EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/6/2017 at 5:57 AM, JSngry said:

Seriosuly, I think he moved to New Zealand to teach and then hurt his back. Something like that.

His Facebook page says he lives in Melbourne, Australia, with his profession listed as "Retired Jazz pianist/composer". To your point about a back issue, the latest picture, posted in June, shows him seated.

18922702_1043342285769259_69806030350689

On 12/6/2017 at 0:34 AM, BFrank said:

Don't think Cecil McBee's "Compassion" ever made it to CD. It's live at Sweet Basil on Enja, with Chico Freeman, Joe Gardner, Dennis Moorman, Steve McCall and Don Moye

On 12/6/2017 at 2:40 AM, soulpope said:

These both are very good ....

So true!  Whenever I listen to these LPs, I'm amazed that they aren't readily available.

51GLfGCUErL.jpg  31QUVl-pe7L.jpg

Enja needs to make these available again, pronto!!!  

Edited by HutchFan

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Thanks Kevin for alerting me to this Junior Cook Quartet date - I am pretty sure I have the Coleman tunes on an Affinity issue but while the title seems very familiar I can't find the separate Cook date anywhere. He and Mickey Tucker made a nice combination on those Steeplechases so I'm excited that there's more from them to hear.

As mentioned above Dolo! did come out on CD, as did California Hard.

Third Down did not, nor did a solo LP called All Alone (though they clearly should have called it Dolo Solo!).

I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a used copy of the Third Down LP, but shipping costs are such a killer these days.  Now the price is beyond what I am willing to pay, but I'll still keep an eye out.

2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

As mentioned above Dolo! did come out on CD, as did California Hard.

Third Down did not, nor did a solo LP called All Alone (though they clearly should have called it Dolo Solo!).

I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a used copy of the Third Down LP, but shipping costs are such a killer these days.  Now the price is beyond what I am willing to pay, but I'll still keep an eye out.

Funny I just acquired both very recently. The solo disc was $5 but I think I paid $10 for Third Down.  Worthy recordings so now I am sure there'll be another round of Xanadu CDs that will include both.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Funny I just acquired both very recently. The solo disc was $5 but I think I paid $10 for Third Down.  Worthy recordings so now I am sure there'll be another round of Xanadu CDs that will include both.

That would be great if it happens.  I think they slowed down a lot on the reissue front. 

It turns out that a university library has a copy of Third Down, but I don't know if it circulates, and I am not particularly close with any York University staff or students unfortunately...

That Don Joseph Uptown record is still MIA in any digital format.

R-7060383-1432768195-7949.jpeg.jpg

Date: June 2 & 3, 1984
Label: Uptown

Don Joseph (ldr), Al Cohn (ts), Don Joseph (c), Bill Triglia (p), Red Mitchell (b), Joey Baron (d)

a. a-01    Ash Wednesday Blues - 4:54  (Don Joseph)
b. a-02    But Beautiful - 9:15  (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke)
c. a-03    Indian Summer - 6:25  (Victor Herbert, Al Dubin)
d. b-01    Stumbling - 5:14  (Zez Confrey)
e. b-02    It Might As Well Be Spring - 8:54  (Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II)
f. b-03    When Lights Are Low - 5:58  (Benny Carter, Spencer Williams)
All titles on:      Uptown LP 12": UP 27.23 — One Of A Kind   (1985)
Edited by Joe