went to university there - philosophy/english degree. But left at 23 for Toronto cause I didn't want to get sucked into the factories. Now I live in Oakville (ironically housing another big Ford plant) and work in downtown Toronto.

Just let me know when you're up. I can probably get people to plug Organissimo on the radio or in print. Hell, I'll write up the story. :) Maybe a Golden Horseshoe Tour and then top it off in Buffalo. Or you could do like the Stones do - live here for a few months, rehearse, then start the world tour in a small nightclub for $10 before coming back a couple of months later and charge $400. :rofl:

I was born, raised, first listened to jazz and went to university there - philosophy/english degree. But left at 23 for Toronto cause I didn't want to get sucked into the factories. Now I live in Oakville (ironically housing another big Ford plant) and work in downtown Toronto.

Just let me know when you're up. I can probably get people to plug Organissimo on the radio or in print. Hell, I'll write up the story. :) Maybe a Golden Horseshoe Tour and then top it off in Buffalo. Or you could do like the Stones do - live here for a few months, rehearse, then start the world tour in a small nightclub for $10 before coming back a couple of months later and charge $400.  :rofl:

I grew up in Flint, so I can relate to the factory thing. Well I could...

Windsor sure looks nice from here. I did a gig on a Detroit River boat and Windsor looked sooo pretty at night. Yeah, I know, it ain't Toronto, but it sure looks relatively good (if ya get my meaning).

yeah, right. I don't drive at night - can't see, don't travel, except when my wife makes me, don't like the guvmint, ain't got no time' no money, and so on. What can I say? Y'all gonna haf to do it yersef, but I still want that Caddy! :angry:

I still think Organissimo should do a tune called, Eat Yo Greens, as suggested

Edited by doctor-theo

Windsor sure looks nice from here.  I did a gig on a Detroit River boat and Windsor looked sooo pretty at night.  Yeah, I know, it ain't Toronto, but it sure looks relatively good (if ya get my meaning).

I don't knock Windsor. Though many in Toronto do of course ("I'm sorry to hear that"). Our side of the pond is pretty nice to look at and I have fond memories of the freedon festival fireworks when I was growing up.

I once did solo piano for a wedding on a river boat as well.

But if Windsor didn't have Detroit, my upbringing would have been much different without: WJZZ, WDET, WRIF, WWWW, Greektown, Mexican Village, the Renaissance Centre, Detroit Jazz festival, Mort Crim on Channel 4 (was it Bill Bonds on Channel 7? - I remember him crying on camera once), Sir Graves Ghastley, Cartoons on Channels 20 and 50, Red Wings games, the DIA, Wayne State, St Andrew's Hall, Cobo Hall (and all those great auto shows), Ford Auditorium (my first symphony concerts), $1 shooters, 20 cent beers, State Theatre, the Fox theatre, AC Lindell's and Tiger Stadium. The list could go on. This is why, for instance, London Ontario is so boring in comparison. :g

Windsor sure looks nice from here.  I did a gig on a Detroit River boat and Windsor looked sooo pretty at night.  Yeah, I know, it ain't Toronto, but it sure looks relatively good (if ya get my meaning).

I don't knock Windsor. Though many in Toronto do of course ("I'm sorry to hear that"). Our side of the pond is pretty nice to look at and I have fond memories of the freedon festival fireworks when I was growing up.

I once did solo piano for a wedding on a river boat as well.

But if Windsor didn't have Detroit, my upbringing would have been much different without: WJZZ, WDET, WRIF, WWWW, Greektown, Mexican Village, the Renaissance Centre, Detroit Jazz festival, Mort Crim on Channel 4 (was it Bill Bonds on Channel 7? - I remember him crying on camera once), Sir Graves Ghastley, Cartoons on Channels 20 and 50, Red Wings games, the DIA, Wayne State, St Andrew's Hall, Cobo Hall (and all those great auto shows), Ford Auditorium (my first symphony concerts), $1 shooters, 20 cent beers, State Theatre, the Fox theatre, AC Lindell's and Tiger Stadium. The list could go on. This is why, for instance, London Ontario is so boring in comparison. :g

Sir Graves Ghastley

oh man, I totally forgot about that dude!!! lol Yeah, we got channel 50 up in Flint.

I think I remember that Bill Bonds bit as well. Poor dude. I felt bad for him.

But I hear ya, Detroit has created and provided a lot of good(s) material and otherwise, and is still kickin'. :)

We just need to work on Flint, here. It is sad, but still, there are a lot of good

people still in the area. So, things might get better.

You got a CD out, Robert? If so, I would LOVE to hear more. Any dude who digs Otis is cool in my book.

g

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=19186

No mention of "Tenderly" or "Smoking Section."  :huh:

Almost always good to get a review. And it is a nice one, but I hear ya, Tenderly and Smokin' Section are garnering a lot of airplay and positive feeback in general, so it struck me as slightly odd. Of course, everyone has their personal tastes and interests. Speaking of which, I discoverd your streaming music last night at about 12:45, and heard Horace Silver and Lou Donaldson and some other really really great stuff. I was diggin' it. I need to find the exact tunes so I can buy some music.

g

"This Is The Place" reviewed on All Music.com by Scott Yanow.

organissimo on All Music

I may be wrong, but I suspect that this is the kind of review that can really catapult the group upward, not only in CD sales, but in all of your upcoming gigs with the "must be fun to see live" comment. You know, people hear a tune on the radio, hear about the record, go check AMG ...

And it is so rare for Yanow to approve of an organ record, especially of one that he describes the organist as somewhere between soul jazz and funk.

Congrats, guys!