BFT #28 - Disc One: DISCUSSION

MartyJazz

Re Track eight...I've been giving this a return listening now and then. It's a GOOD track. I'm wondering now if it's McKinney's Cotton Pickers with Fats Waller on piano. (I should have said in my earlier post where I speculated Fletcher Henderson, that I didn't think Fletcher was the pianist - so if its Fletcher's band I'll still go with Fats on piano.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last, my two cents ... the reasons why I am so late can be read in the AOTW thread I just started.

What a pity, as this disc is lovingly conceived, carefully programmed and all - I loved it right from the start, but then fate struck and interrupted my listening pleasures. I have to admit that besides the lack of time I had to regain the right mood for this type of music. To make things worse, I can't locate my notes taken at first listen ... It's a great bunch of discs, will receive frequent replay, that's for sure.

No AMGing or checking my collection, except for three items I identified right away, and no peeking at the others' guesses.

>>>ME:  Glad you finally came on board, Mike.  I was beginning to give up on you.  Thanks for the compliments on the disc, sorry you can't locate your notes, and very gratified that this disc "will receive frequent replay".

(snip)

Track 2: One of the few satisfying mixes of tango and jazz rhythm I have heard. No idea who they are. Nice theme. Nice soloists throughout. Trumpet has a touch of Dorham. Pepper Adams on baritone? Or his master disciple, Gary Smulyan? I hear some Barry Harris in the piano solo ... Gets nicer by the bar - who is this? (Being that late, I have the chance someone might have guessed, the only advantage of joining late.)

Track 3: Modern neobop piano à la Corea's "Now he sings ...", but that's not him. Like the pianist better than Corea, although I'm not a fan of that fast type of jazz. But they listen to each other, do not overplay, build it up nicely - a very good performance, but not something I would buy.

>>>ME: Your guesses are completely on the mark on #2, and the appeal of track #3 for me was definitely initially based on what I also felt was a very acoustic Chick approach.  Both of the above tracks have been id'd earlier.

Track 4: Oh!!! What a nice surprise!!! A track I considered for my upcoming BFT next year ....Wonder how many got this, brownie, did, I'm sure. I wish he would have lived longer to develop more in that direction. Great stuff with a very special aura.

>>>ME:  Glad I beat you to the punch and yes, brownie nailed this one as he's apparently had the vinyl for many a year.  What's nice also is that I think he likes the sound of this CD remaster very much.

Track 5: Almost silverish theme, I think I recognize Cecil Payne already in the theme, so personal is his sound. Yeah, that must be Cecil! I want this! Trumpet has some characteristic licks ...  Arthur Taylor on drums? Or Lex Humphries? Interesting alto. Almost Blue-Note-ish in sound, but I would know if there was another Blue Note date with Cecil. Can't wait to find out. 

>>>ME: On the money with the bari and kudos for recognizing him before he even soloed.  I'm sure you've already seen that it's been id'd and it's not a Blue Note.

Track 6: Quite a leap back in time .... pianist sounds like he listened to some beboppers already, but the ain't none, to many unelegant chromatics, can't identify him.

>>>ME:  The pianist certainly became a hard core bebopper in time.  Tragic career unfortunately.

Track 7: First thought was, "this is an unreleased outtake from Tadd Dameron's last album ....", and in a way, that's what it is. Good solos, but shaky ensembles. More rehearsals and one more session, and we would have one more great Dameron album. Why did Alfred Lion abandon that project?????

BTW - I still wonder why there weren't more comments on the Dameron AOTW. 

>>>ME:  I hardly every look at the AOTW thread.  Will rectify that.  As for Alfred Lion, I also mention him in connection with my upcoming answers to this BFT and this particular track.

Track 8: I'm not well-rounded enough in this era of jazz, but this is another great track. Too much good music, as they say, and way too little time and money ... Great sock cymbal work! They swing like mad! Gimme more of this!

Track 9: I guess Walt Dickerson - the delicate vibes sound and agile phrasing suggest this. If so, an early Prestige album. Excellent choice!

Track 10: Huh? A piano solo after that sax section intro? Chaloff-like baritone. West coast alto cat. Mel Lewis on drums? Some licks are out of his book, but the overall drum sound is a little light for him. Excellent job, but not a must buy for me. I find the piano superfluous in this one, somehow.

Track 11: I know that composition, but can't put my finger on it. Like that trumpeter very much.  Blue Mitchell? Don't have the time to check his Riversides, which have a whole LP and several tracks in a quartet setting. That bass sounds like Sam Jones. Roy Brooks?

