Lucky Thompson death reported

brownie

Saw that JC has a report from Lucky Thompson's son Darryl that his father died on Saturday in Seattle. He was 81 and had suffered from Alzheimer's disease for several years.

A true giant disappears.

Lucky Thompson's last years seem to have been so sad that news of his death comes as some kind of relief! What a sad day!

I'll treasure the wonderful memories I have of him and his talent from the times I caught him live and at the top of his art when he appeared with Oscar Pettiford at the Chat Qui Peche club in Paris in 1959.

Edited by brownie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to prod him into performing (and recording) in the early '80s. He was living in Georgia then. He said he was writing music and working on his chops. He seemed to be in very good spirits and seemed mellow. Then all of a sudden he disappeared.

He sent me some news clippings from Savannah. I think I'll dig those out today.

R.I.P.

Another of my top favourites has passed. The welcome jam session in heaven will be fabulous, I'm sure. Thanks a thousand times for many beautiful moments I got from your music, and the many more it will give me until I will finally meet you up there ...