• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too many to list, but some ECMs come to my mind first:

- Bennie Maupin - Jewel in the Lotus

- Sam Rivers - Contrasts

- Dave Liebman - Lookout farm

In #53 of ECM reissues Bennie Maupin & Dewey Redman, I'd mentioned to y'all that Sam Rivers - Contrasts is one of the entries in a "most wanted ECM albums" poll. I just wanted to add that Dave Liebman - Lookout Farm is another one.

• 3 months later...

Roscoe Mitchell's "Solo Saxophone Concerts" on Sackville.

I think Sackville returned the tapes to Roscoe 'cause they could not remove the tape print through for cd release.

Probably never see a "silvering" of this record.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does that mean the tapes are not usable? What are the prospects of making a master from a mint vinyl copy, can that be done with satisfactory results?

Just curious,

Kevin

the "print" is obvious on the vinyl, just a bit obscured by groove noise.

I was just listening to this today. That "print" sounds like a weird echo. Somewhat annoying. I think it could be fixed by someone that has experience w/ Pro Tools or some other sound editing software. Although it would be a major pain in the ass to clean it up.

I was just listening to this today. That "print" sounds like a weird echo. Somewhat annoying. I think it could be fixed by someone that has experience w/ Pro Tools or some other sound editing software. Although it would be a major pain in the ass to clean it up.

You have no idea. Last week I spent 11.5 hours cleaning up about 15 minutes of music and upon listening to the results, at least one third of it needs to be done again. I have 2 more days booked to correct the problem. All this for stuff available for free download on the "blogs".

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I don't believe this LP has made it to the digital world. Gary Bartz's Ntu Troop - Home!. I would like to obtain a copy of this recording if has been on CD. I searched but I find no reference it has been issue ever on CD.

It has not, I've been waiting on it for years.  Also, the Charles Tolliver All-Stars album.

Edited by felser

Image result for tony coe zeitgeist

Some kind person send me a CD-r of a LP of this a few years back. I was reading about it recently and the writer commented how it could hardly have picked a worse time to be released. Three years earlier and it could have picked up on the student interest in things like this. By 1977 they were pogoing. 

Tony Coe and Alan Hacker are the leaders. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Staying in Japan Denon still owes us CD reissues of some recordings - Reggie Workman Solo and Billy Harper platters come to mind (not to speak that some of the Denon material released on CD is out of print for ages) 

While mentioning Reggie Workman and Billy Harper - the "non Denon" 70's Max Roach 4tet live recordings released in Japan still didn't make it ....

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

Staying in Japan Denon still owes us CD reissues of some recordings - Reggie Workman Solo and Billy Harper platters come to mind (not to speak that some of the Denon material released on CD is out of print for ages) 

While mentioning Reggie Workman and Billy Harper - the "non Denon" 70's Max Roach 4tet live recordings released in Japan still didn't make it ....

Which Billy Harper?  I thought those were all out and that  I owned them!   Some still-prime post-Impulse Archie Shepp still missing.

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

Some of the Mal Waldron LP's recorded in the 70's in Japan - for instance "Tokyo Bound" (Victor), "Reminiscent Suite" (Victor) etc ....

The one he did with Gary Peacock is one I especially wish for.

The Strata-East Jazz Contemporaries - Reasons  in Tonality with George Coleman and Clifford Jordan.  Some good Impulse John Klemmer.  The Impulse Montreux album with Klemmer, Jarrett, Michael White etc.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Which Billy Harper?  I thought those were all out and that  I owned them!   

"Soran Bushi" was out on CD - but I'm not aware of "Knowledge Of Self" .... somehow thought there were three Billy Harper releases on Denon but probably I'm wrong ....

Edited by soulpope

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

"Soran Bushi" was out on CD - but I'm not aware of "Knowledge Of Self" .... somehow thought there were three Billy Harper releases on Denton but probably I'm wrong ....

Never knew 'Knowledge of Self' existed!  Wonder what else I am missing out on! 'Love on the Sudan' is the third Denon LP.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

Never knew 'Knowledge of Self' existed!  Wonder what else I am missing out on! 'Love on the Sudan' is the third Denon LP.

Thnx for the reminder reg "Love On The Sudan" .... my senior moments are obviously increasing .... IMO "Soran Bushi B.H." ist the strongest of these platters and the performance of the title track is nothing short of awe-inspiring ....

Reviewing this thread, some that made it:

Zoot Sims in Paris (had been reissued at time of posting, currently available from Japan)

Sweet Small of Success Soundtrack on Cherry Red

Gigi Gryce Remiiniscin

Randy Weston Destry Rides Again (part of the Universal 1000 Series)

Wellington  Prestidigitator

McGhee Nobody Knows When Down & Out had been issued

Mariano Dodgion Beauties had been reissued before posting & since

Stitt My Mother's Eyes 

Blakey Golden Boy

Bunker at Shelly's Manne Hole

Charles McPherson - Free Bop - Xanadu (with Lou Levy, Peter Sprague, Monty Budwig)

Dolo Coker - Dolo! - Xanadu (with Blue Mitchell, Harold Land, Leroy Vinnegar, Frank Butler)

Teddy Edwards - Feelin's - Muse (with Conte Candoli, Dolo Coker, Ray Brown, Frank Butler)

Jimmy Knepper In L.A. - Disco Mate (Japanese) with Lew tabackin, Roger kellaway, Monty Budwig, Shelly Manne (Sinatra Society reissue)

Jazztet w/John Lewis

Will Universal reissue a massive amount as it did a few years ago, included Pacific Jazz, Coolpix, Roost, Roulette, Liberty titles.