Track 12: Two altos, vibes, bass and drums? Hutcherson? I don't listen to that type of thing too often, but this is nice.

Track 13: I have too little of good swing era music in my collection, that's for sure ..... but that could be Basie. Is Quinichette among the tenors? Lestorian cats ... the end theme is an old Basie warhorse, IIRC.

>>>ME:  Very good guesses and near misses on the previous tracks, and no, Quinichette is not one of the tenors on the elusive track #13.

Track 14: Monkish humor in the theme - yeah! I like this kind of thing very much. That mellow trumpet sounds familiar. This pianist understood his Thelonious pretty well. Excellent choice - who is this?

>>>ME:  My thoughts exactly re this track and it too was surprisingly, to me at least, id'd rather early.

(snip)

Track 18: Very humorous again - Mingus-type writing. Is that Jaki Byard at the piano? Trombonist is a limited player who can't really take off, in spite of the ryhthm section heating it up underneath. Alto cat is more interesting, has more resources at his disposal. That's a three star selection.

Disc two will have to wait until tomorrow - thanks for now - great choices!!!

>>>ME:  And thanks for the comments.  Better late.... as they say.  Looking forward to your Disc Two comments as I will be posting answers this coming Tuesday.

Track 5: Almost silverish theme, I think I recognize Cecil Payne already in the theme, so personal is his sound. Yeah, that must be Cecil! I want this! Trumpet has some characteristic licks ...  Arthur Taylor on drums? Or Lex Humphries? Interesting alto. Almost Blue-Note-ish in sound, but I would know if there was another Blue Note date with Cecil. Can't wait to find out. 

WoW! For reasons I can't understand, nailing that baritone has me in awe!

Track 7: First thought was, "this is an unreleased outtake from Tadd Dameron's last album ....", and in a way, that's what it is. Good solos, but shaky ensembles. More rehearsals and one more session, and we would have one more great Dameron album. Why did Alfred Lion abandon that project?????

I'd like to know as well. For those that have this, is the rest of this session worth acquiring the whole disc? I see it's OOP, but hopefully could be easily gotten.

BTW - I still wonder why there weren't more comments on the Dameron AOTW.

ME TOO!!!! Y'all can still comment if you like (and I hope y'all do!)

Okay, here I am.

Sorry for being so late. Most of my stuff is still boxed from the move. I finally set up the stereo on Saturday. I bought a new cabint, so now all my cables are too short. <_<

1 - I liked this very much, actually I loved it. Must here more.

2 - Got this one, no doubt. This was my introduction to Charles McPherson. It drove me crazy looking for more of him on tenor.

A solid date this one is. Track 4 here.

3 - Seems very familiar. Most definitely my kind of stuff, thought maybe Silver, but no way it is. I look forward to knowing.

4 - Liking it, but no clue on the guitarist.

5 - That be Dizzy Reece with Cecil Payne on bari. This is from here. Great!

6 - Got to Basie, no? I mean at the very least we got Freddie Green goin' on. I think. :unsure:

I"m sayin' yes.

7 - Maybe Byrd on trumpet. I'm digging it.

8 - Earl Hines? Fats Waller? No idea, but this is classic stuff. :tup

9 - I have to thank Dmitry for sending me this cd a couple of years ago. Not sure of the tune title (and teh cd is still boxed), but this is Walt Dickerson.

10 - That's Mulligan on baritone, right? I thought I was hearing a little Benny Carter on there, but it's probably Phil Woods or someone else.

11 - More good stuff.

12 - Is McLean one of the altos?

13 - Now here we have Basie. So did I miss 6 or am I missing this one.

The intro of this tune sounds like a crazy "Jumpin' at The Woodside".

14 - No idea.

15 - This is great. Loved it all the way through.

16 - Sweet. I wanted to say Ellington, but I feel that would be waaayyyyy off, so I 'm not gonna.

17 - Booker Ervin, minus the Booker Ervin. ;)

18 - Don't know, but the piano was flat out tearing it up.

A great BFT! :tup

(edited just 'cuz I wanted to)

Track 13 is the second track of this.... er, show.

How's THAT for a coincidence? But I ain't tellin' who the tenors are. You gotta listen for yourself! :beee:  :g

Damn!!!! That is quite a coincidence that this track would be played on that show. But I guess it couldn't be avoided given the show's title. I was hoping to surprise you personally with the answers tomorrow. Thanks however for not revealing in your post who they are.