LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

23 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Dave Brubeck told me that he had no interest in the reissue of The Last Time We Saw Paris or Jackpot! Live in Las Vegas. I seem to recall that he had bad memories of Paul Desmond's behavior during that European tour, while the sound of the new Baldwin baby grand on the Las Vegas LP was the pits, the piano couldn't hold a decent pitch.

Jackpot has been released on CD by the Japanese (SICJ-16). "Paris" and "Compadres" are the 2 Columbia LPs that have not been released on CD.

23 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Dave Brubeck told me that he had no interest in the reissue of The Last Time We Saw Paris or Jackpot! Live in Las Vegas. I seem to recall that he had bad memories of Paul Desmond's behavior during that European tour, while the sound of the new Baldwin baby grand on the Las Vegas LP was the pits, the piano couldn't hold a decent pitch.

Jackpot has been released on CD by the Japanese (SICJ-16). "Paris" and "Compadres" are the 2 Columbia LPs that have not been released on CD.

Edited by Stonewall15
Additional information.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

I'm aware of the Japanese CD, as I own it. Evidently any ability to block the reissue of that album must have expired with him, though I don't know how much power any artist has to block Japanese reissues.

Not that I have any contributions to make here, but the other day I was searching for an album called Swing Guitars on Norgran with Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel and Oscar Moore and I found out that I believe it never has had a CD release. Though I saw it's on Qobuz. By the way, the session or part of it, is on the Farlow Mosaic.

Edited by Bluesnik
Mosaic info added

1 hour ago, Bluesnik said:

Not that I have any contributions to make here, but the other day I was searching for an album called Swing Guitars on Norgran with Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel and Oscar Moore and I found out that I believe it never has had a CD release. Though I saw it's on Qobuz. By the way, the session or part of it, is on the Farlow Mosaic.

Verve released a great album called "The Great Guitars of Jazz" featuring cuts by Farlow, Kessel,and Moore., as well as Howard Roberts, Wes and Herb Ellis and Kenny Burrell.

I don't think that made it to CD, at least I've never seen it.

23 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

The Lord Discography does not show any listing for Farlow, Kessel and Moore together. The Farlow Mosaic does not have any session from the 3 musicians, as well.   

41 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

No, there is only the Farlow part there. I believe.

The four Farlow cuts are also on all the 12" releases of the originally 10" "The Tal Farlow Album". the four 12" releases are:

Norgran MGN in 1955

Verve MGV-8124 (1957)

Verve V-8124 (1961)

Columbia 33CX 10051 (UK)

The CD release of the four Farlow tracks (besides the Mosaic release) was:

"The Tal Farlow Album" Verve POCJ-2572 [Japan 1999]

One of the Oscar Moore cuts, "A Foggy Day" can be found on The great Guitars of Jazz record I mentioned before. It's a great rendition.

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

The CD release of the four Farlow tracks (besides the Mosaic release) was:

"The Tal Farlow Album" Verve POCJ-2572 [Japan 1999]

Actually it's POCJ-2752. And that material was reissued on cd in Japan again in 2012 as UCCV-0408, and as UCCU-41002 in 2021.

Edited by jazzbo

20 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This is the LP in question:

NjAyNC5qcGVn.jpeg

Four tracks each - the four Farlow tracks were included in the Mosaic box set..

Cannot find any CD reissue of the others, but they were included in a 4 LP box set by Verve in Japan:

ZWc.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/9732791-Various-The-Verve-Collectors-Item

Lord discography under title "Swing Guitars" lists the 4 songs by the three artists. They did not play together, just grouped for this LP (MGV-8124 or MGN-1033). The Tal Farlow Mosaic does have the 4 songs on disc III, as well as on the Verve CD "Tal Farlow Album". 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the thread, but one that still boggles my mind is Jimmy Lyons - Other Afternoons. I would love to hear this remastered on CD. Does anyone know why this has never been done, or what the status of the original tapes might be? It was reissued on LP only during the early 2000s. I wonder if this is something Corbett would be able to get at.

43 minutes ago, colinmce said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the thread, but one that still boggles my mind is Jimmy Lyons - Other Afternoons. I would love to hear this remastered on CD. Does anyone know why this has never been done, or what the status of the original tapes might be? It was reissued on LP only during the early 2000s. I wonder if this is something Corbett would be able to get at.

There are some strange gaps in CD reissues of the BYG Actuel catalog, and that's a big one.