Mosaic does vinyl.....again!!

wolff

From Mosaic site....

The Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall ( MQ1-231 Mosaic (200-gram)HQ-LP $30.00)

Larry Appelbaum at the Library of Congress discovered a heretofore unknown November 1957 Carnegie Hall concert taped by Voice Of America radio. What makes this news earth-shattering is the existence of two 25-minute sets by the legendary Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane. And the music more than delivers on its promise. Pianistically, Monk will shock you and Coltrane is focused and impassioned throughout and the sound is excellent. For only the 2nd time in its history The Library of Congress allowed the master tape to be taken from its premises. The original tape was brought to New York to Master Cutting Room and mastered by Kevin Hodge and will be pressed at RTI where Classic Records has allowed us to use their exclusive 200-gram press. CD will be issued by Blue Note for $17.98.

PLEASE NOTE: If you buy the LP and CD from us, we will sell both for $40.

Of course, I'm glad to see this being pressed on vinyl.

I do have reservations at this point and will take a wait and see stance.

50 plus minutes on one LP?? Not good.

Is it analog or digital?

Using Classic's 200 gram/flat edge press. I own quite a few of these , but defects are not uncommon and I've sent a few back to get a quiet/flat copy. I'll see if they take returns before ordering. They are just asking for trouble by doing this. 140 or 180 pressings from RTI would be cheaper with less of a chance for defects.

OTOH, if they make it a double LP in nice sounding analog, and it's flat and quiet, this will be a killer product.

Big if....

Edited by wolff

Well, I shared some of the trepidation but I'm not going to make any comments until I actually see and hear the product. Mosaic's vinyl has always been high quality in the past, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until problems are apparent.

Also: while the general comment about sound quality is reassuring, it's after all quite an old live recording and that could mean that fundamental limitations in the source tapes might trump any "finer" problems with the mode of vinyl production.

So just too early to call it yet for me!

From Mosaic site....

The Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall ( MQ1-231 Mosaic (200-gram)HQ-LP $30.00)

Larry Appelbaum at the Library of Congress discovered a heretofore unknown November 1957 Carnegie Hall concert taped by Voice Of America radio. What makes this news earth-shattering is the existence of two 25-minute sets by the legendary Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane. And the music more than delivers on its promise. Pianistically, Monk will shock you and Coltrane is focused and impassioned throughout and the sound is excellent. For only the 2nd time in its history The Library of Congress allowed the master tape to be taken from its premises. The original tape was brought to New York to Master Cutting Room and mastered by Kevin Hodge and will be pressed at RTI where Classic Records has allowed us to use their exclusive 200-gram press. CD will be issued by Blue Note for $17.98.

PLEASE NOTE: If you buy the LP and CD from us, we will sell both for $40.

Of course, I'm glad to see this being pressed on vinyl.

I do have reservations at this point and will take a wait and see stance.

50 plus minutes on one LP??  Not good.

Is it analog or digital?

Using Classic's 200 gram/flat edge press.  I own quite a few of these , but defects are not uncommon and I've sent a few back to get a quiet/flat copy.  I'll see if they take returns before ordering.  They are just asking for trouble by doing this.  140 or 180 pressings from RTI would be cheaper with less of a chance for defects.

OTOH,  if they make it a double LP in nice sounding analog, and it's flat and quiet, this will be a killer product. 

Big if....

My understanding is that this will be a 'one off' from Mosaic. See my comments confirming this forthcoming vinyl issue on a thread of several weeks ago. Scott confirmed that they had no current intention to follow up with other vinyl, sadly. Nice though that they are making this one available.

Also: while the general comment about sound quality is reassuring, it's after all quite an old live recording and that could mean that fundamental limitations in the source tapes might trump any "finer" problems with the mode of vinyl production.

So just too early to call it yet for me!

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel told me that the sonics of this recording are pretty amazing.

I'm definitely ordering this one. Probably two copies, just in case...

About a month ago, when I spoke to him, he said they weren't sure who'd be doing the liner notes. I suggested myself, but haven't heard from Mosaic yet. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Did he tell you if it will be analog or digital?

Here is the latest info on Classic's 200 gram pressings. LINK

Though Mosaic has no more plans for vinyl, I hope this little venture leads to Classic getting a shot at more BN titles.

Edited by wolff

I've actually taken a tour of RTI and found their facilities and personel to be top-notch. I'm always shocked when I hear about defective pressings coming from them given their high QC, but I've also heard about problems with Classic's 200g LPs. (My impression was that RTI would rather not press the 200g but that that's what Classic wants and audiophiles buy.)

Yes, I've heard that also. Makes sense. I've been buying RTI products since day one. I'm guessing I have 150-200 LPs done at RTI, over 80 Classic 180 gram LPs, alone. I never had much of a problem until I ran into a couple bad 200 gram LPs. It gives them both bad PR, but they seem to be working it out.

• 11 months later...

I have only heard the CD, and I think this recording is not really worth an audiophile treatment.

The sound is decent and enjoyable, but not nearly as good as state-of-the-art studio and live recordings from the same era. Bass and drums sound a bit too distant in the mix, dynamics are limited.

But maybe on $30 vinyl it sounds much better ;)