EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

What about those 6 or 7 mid-‘70’s Ahmad Jamal albums on 20th Century Fox?  Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, filled with the trappings of the period, probably pretty dated at this point, but I always enjoyed them. (The only thing from that period that seems to have been out is that “Oil Can Harry’s,” which was available at one point.)

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, DMP said:

What about those 6 or 7 mid-‘70’s Ahmad Jamal albums on 20th Century Fox?  Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, filled with the trappings of the period, probably pretty dated at this point, but I always enjoyed them. (The only thing from that period that seems to have been out is that “Oil Can Harry’s,” which was available at one point.)

The albums from the end o his Argo/Cadet run need CD release also, especially "Extensions".  I do like that "Oil Can Harry's" album.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, DMP said:

1 hour ago, felser said:

The albums from the end o his Argo/Cadet run need CD release also, especially "Extensions".  I do like that "Oil Can Harry's" album.

I've never heard any of those albums, but when I think of Jamal's 20th Century Fox LPs, one album cover always comes to mind.  And it makes me cringe more than just a little bit:

R-1812857-1585851592-3594.jpeg.jpg

It's always struck me as being "tone deaf" to some old racist stereotypes.  

Or am I reading too much into it? 

2 hours ago, felser said:

"Naked City Theme" and "Extensions" were combined on a CD from the Spanish Jazzbeat label. OOP and hard to find. Discogs doesn't list it.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-1812857-1585851592-3594.jpeg.jpg

It's always struck me as being "tone deaf" to some old racist stereotypes.  

Or am I reading too much into it? 

Maybe not reading enough to it, because it looks like he's "stepping out" with a (maybe?) white chick...in which case who's having what dream?

The key to the whole thing looks like it might be down there in the lower left corner. I've looked at that image often enough to be able to say with certainty that I have no idea in hell what it actually is other than some people doing something, at least one or two of which appear to be female forms with really nice asses. And the all look ,ike they might be underground, like, literally.

The illustration is by Traci Vanola, who has a pretty interesting story and output: https://www.tricivenola.com/

The overall art direction is by Jamico, which...hell if I know who or what that is was was. Although...if there's two dots, there''s a line, and if there's three, there's a place, right?

So here's the second dot:

61GFNPJP7IL._SL1231_.jpg

61oufSDLy5L._SL1231_.jpg

And here, then is your plane:

614FeWH4a5L._SL1200_.jpg

61LeP5g%2BsfL._SL1200_.jpg

Tried to see if Jack L Levy & Michael Levy were the same person, but...ain't got THAT much time right now. They both show up on 20th Century Records, though.

Didn't know any of this beforehand, btw, just got curious and stepped out with the internet!

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Maybe not reading enough to it, because it looks like he's "stepping out" with a (maybe?) white chick...in which case who's having what dream?

Maybe so.

Don't mean to bag on Jamal one bit.  ... The image has just always given me a touch of the heebie jeebies. But perhaps I'm just not attuned to its subtleties. 

I'm not sure if there are any subtleties...it's not well enough done to figure that out one way or another.. that's the bigger offense, imo.

What's always given me the heebie-jeebies is that suit, period. Just because it was the 70s, that's no excuse.

Some albums still not on CD:

Jack DeJohnette--Untitled (ECM)

James Newton--Paseo Del Mar (India Navigation). It is my favorite James Newton album

Sun Ra--Unity (Horo). His other two Horo albums have had CD and digital download releases, but this excellent live album has not. 

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

Some albums still not on CD:

Jack DeJohnette--Untitled (ECM)

James Newton--Paseo Del Mar (India Navigation). It is my favorite James Newton album

Sun Ra--Unity (Horo). His other two Horo albums have had CD and digital download releases, but this excellent live album has not. 

A lot of really good India Navigation and Horo albums that never made it to CD, and ownership of those catalogs seems to be in flux (or worse). 

1 hour ago, felser said:

A lot of really good India Navigation and Horo albums that never made it to CD, and ownership of those catalogs seems to be in flux (or worse). 

There's a Gil Evans Lp on Horo that's never been on cd.  Also I think the two Gil at Royal Albert Hall: one on RCA and one on an English label.  I learned how to digitze Lps just so I could digitize them and put the cuts in correct order. 

As far as I know the son (?) of Aldo Sinesio still owns the catalog, was planning to reissue things but that looks like it fell apart. Considering the depth of the catalog it is surprising to me that nothing has been really reissued. Two proposed Horo albums have been or are going to be issued: Milo Fine (Emanem) and Dave Burrell/Sam Woodyard (NoBusiness). 

But those never came out in the first place, and I gather that the tapes came from the artists.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

On Mole Jazz’s label - 2nd LP from the Festival Hall. They also put out a 1983 LP from the ‘British Orchestra’ that I don’t recall seeing on CD.

Yes. And for some reason I keep saying Royal Albert Hall.  I've been to both and should know the difference. I've got a cd of the London Orchestra on the Arts Association Label. At least I presume it's the same concert: March 14, 1983. 

Edited by medjuck

1 minute ago, medjuck said:

Yes. And for some reason I keep saying Royal Albert Hall.  I've been to both and should know the difference. 

Both great venues, of course. I have the feeling that that other Mole LP was recorded in Bradford at St George’s Hall but will have to check. I saw that band same tour at Ronnie Scotts.

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Both great venues, of course. I have the feeling that that other Mole LP was recorded in Bradford at St George’s Hall but will have to check. I saw that band same tour at Ronnie Scotts.

Yes: St. George's Hall.