EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sambrasa said:

The topic here is LPs that have never made it into CD, not "never made it into cheap CD".

Thanks I can read! My comment was a general comment on the ridiculous price of the reissue (and with that, the rarity of this record on cd). 

Edited by Pim

6 hours ago, Pim said:

That is correct. You can get it for only 162 euros on Discogs! 

Understood, LOL, thanks!  I paid for a download from Amazon, $4.98.  Hate doing that, but made an exception for this great album.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if mentioned above, but I don't believe Guy Lafitte's Jazz Quintet (Columbia ‎– FP 1161) has made it to CD.  While it is far too short to be released on its own, it could perhaps be combined with some of the Sax Succes EPs (on Pathé). 

One track from Jazz Quintet may be circulating (Le Chat Qui Dort) but not the other 5, though in fact I am not even sure it is the same take.  The version on Guy Lafitte et Son Quartette Avec Kenny Hagood is a vocal track, and the pianist would be different, etc.  There's no particular reason it would turn up on the Jazz Quintet LP rather than being a different take.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:53 AM, romualdo said:

The Australian Rufus label contains a lot of McGann material/CD releases. His other Emanem LP "Kindred Spirits" has been rereleased via Rufus.

http://www.rufusrecords.com.au/artists/mcgann.html

Somehow I missed this post of yours romualdo. Yeah, thanks, I know those and they're also available via Bandcamp which is great! Your original post got me dig out John Clare's 'Bodgie Dada' book (good fun!). He mentions some releases via the Tall Poppies label. Of course this (the book) was printed in the mid 90s. Did you ever see/get any Jazz from Tall Poppies? They're a great label for Classical music that I used to seek out regularly yet somehow I missed any Jazz, aussie or otherwise. 

Edited by Marzz

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if any one has mentioned these before, but I was listening to some Alberta Hunter and got to thinking about her 1970's albums on Columbia.  I think only Amtrak Blues and the soundtrack album to Remember My Name have ever been reissued on CD.  I don't think either The Glory of or Look For The Silver Lining have ever been reissued on CD (maybe in Japan?)  You would think Sony could knock out a 4 disc Complete Columbia Albums Collection for Ms. Hunter.  The albums are very good and do deserve to be preserved.

• 2 weeks later...

Mongo Santamaria's albums for Columbia have been poorly served in the CD area.  Columbia put out a couple of compilation CDs, but not much else.  I don't know if his albums sold a lot back in the 60's, but if you ever find any of those albums in a used record shop, it's obvious they sure got played a lot.  I see a few of these albums are now available on Amazon as "on demand" CDRs, but it sure would be nice to have a Complete Columbia Albums Collection for Mongo Santamaria.  It would be a shame for music like this --  perfect music for sipping something cool in the shade on a warm summer afternoon -- to be lost and forgotten.  (Warning -- Do not play this video if you are adamantly opposed to jazz flute.  There's a lot of it here.)

you get a LOT of Hubert Laws (and on tenor!) and a good amount of Sonny fortune on those Mongo records, but you also get some pretty cheesy concpets too (not always, though!). Consistently great playing in the service of an ignoble concept, just the type of thing that requires the nichiest of niche marketers to do just right. But if they did it just right, at just the right price, I could go in for it.

Hubert Laws was a helluva tenor player (big fat, soulful Texas sound and mucho muy fluente). As far as I can tell, this stuff is the most and best evidence of that.

Oh, I get the "cheesy concepts" part of the deal.  More than a few of the tracks I have sampled online have a very "dated" quality about them.  Sometimes even the dated or cheesy tracks have their own charm, but there is always a danceable beat.  I'm sure a complete albums collection might be overkill, but if they could at least put out some of the strongest albums, maybe 2 LPs on 1 CD,

Justicia para Mongo!

CBS never even did one of those 2-CD "Essential" sets on Santamaria, which could have fit the bill nicely.  IIRC, good Hubert Laws tenor playing on the superior bonus cuts on the Solomon Ilori - African High Life CD on Blue Note.

I listen to those records and have images of Mongo and the guys playing at some exclusive party up in some penthouse in NYC, all tuxed out and grooving politely, quietly, yet VERY strongy, and one fatfuck pigguest is asking the equally fatfuck pighost who this band is and the host says Mahngo Santamareer in a gravelly voice through his chomping cigar, found them through this Sheller kid's uncle, he gave me a deal, still more than I wanted to pay, but hey, you gotta pay for the best, right?. At the end of the night, everybody gets paid, the system works after all.

Of course, that probably never happened, but unless you or I were there, we can't know for sure that it didn't.

There have been Japanese CD issues of El Bravo, La Bamba and El Pussy Cat. But they all deserve a reissue, it was a good band. The best is the Village Gate live album with an amazing piccolo solo by Hubert Laws involving some circular breathing that's beyond belief.

• 5 months later...