This Is The Place

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you all the best on your tour: it has been a long time coming and, as I have always maintained, all you need is the right set of ears to hear you and you will instantly be in the mainstream of American jazz: you are world class - there's no doubt about it.

I'll be rooting for you :D

I wish you all the best on your tour: it has been a long time coming and, as I have always maintained, all you need is the right set of ears to hear you and you will instantly be in the mainstream of American jazz: you are world class - there's no doubt about it.

I'll be rooting for you  :D

Hey brother Theo, thanks for your support and note of confidence in this here trio... :cool:

Almost always good to get a review. And it is a nice one, but I hear ya, Tenderly and Smokin' Section are garnering a lot of airplay and positive feeback in general, so it struck me as slightly odd. Of course, everyone has their personal tastes and interests. Speaking of which, I discoverd your streaming music last night at about 12:45, and heard Horace Silver and Lou Donaldson and some other really really great stuff. I was diggin' it. I need to find the exact tunes so I can buy some music.

g

hey Jim, didnt buy the new cd yet, but I'm wondering which song it was that the ladies from the beauty parlor came into the studio and told you guys to keep it down. Wasn't it a 3/4 tune, that your wife hates, and your dad loves?

Can anyone answer this?

Sorry. It's "Smokin' Section".

This is Alison... (B-3er's wife)

I realize I am way late to respond to this, but I have to state my case! I don't hate Smokin' Section. You must realize the guys rehearse here and I heard that tune in pieces over and over and over again. It took some time for me to know what it was to become. It still isn't my favorite track, but I did get a big chuckle when the beauty shop asked them to turn it down on that one. The band thought it was a female thing!

To say the least I am incredibly proud of my three men. This project has been very exciting through and through. The music is amazing and the fans are inspirational. I am so proud of them on this tour right now. The house is so empty when the B3 isn't humming.

AA

Big O is getting their second wind up here:

WNMC Traverse City Top 10 jazz.

# ARTIST Recording

1 ADA ROVATTI Airbop

2 ORGANISSIMO This Is The Place

3 RAY BARRETTO Time Was - Time Is

4 BUCKY PIZZARELLI AND FRANK VIGNOLA Moonglow

5 BUJO KEVIN JONES Tenth World

6 SONIDO ISLENO Vive Jazz

7 THELONIOUS MONK QUARTET/JOHN COLTRANE Live At Carnegie Hall

8 DICK JOHNSON AND THE NATURALS* Artie's Choice And The Naturalizer*

9 KENNY BARRON TRIO The Perfect Set: Live at Bradley's II

10 BILL MAYS TRIO Live At Jazz Standard

You should be getting in our overall Top 10, as well.

--eric

• 5 months later...

Ok, I am a bit late to this party, having hoped that after your big splash playing live in NYC that the stores here in NYC might carry this cd.

After several attempts to order the thing, I just decided to send JimA. the cold hard cash.

Have listened now to the cd several times and I am really enjoying it.

The first thing that struck me was how nicely balanced the talent in the band is and how everyone contributes and gets to be heard. All three take solos that I liked.

Also I liked the writing on several of the original tunes, but in particular I liked "Smoking Section" and I think that is my favorite tune on the CD.

I thought the intro to Tenderly by Joe was a fantastic change of pace from the frankly danceable tunes (making me think you guys must really really shine when heard live) that preceded it and then of course, your version of Tenderly- very different and engaging.

Congratulations to all of you - I am really enjoying this one!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I am a bit late to this party, having hoped that after your big splash playing live in NYC that the stores here in NYC might carry this cd.

After several attempts to order the thing, I just decided to send JimA. the cold hard cash.

Have listened now to the cd several times and I am really enjoying it.

The first thing that struck me was how nicely balanced the talent in the band is and how everyone contributes and gets to be heard. All three take solos that I liked.

Also I liked the writing on several of the original tunes, but in particular I liked "Smoking Section" and I think that is my favorite tune on the CD.

I thought the intro to Tenderly by Joe was a fantastic change of pace from the frankly danceable tunes (making me think you guys must really really shine when heard live) that preceded it and then of course, your version of Tenderly- very different and engaging.

Congratulations to all of you - I am really enjoying this one!

would love to hear you guys kickin it with a big jivin band. anything planned?

• 3 months later...

An old friend of mine, a guitar player and avid lover of jazz and good music wanted me to post this on our forums..

This thing smokes! :tup

Great stuff! So far (two or three listens) I think the standouts are

Smokin' Section, Stomp Yo' Feets, Play Nice; lots of odd-meter playing

that really holds together - the blend is awesome. And Tenderly is

something special as well; very nice intro that Joe put together.

And I like the dynamics in Wealthy Street; it builds, and goes somewhere,

every verse. Maybe the dynamics are due in part to the sparseness of the

instrumentation; everybody's got a niche. Too many voices, it gets

crowded; with the three distinct voices happening, all with their

function, there's room to move.

The blend is what it's all about; you are the glue, holding it all

together. Great drum sound on this record; subtlety along with a huge

amount of propulsion throughout that I haven't heard anybody else do as

well; and I ain't saying that just because I know you. Glad to see you've

found the right mix of guys (maybe it's the other way around.)

Jim Leitch