LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roscoe Mitchell's "Solo Saxophone Concerts" on Sackville.

I think Sackville returned the tapes to Roscoe 'cause they could not remove the tape print through for cd release.

Probably never see a "silvering" of this record.

Does that mean the tapes are not usable? What are the prospects of making a master from a mint vinyl copy, can that be done with satisfactory results?

Just curious,

Kevin

Forgot I have an LP search list on my hard drive:

Landmark LLP-502 Lateef, Yusef In Nigeria

Muse MR 5052 Hayes, Louis Breath of Life

The Landmark LP has been reissued on YAL, Dr. Lateef's own label.

Re: the Louis Hayes one, I think it has been reissued on a 32Jazz CD (OOP, of course).

Luca

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

What about this one?

Impulse A 9137 The College Concert of Pee Wee Russell and Henry 'Red' Allen

Henry "Red" Allen (tp, vo -1/3,5,6) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Steve Kuhn (p) Charlie Haden (b) Marty Morell (d)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, October 29, 1966

1. 90708 Blue Monk

2. 90709 I Want a Little Girl

3. 90710 Body and Soul

4. 90711 Pee Wee's Blues

5. 90712 Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West

6. 90713 Graduation Blues

I don´t think it has come out on CD.

Edited by EKE BBB

Creative Construction Company (Muse)

There was a Japanese issue which (I believe) only included Volume 1. I agree that a 2on1 CD release would work well. That said, the LPs sell for a modest price and while it is certainly interesting I'm not sure sure it would make much money for whoever reissues it.

A bunch of good Cobblestone/Muse titles by Jimmy Heath ('The Gap Sealer', and the next one) and Carlos Garnett ('Journey to Enlightenment' and 'Let This Melody Ring On'). I also heard Garnett do a phenomenal live version of "Mystery of Ages", which was not fulfilled on the big band record. There are also some really good mid-70's Italian LP's by Archie Shepp, George Adams, and Don Pullen. There was a 2 LP set by Shepp that had an amazing live version of "African Drums" on it. The first album by Hannibal Peterson. The Eric Kloss Muse LP with Peterson on it. Gary Bartz Live at the Left Bank on Milestone. Any of the remaining McCoy Tyner's. The Elektra Musician Woody Shaw's. Non-jazz, the Richie Havens titles on Douglas ('Electric Havens' and 'Richie Havens Record' - he hates them.) and on Stormy Forest. The Bobby Hutcherson stuff with Harold Land (Blue Note) and the Harold Land stuff with Bobby Hutcherson (Mainstream). The Mainstream Buddy Terry's.

Edited by felser

why is that yusefs best? even better than live at peps vol2? whos on it, what songs does he do?

I love Pep's but have very fond memories of A Flat, G Flat and C and always assumed it would be reissued. It is entirely blues based and that suits my taste.

Here's the link to AMG:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:1taqoayayij9

Roscoe Mitchell's "Solo Saxophone Concerts" on Sackville.

I think Sackville returned the tapes to Roscoe 'cause they could not remove the tape print through for cd release.

Probably never see a "silvering" of this record.

Does that mean the tapes are not usable? What are the prospects of making a master from a mint vinyl copy, can that be done with satisfactory results?

Just curious,

Kevin

Hey I was at that recording sesssion!