• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.10.2020 at 11:08 PM, Daniel A said:

Re Cal Tjader

I've only recently begun to discover Tjader. Can't believe how I could have dismissed him for so many years! I guess I thought he was kinda into the easy listening "fake" latin genre. I was mistaken...

39962150tx.jpg

As a West Coast fan I have several Fantasy albums with Cal Tjader. It was pure luck that I stumbled recently over a 10 CD box available at german 2001 for small money.

It contains 20 complete albums. Even considering that I have now a few duplicates nevertheless this box is worth it. Here are the listed album titles

- Tjader Plays Jazz

- Tjader Plays Mambo

-Mambo With Tjader

- The Dave Brubeck Trio with Cal Tjader

- Cal Tjader Quartet -

- Brubeck / Tjader - The Dave Brubeck Trio

- Latin Kick

- Cal Tjader Goes Latin -

- San Francisco Moods

- West Side Story

- Concert By The Sea Vol I

- Concert By The Sea Vol II

- Concert On Campus

- Demasado Caliente

- Cal Tjader plays - Mary Stalling sings

- The Cal Tjader - Stan Getz  Sextet

- Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen

- Cal Tjader / Anita O'Day

- Latino

- Cal Tjader plays the contemporary Music of Mexico & Brazil

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 10:35 AM, jazzcorner said:

39962150tx.jpg

As a West Coast fan I have several Fantasy albums with Cal Tjader. It was pure luck that I stumbled recently over a 10 CD box available at german 2001 for small money.

It contains 20 complete albums. Even considering that I have now a few duplicates nevertheless this box is worth it. Here are the listed album titles

- Tjader Plays Jazz

- Tjader Plays Mambo

-Mambo With Tjader

- The Dave Brubeck Trio with Cal Tjader

- Cal Tjader Quartet -

- Brubeck / Tjader - The Dave Brubeck Trio

- Latin Kick

- Cal Tjader Goes Latin -

- San Francisco Moods

- West Side Story

- Concert By The Sea Vol I

- Concert By The Sea Vol II

- Concert On Campus

- Demasado Caliente

- Cal Tjader plays - Mary Stalling sings

- The Cal Tjader - Stan Getz  Sextet

- Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen

- Cal Tjader / Anita O'Day

- Latino

- Cal Tjader plays the contemporary Music of Mexico & Brazil

I get emails from oldies.com about those 10-CD sets weekly.  How is the sound?  Are we talking cheap junk here?

has this been mentioned previously?

Not sure if this 1973 Montreux Jazz Festival recording has ever existed in the digital (CD) realm - Discogs lists no CD releases

Trio with Bob Cranshaw & Kenny Clarke. Hampton plays a lot of electric piano, maybe thats why it's been passed over?

Hawes Playin' In The Yard.jpg

Edited by romualdo

10 hours ago, romualdo said:

has this been mentioned previously?

Not sure if this 1973 Montreux Jazz Festival recording has ever existed in the digital (CD) realm - Discogs lists no CD releases

Trio with Bob Cranshaw & Kenny Clarke. Hampton plays a lot of electric piano, maybe thats why it's been passed over?

Hawes Playin' In The Yard.jpg

This LP was paired with NORTHERN WINDOWS on this Fantasy 2fer: https://www.discogs.com/Hampton-Hawes-Northern-Windows-Plus/release/7440522

On 9.12.2020 at 5:09 PM, GA Russell said:

I get emails from oldies.com about those 10-CD sets weekly.  How is the sound?  Are we talking cheap junk here?

This box does not contain anything that wasn't previously released on OJC or Verve CDs. Seems to be copied from these, sound is slighly inferior to them. But if you do not have any of it, it is a great bargain. I bought it for playing in the car.

According to US law it shouldn't be sold there. Cardboard slipcases, no liner notes, partly wrong credits (as on the original issues).

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This box does not contain anything that wasn't previously released on OJC or Verve CDs. Seems to be copied from these, sound is slighly inferior to them. But if you do not have any of it, it is a great bargain. I bought it for playing in the car.

According to US law it shouldn't be sold there. Cardboard slipcases, no liner notes, partly wrong credits (as on the original issues).

Thanks, Mike!

I wonder why CDs taken from CDs don't sound exactly like the originals.  Isn't that what the industry was afraid of?

13 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

No complaints from my side.

Have also  the 10CD box with Horace Silver.

Thanks, jc!

• 1 month later...

Pete La Roca’s ‘Turkish Woman at a Bath’

I know this has been released on cd but as far as I know never in a proper (or legit) way or did it? Anyway it’s up for release in March:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/YZMS-1055

not a lot of details yet but Tokuma mostly does a fine job in remastering. It has my interest.

Edited by Pim

15 minutes ago, Pim said:

I know this has been released on cd but as far as I know never in a proper (or legit) way or did it? Anyway it’s up for release in March:

not a lot of details yet but Tokuma mostly does a fine job in remastering. It has my interest.

Ironically, I just ordered a used LP of Turkish Women (but part of a bigger order so shipping cost wasn't really a factor).

Edited by ejp626

1 hour ago, Pim said:

I would expect that that 32 Jazz CD reissue in 1997 was legit.   Unless that had something to do with Muse having released it under Chick Corea's name as "Bliss" without proper clearance (thought I read that somewhere), and 32 Jazz put it out as part of their Muse rights purchase.  Really interesting album, regardless.   And a chance to hear John Gilmore (and Corea, for that matter) in a very different setting.

1 minute ago, felser said:

I would expect that that 32 Jazz CD reissue in 1997 was legit.   Unless that had something to do with Muse having released it under Chick Corea's name as "Bliss" without proper clearance (thought I read that somewhere), and 32 Jazz put it out as part of their Muse rights purchase.  Really interesting album, regardless.   And a chance to hear John Gilmore (and Corea, for that matter) in a very different setting.

I think I heard Pete LaRoca sued Muse for releasing that under Coreas name and with success. I assumed that 32 jazz indeed reissued it from their rights on the Muse catalog. 

2 minutes ago, Pim said:

I think I heard Pete LaRoca sued Muse for releasing that under Coreas name and with success. I assumed that 32 jazz indeed reissued it from their rights on the Muse catalog. 

This of course puts us into Alan Douglas territory, which is always tough sledding from an ethical standpoint.