LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

What's the deal about that "Destry" album? From M.C.'s comment (of course sympathetic with Weston), one could think it's as bad as that Jackie Mac Sphinx thing being discussed elsewhere...

Now how about some of those Noah Howard's? "Berlin Concert", the Freedom album... Mingus' UCLA concert... and I think there's more Weston around that never was on CD (I dimly remember once passing up a solo piano LP on some italian label, probably from between 77 and 80, but I have no idea about the title or the name of the label, which was unknown to me, anyway).

I think Weston's CTI album has been out on CD in Japan... I have the LP, and I think it would be good enough to be done over here (or rather, over the pond...), too!

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And then, thinking Europe... I assume the FMP vaults are chock full with stuff never on CD... (thanks to the Atavistic UMS some of it sees the light again, though, but there are items on FMP that are so obscure that even UMS seems to think they're impossible to sell... one example would be the duo LP "und" of Radu Malfatti and Stephan Wittwer... thankfully I have a CDR done from Wittwer's own copy, which he lent... don't tell him :w )

And then Hat... I am not sure, probably much has been out in the jewel case days, but those are so hard to find in many cases, too.

Yes, the Weston "Blue Moses" CTI has been out in Japan on cd. But if you have the lp, the lp actually sounds a bit better in my opinion.

As for "Destry Rides Again," I think that Randy himself expressed his willingness to supress cd issue, and the album was a "record company idea" that did not incorporate any Weston compositions. I like it though; great 'bone work and arrangements and Weston and crew TRANSFORM the material. I'd love to see a reissue; I think it will be a long time though. . . .

... and I think there's more Weston around that never was on CD (I dimly remember once passing up a solo piano LP on some italian label, probably from between 77 and 80, but I have no idea about the title or the name of the label, which was unknown to me, anyway).

Weston recorded several solo piano LPs for various (very) small French and Italian labels - I have never seen most of them. If you want I could send you details. Enough material for a Mosaic Select, although there are many repeat performances.

"I also understand that Rudy's master tapes often to not have the tones at the beginning from which one can set levels, making it difficult for anyone but himself to do the remaster."

"If so I consider this egocentric and unprofessional! Does he think he will live forever?"

This is silly.

Any half way competent engineer knows very well how to check levels without 'test tones', which always seemed to me to be something primarily left for the lazy.

If indeed Rudy does not leave 'test tones', perhaps it is to force subsequent engineers to actually LISTEN TO THE TAPE - believe me, an all-too novel concept for many today who aren't even competent to clean Rudy's boots. If that is indeed the case - much more likely than the obviously impossible notion to force remastering to come to him, he is actually doing a great service to music reproduction.

Any engineer who can't master without test tones is simply incompetent.

Ted Curson - Urge (Fontana), a smoking 1966 quartet date w/Booker Ervin at his most startling, Jimmy Woode, and Edgar Bateman. Heard it for the first time last night, and whew...

Kinda reminds me of Complete Communion and Mingus occupying the same space simultaneously. Needs to be out on CD.

A bad habit I had at the time was tearing up shrinkwraps as soon as I bought albums. So it was - and remains - unsealed. Still looks very shiny except for a nearly invisible trace of ringwear that mixes with Bill Dixon's hair on top of the closeup that adorns the cover!

Yeah, I thought mine was ringworn at first until I realized it was the lighting on the cover photo. Wish I didn't have a cut corner on the jacket, though - but I guess most were relegated to the cut-out bin.

There is a nice-looking photo of Dixon and his son on the French RCA reissue - did you take that photo, Brownie?

And I was at one point corrected that Urge is or was indeed on a Japanese CD - but it's not as easily available as it should be. Ervin's playing definitely shows the Ayler influence - what a heavy date!

There is a nice-looking photo of Dixon and his son on the French RCA reissue - did you take that photo, Brownie?

Not me. I was a part-time photographer! Probably either Philippe Gras, or Horace, or Jacques Bisceglia. Those were full time photographers interested in freejazz.

Several Vanguard, Mercury, Riverside and Pacific Jazz LPs:

Dave Burns - Dave Burns - Vanguard

Dave Burns - Warming Up - Vanguard

Bill English - Bill English - Vanguard

Billy Mitchell - A Little Juicy - Mercury

Ron Jefferson - Love Lifted Me - Pacific Jazz

Lennie McBrowne - Lennie McBrowne & the Four Souls - Pacific Jazz

Lennie McBrowne - Eastern Lights - Riverside

Lennie McBrowne - Lennie McBrowne & the Four Souls - Pacific Jazz

That would be a good one. Perhaps Jerry surfs this site and will make a note of it? Mosaic could do a nice little PJ Select with 5 or 6 McCanns to work with. :cool:

Kevin Bresnahan Aug 3 2005, 10:02 AM Post #32

Shit, I missed this thread!

I just got off the phone with Mosaic where I was calling to let them know that they might want to re-think their decision to do that upcoming Monk LP on 200 gram vinyl when I got to talking with a new voice. It turns out it was Jerry Roche.

He pointed me out to his website and I was floored. I was told this was happening but I had a "gag order" until it was finalized. I guess it got finalized.

Jerry is a really nice guy. We got talking and he talked about some other titles he's working on, including both Herb Geller dates from Jubilee on 1 Disc as well as Roy Ayers' "West Coast Vibe". It sounds like he's gonna go for most of the PJ material.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

There are quite a few Xanadu LPs that have never made it to CD. Here are a few of them:

Dolo Coker - Dolo (with Blue Mitchell ,Harold Land,Leroy Vinnegar, Frank Butler)

Sam Noto - Notes To You (w. Joe Romano, Ronnie Cuber and Jimmy Rowles,Sam Jones,Freddie Waits)

Sam Noto - Act One (w. Joe Romano, Barry Harris, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins)

There are quite a few Xanadu LPs that have never made it to CD. Here are a few of them:

Dolo Coker - Dolo  (with Blue Mitchell ,Harold Land,Leroy Vinnegar, Frank Butler)

Sam Noto - Notes To You  (w. Joe Romano, Ronnie Cuber and Jimmy Rowles,Sam Jones,Freddie Waits)

Sam Noto - Act One  (w. Joe Romano, Barry Harris, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins)

I love Act One with Joe Romano but I never knew about "Notes To You".

Joe Romano & James Moody:

12.jpg

Sides from my youth:

Maynard Ferguson MF Horn 3&4 "Live at Jimmy's" early '70s with Bruce Johnstone and Ferdinand Povel in the sax section and Bob Summers playing some nice trumpet solos.

A couple of baritone sax sides:

Nick Brignola and Pepper Adams, "Baritone Madness"

Brignola, Ronnie Cuber and Cecil Payne, "Burn Brigade"

--Glenn

Guest akanalog

Speaking of Vanguard, I don't believe that Larry Coryell's two Vanguard albums with Steve Marcus have been released on CD - Offering and The Great Escape.

these have both been released on CD. i have them both. offering is very nice, but the great escape isn't so good, IMO. HOWEVER-fairyland has never been released. that deserved to be out on CD-a live trio with pretty purdie and chuck rainey.