LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Several albums on UA and MetroJazz have yet to make it to CDs. Not to speak of the Horo, BeeHive and others catalogue...

Some French vinyls I'm still waiting for a CD appearance:

- Georges Arvanitas 'Soul Jazz' (Columbia)

- Marion Brown 'Le Temps Fou' (Polydor)

- Nathan Davis Quartet 'Jazz Concert' (Edici)

- Steve Lacy 'Lapis' (Saravah)

- François Tusques 'Le Nouveau Jazz' (Mouloudji)

- Rene Urtreger Trio (Versailles)

- Maurice Vander 'Du Cote de Chez Swing' (Night and Day)

also all the splendid albums Bernard Peiffer recorded for Decca in the USA!

This was included in a 3 disc set titled Scratching the Seventies. Others included are Scraps, Dreams, Roba and The Owl.

Didn't realize the set included all the music from the Saravah albums. Starting to search around for a copy!

Thanks for showing the right direction! Once more...

This was included in a 3 disc set titled Scratching the Seventies. Others included are Scraps, Dreams, Roba and The Owl.

Didn't realize the set included all the music from the Saravah albums. Starting to search around for a copy!

Dusty Groove carries it for $25. They're temporarily out of stock right now, though.

These lps?  Or just Uptown tapes in general?  (He's done some over the last few years. . . . )

I think he was referring to these LP's, but I assume that Rudy's price is now the same across the board.

I also understand that Rudy's master tapes often to not have the tones at the beginning from which one can set levels, making it difficult for anyone but himself to do the remaster.

Dusty Groove carries it for $25. They're temporarily out of stock right now, though.

Also available on emusic...

I'd second Brownie's rec of Le Temps Fou and the Arvanitas quintet "Soul Jazz." The Dixon RCA would be nice, but it will never happen - that record has been buried since its release!

Marzette Watts on Savoy would be nice - just so I could listen to the fucker again!

Also, Ric Colbeck on Fontana - this could be a veritable 'hit' if it were reissued. Probably one of my most favorite 'inside-outside' recordings... that, and the Dizzy Reece on Futura, which could also use a sprucing up and reissuing.

I'd like to learn a lot more about the early Japanese free scene, and a lot of those recordings don't seem to be available on CD and many are super-rare in the preferred format, so...

Carmen McRae: At the Great American Music Hall - Blue Note

"Carmen McRae has always shined on stage, and this fine account of her 1976 three-night stand at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco proves the point. Couched in that stellar Blue Note sound, McRae ranges far and wide on a set of standards. And McRae not only spices things up with an impressive reading of the bossa nova standard "Dindi," but she even goes completely out of her expected domain with a version of the Alice Cooper ballad "Only Woman Bleed" -- interesting, to say the least. Surprisingly, though, she turns this FM hit into one of the most effective performances here. The whole recording is remarkable, for that matter. And this, no doubt, can be traced to the McRae's choice of backing, which includes the venerable Dizzy Gillespie on trumpet and future drumming heavyweight Joey Baron. A must for McRae fans."

CarmenBubbas.jpg

The Dixon RCA would be nice, but it will never happen - that record has been buried since its release!

I still remember Bill Dixon teenage son's delight at finding the album when he too a look at my vinyls. 'Look Dad, he's got your record!' he shouted to his father who visited my place with friends including Steve Horenstein when he first came to Paris. This must have been in 1970.

The Dixon RCA would be nice, but it will never happen - that record has been buried since its release!

I still remember Bill Dixon teenage son's delight at finding the album when he too a look at my vinyls. 'Look Dad, he's got your record!' he shouted to his father who visited my place with friends including Steve Horenstein when he first came to Paris. This must have been in 1970.

Nice, Brownie!! :tup

Like I said before, is there an LP you do not have??

.....This is about all I can contribute to this thread as I have no idea what's been out on CD. :lol: Was there a format change??????? :crazy:

Like I said before, is there an LP you do not have??

There are tons of vinyls I just do not want to get. My buying days are over (or almost).

My vinyl want list has thinned over the years. There are still a couple of albums that did not make it to CD that I am still looking for. Found one of those (a UA issue) but it was way overpriced. Also I want the vinyls not the CDR copies I have been offered by friends here!

Michael Fitzgeral wrote:

And then, the elation turned to uncomfortable melancholy when he realized his dad's LP was still sealed in its shrink wrap?

Mike 

A bad habit I had at the time was tearing up shrinkwraps as soon as I bought albums. So it was - and remains - unsealed. Still looks very shiny except for a nearly invisible trace of ringwear that mixes with Bill Dixon's hair on top of the closeup that adorns the cover!

Other vinyls that should be out on CD, both from Randy Weston:

- 'Destry Rides Again' (another UA) that Weston did not want included on his Mosaic Select.

- Randy Weston/Lem Winchester 'New Faces at Newport' (MetroJazz)