• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 06/04/2020 at 1:43 PM, Hot Ptah said:

Some albums still not on CD:

Jack DeJohnette--Untitled (ECM)

James Newton--Paseo Del Mar (India Navigation). It is my favorite James Newton album

Sun Ra--Unity (Horo). His other two Horo albums have had CD and digital download releases, but this excellent live album has not. 

The Sun Ra lp has just been released on a (legit) download. 

https://sunramusic.bandcamp.com/album/unity-live-at-storyville-nyc-oct-1977

There is so much obscure stuff that still has not made it to cd but what about the following mainstream-ish Verve/Mercury-titles:

Jimmy Smith - Monster

Cannonball Adderley - In the Land of HiFi

Cal Tjader - Warm Wave

Jerome Richardson - Groove Merchant 

All these soId pretty well on Vinyl and I do not understand what has kept the Japanese from reissuing them. Or the Andorrans.

34 minutes ago, Mark13 said:

There is so much obscure stuff that still has not made it to cd but what about the following mainstream-ish Verve/Mercury-titles:

Jimmy Smith - Monster

Cannonball Adderley - In the Land of HiFi

Cal Tjader - Warm Wave

Jerome Richardson - Groove Merchant 

All these soId pretty well on Vinyl and I do not understand what has kept the Japanese from reissuing them. Or the Andorrans.

Very surprised by the Cannonball and Smith lps ...!

11 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

It appears that at least some of the Adderley did come out on cd in the early days; there's a disc on ebay at the moment:

Label :    EDITIONS ATLAS                FRANCE

Serial Number:  CD2049

Maybe only part of it?  The other tunes look like they are from a Paul Chambers VeeJay date with Cannonball date if memory serves ...

Edited by Eric

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Funny Discogs has it just with Tommy Turrentine added, which made me very curious about this one.  Knowing its a much bigger group ... I'm curious still, but maybe a little less.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned it first though - I haven't spun the Emarcy CDs in ages.

Browsing through this thread, it is interesting to note that a number of the albums listed have actually been issued on CD since. These days, maybe we should have a new thread for CDs not available for streaming... 

Anyway, these are albums that come to mind as not having been out in a digital format:

Gary McFarland 'Profiles' (Impulse, 1966) 

R-719459-1442672310-7567.jpeg.jpg

Cal Tjader 'Hip Vibrations' (Verve, 1967) 

R-2381449-1319730898.jpeg.jpg

Cal Tjader 'Along Comes Cal' (Verve, 1967)

R-1273119-1449479761-6581.jpeg.jpg

Shelly Manne 'Outside' (Contemporary,1970) 

R-2445856-1284482313.jpeg.jpg

Martial Solal 'Trio' (Columbia, 1965) 

R-5936366-1576532310-6988.jpeg.jpg

Martial Solal 'Son 66' (Columbia,1966) 

R-3352058-1326966708.jpeg.jpg

Martial Solal 'En direct du Blue Note' (Columbia, 1966): also release as 'On Home Ground' on Milestone

R-8273213-1458407257-7549.jpeg.jpg

... and then some ten Clare Fisher albums on Revelation (indeed most or even all of the Revelation catalog) 

2 hours ago, bresna said:

"Warm Wave" is only 28 minutes long. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

When Tjader biographer S. Duncan Reid talked to Tjader's children about Verve reissues, they said they had inquired but the label wasn't interested. Only half of Tjader's Verve LPs were reissued on CD by the label, another two (In A Latin Bag & Saturday Night /Sunday Night At The Blackhawk) by Cherry Red in the UK. One only in Japan (The Prophet). Three (Warm Wave, Along Comes Cal, Hip Vibrations) never were on CD in complete form, only single tracks on compilations.

Tjader was positive about Warm Wave. He would have loved to record an all ballad LP with the rhythm section, but that never materialized. If the session tapes are still there they could release the album with and without the overdubs on one CD, that would be close to fulfilling Cal's dream.

42 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Gary McFarland 'Profiles' (Impulse, 1966) 

R-719459-1442672310-7567.jpeg.jpg

That's a killer album! But I'm afraid the tapes are lost. There even is a film of this concert. Some snippets were on the McFarland documentary released a few years ago. 

34 minutes ago, soulpope said:

All three excellent indeed  ....

Agree! 

5 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

When Tjader biographer S. Duncan Reid talked to Tjader's children about Verve reissues, they said they had inquired but the label wasn't interested. Only half of Tjader's Verve LPs were reissued on CD by the label, another two (In A Latin Bag & Saturday Night /Sunday Night At The Blackhawk) by Cherry Red in the UK. One only in Japan (The Prophet). Three (Warm Wave, Along Comes Cal, Hip Vibrations) never were on CD in complete form, only single tracks on compilations.

Tjader was positive about Warm Wave. He would have loved to record an all ballad LP with the rhythm section, but that never materialized. If the session tapes are still there they could release the album with and without the overdubs on one CD, that would be close to fulfilling Cal's dream.

That's a killer album! But I'm afraid the tapes are lost. There even is a film of this concert. Some snippets were on the McFarland documentary released a few years ago. 

33 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I would really have loved to see the whole McFarland concert!

I've only recently begun to discover Tjader. Can't believe how I could have dismissed him for so many years! I guess I thought he was kinda into the easy listening "fake" latin genre. I was mistaken...

The albums above are also interesting in that they are among very few sideman appearances by Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock that have not been reissued on CD. 

51 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Shelly Manne 'Outside' (Contemporary,1970) 

R-2445856-1284482313.jpeg.jpg

Oh yes! I just got that one a few months ago and IMMEDIATELY began waxing rhapsodic about it. Lesser albums by more of less the same band have made it to CD, which is a real distortion of what Manne could do in this type bag.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

... and then some ten Clare Fisher albums on Revelation (indeed most or even all of the Revelation catalog) 

Somebody really needs to reissue those solo piano recordings -- especially The State of His Art and Jazz Song.  They're extraordinary records.

Edited by HutchFan

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Somebody really needs to reissue those solo piano recordings -- especially The State of His Art and Jazz Song.  They're extraordinary records.

I once asked Jonathan Horwich, when he was somewhat active on this forum, whether he still had the rights to the Revelation material, but I didn't get a response (though he was helpful in another matter).