This Is The Place

Jim, Joe and Randy,

I don't even have my copy yet but hearing several cuts on www.radioio I want to congratulate you all on a fantastic job on this disc! I can only imagine how excited you guys must be to have this out. I was excited to hear it for myself and now that I've heard some I'm getting excited for you.

I am very impressed with the development of the band since ...Sisters and I thought that it was pretty great too! Joe especially. I think your playing on Sisters was very good but it was the kind of playing that might get lost on nonguitarist or nonmusicians. From what I've heard so far, Joe's playng is not only the right notes played technically well but there is an energy and a passion that I didn't get as much from ...Sisters. It may have just not been captured on ...Sisters as well but it's a noticable difference. It's the kind of energy and passion that everyone can not only hear but feel. Kinda like how Santana can play a one note solo and it be great.

The songwriting has improved as well. On ...Sisters, several of the tunes reminded me of other songs and were obviously derived from influences. These tunes seem more original and more your own "voice" rather than imitation of others.

Even if this recording doesn't bring you fame and wealth (if there is any justice in the industry it will - BIG if, I know) you guys should be very proud to have made such a great record. I wish you all the success this record deserves.

Keep it GREAZY!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a review from the current JazzWeek issue.

Congratulations, guys!

organissimo

This Is The Place (Big “O” Records)

LANSING, MICHIGAN-BASED organissimo (with a small “o”

despite its Big “O” Records label) somewhat self-deprecatingly

refers to itself as a bar band. But the group goes well beyond that

as it stretches the boundaries of the traditional organ trio with bits of

funk, blues, Latin,groove and New Orleans influences.

The trio is smack dab in the soul jazz pocket with its opening “Wealthy

Street” and gets down and dirty with a Big Easy-influenced “Greaze Monkey.” “Tenderly”shows the group’s softer side, as organist Jim Alfredson’s

bossa nova arrangement leads to some sweet guitar from Joe Gloss.

Versatile drummer Randy Marsh even doubles on harmonica on the slow

gospel-funk of “Brother Ray.”Yet anoother gem on this CD is a venerating cover of Frank Zappa’s “Peaches En Regalia.”

More than the run-of-the mill organ combo, organissimo should appeal to B3 lovers

and groove kids alike.

Edited by marcello

organissimo

This Is The Place (Big “O” Records)

LANSING, MICHIGAN-BASED organissimo (with a small “o” despite its Big “O” Records label) somewhat self-deprecatingly refers to itself as a bar band. But the group goes well beyond that as it stretches the boundaries of the traditional organ trio with bits of funk, blues, Latin,groove and New Orleans influences.

The trio is smack dab in the soul jazz pocket with its opening “Wealthy Street” and gets down and dirty with a Big Easy-influenced “Greaze Monkey.” “Tenderly”shows the group’s softer side, as organist Jim Alfredson’s bossa nova arrangement leads to some sweet guitar from Joe Gloss. Versatile drummer Randy Marsh even doubles on harmonica on the slow gospel-funk of “Brother Ray". Yet another gem on this CD is a venerating cover of Frank Zappa’s “Peaches En Regalia.”

More than the run-of-the mill organ combo, organissimo should appeal to B3 lovers

and groove kids alike.

Yes, Mitchell just sent this to me! How exciting!!! Our first positive reviews!

To everyone who has supported us thus-far by hanging out here or buying the last record or pre-ordering this new record, I want to personally extend a very heartfelt and GIGANTIC "thank you"! We couldn't have done it without you. I know it sounds cliche, but in this case it is completely true. Your support gave us the confidence to self-produce yet another CD and to keep on keepin' on with our vision of what the organ trio can be.

To all those who pre-ordered: I sent out all domestic packages today (over 50!!) so you should be seeing them as soon as the week's end, depending on where you are in the country. I will try my best to get the international orders out tomorrow, although it might have to wait until Thursday since I am going into the studio with my r&b band tomorrow.

Again, thank you all for everything! And please, when you get your copy of the new disc, check in here and let me know. All comments are welcome as well. Positive, negative, lukewarm... it's all good! The CD should be on CDBaby by the end of the week and please please please review it (even if it ain't so positive). Thank you!

By the way, thank you scottb for the kind words. Wait until you hear the record in all it's high-fidelity glory instead of streamed in a low-bit rate!!! It sounds fantastic!

You're right, the development of the band from WFTBS to this record (in just two years) is pretty bold. I am very proud of my boyz and what we've accomplished, even if the scale is small. I've stated it before, but my goal is to no less than re-define what the organ trio can do. And I'm extremely lucky to have found two musical soulmates who share that vision.

Congratulations Jim, Joe and Randy. You guys definitely bumped it up four or five notches. Sweet playing all around. A homerun. Certainly a fitting introduction to a national jazz radio audience and the JazzWeek chart. I predict mucho airplay and deservedly so. Spin-o-missimo! :tup:tup:tup

I am very impressed with the development of the band since ...Sisters and I  thought that it was pretty great too!  Joe especially.  I think your playing on Sisters was very good but it was the kind of playing that might get lost on nonguitarist or nonmusicians.  From what I've heard so far, Joe's playng is not only the right notes played technically well but there is an energy and a passion that I didn't get as much from ...Sisters.  It may have just not been captured on ...Sisters as well but it's a noticable difference.  It's the kind of energy and passion that everyone can not only hear but feel.  Kinda like how Santana can play a one note solo and it be great.

The songwriting has improved as well.  On ...Sisters, several of the tunes reminded me of other songs and were obviously derived from influences.  These tunes seem more original and more your own "voice" rather than imitation of others.

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Don, you should get yours tomorrow, I would expect. I was not able to get to the PO today for the international orders. I'll try again tomorrow. I apologize for the delay, but on the plus side, I had a great time in the studio with my r&b band, even making up a tune on the spot. I just got back from the session, actually.

Tomorrow it's more recording starting at noon. I'll do my best to get to the PO in the morning.

Uncle Skid, thanks for the comments! I just got wind that CDBaby got their CDs today, so it should be up and for sale on the CDBaby website in a few days. Please folks, if you feel up to it, write a short review on the CDBaby page. It really does help us sell more.

Thanks!

Got my two copies in the mail this evening. Listening to it now. Nice.

Jim, please post the cdbaby link once they've got your new cd, so we can write reviews.

Noj, great artwork! It would have been even better if the band hadn't signed all over it! ;)

Will comment on the music after multiple listenings. First thoughts: I really like "Smoking Section." That's as far as I've heard into the cd at the moment. Six more tracks to go!

Review, review: just let me say that the entire album is great, but I have to admit that the tune, brother ray, has taken me over. What an amazing deep south, soulful piece of work that is. Randy, can't believe your harp playing on this tune: breaks my heart. And as for 'smoking section, fusion up the butt. Of course I am partial to the little into with Beulah, my Super 400. Joe made her talk, for sure. Thanks to Bill, the percussionist on track two and Tenderly: nice, nice, nice. Pumpkin Pie? I know who that's about. LOL Little Zora.

Johnny Gist: you rascal: good to hear you again. Zappa? God, Jim, I have never heard you play anything like that in your life. I thought you were going to be saved!

And Joe? What can I say: you are so good you make this old guitar player proud. I could have been a contender, until you came along. Absolutely great!

I am proud of all of you and have no doubt that this album will gather much attention in the world of contemporary jazz: And as for the rest of you organ pickers, watch your asses!

Theo, da man!