EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shirley Scott - Scottie Plays The Duke

(AFAIK only one track from the album has appeared on CD - the comp, "Memorial Album")

No chance of a full reissue now I suppose :(

Shirley Scott's Impulse albums would make a decent Mosaic box. Hardly any of that material has been n CD.

MG

MG - Several Impulse albums (Roll Em, On A Clear Day, Queen Of The Organ) were reissued on CD - US/Japanese editions, all of which are now OOP. You can probably get used copies from Amazon marketplace, or try downloading from the Verve website.

Shirley Scott - Scottie Plays The Duke

(AFAIK only one track from the album has appeared on CD - the comp, "Memorial Album")

No chance of a full reissue now I suppose :(

Shirley Scott's Impulse albums would make a decent Mosaic box. Hardly any of that material has been n CD.

MG

MG - Several Impulse albums (Roll Em, On A Clear Day, Queen Of The Organ) were reissued on CD - US/Japanese editions, all of which are now OOP. You can probably get used copies from Amazon marketplace, or try downloading from the Verve website.

Not much out of ten LPs plus Stanley's "Let it go". There's also another LP's worth of live stuff from the "Queen of organ" session which came out on that CD. I expect there's good unissued stuff as well. But at least 12 LPs worth, of an important player like Shirley, and one who's well liked, looks like a good Mosaic project to me. Six/seven disc set.

MG

There's a George Coleman quartet LP that I'd like to see issued on CD. Musically it's a companion album to "Playing Changes":

George Coleman - "Live"

Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, April 19-20, 1979

George Coleman-tsx; Hilton Ruiz-p; Ray Drummond-b; Billy Higgins-d

[a] Blues Inside Out George Coleman 11:30

Walking [sic] Carpenter 15:12

[c] Stella By Starlight Washington-Young 21:35

PYE LP N 121

One of the most underrated tenors out there. I love all of his later stuff.

Edited by Kyo

There's a George Coleman quartet LP that I'd like to see issued on CD. Musically it's a companion album to "Playing Changes":

George Coleman - "Live"

Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, April 19-20, 1979

George Coleman-tsx; Hilton Ruiz-p; Ray Drummond-b; Billy Higgins-d

[a] Blues Inside Out George Coleman 11:30

Walking [sic] Carpenter 15:12

[c] Stella By Starlight Washington-Young 21:35

PYE LP N 121

One of the most underrated tenors out there. I love all of his later stuff.

Great to see mention of that one again, sure brings back memories. I was at the club that week for this particular George Coleman gig. Absolutely first rate - can't recall if they were recording the night I was there.

Has Max Roach's Solos (Baystate) ever made it to CD?

Not that I know of, but that looks like a cool record. Corbett discussed it recently in Downbeat.

It is a cool, and a unique record - there were some solo tracks on other Roach LPs, but not another whole solo drumming album, IIRC. I saw him do two of these live around that time - he really was into it.

Baystate also did a live album of Max' percussion ensemble M'Boom, recorded live at a Netherlands festival - a CD reissue would give opportunity to release the complete performance. The tro issued tracks are a beauty!

That Baystate label released some good stuff - I have an LP of a Charles Tolliver Quartet with Nathan Page that is nice. Marion Brown did LPs on that label, too .....

Someone mentioned an East World LP from Japan - that was another label that issued some gems.

Same goes for Denon - some was on CD, but the majority still awaits a reissue, if only outside of Japan. I have a Reggie Workman solo bass LP on Denon (he also worked as a A & R man for that label) that is stunning!

Guest akanalog

i just found a mickey tucker denon album on CD. i bought it because it was cheap but it isn't really my thing. half of it is a trio with reggie workman on bass.

not label-wise, but just music wise i think the fourth way deserves at least something on CD. what label did they record for? harvest? that was some pretty good early early fusion.

not label-wise, but just music wise i think the fourth way deserves at least something on CD. what label did they record for? harvest? that was some pretty good early early fusion.

Yes, that was on British EMI Harvest. There was a cheapo CD reissue in Italy. A nice album. Bennie Maupin's Almanac LP on Improvising Artists shares the rhythm section and is a nice companion.

Edited by mikeweil

• 4 weeks later...

I've always had a soft spot for the 1957 Impulse recording, "Zoot Sims Plays Four Altos". It's kind of a novelty record where Sims plays alto and then overdubs the results...kind of like an alto sax section. It features John Williams on piano, Knobby Totah (one of the all-time great names in jazz) on bass and Gus Johnson on drums. I have this on vinyl but I don't think it's ever been on CD.

Up over and out.

Dave: The original label was ABC-Paramount, not Impulse. At least parts of the similar album where he overdubs on alto, tenor, and baritone saxophones were issued on CD by GRP, but I think you're correct in the "Four Alto" record not having been reissued.

I've always had a soft spot for the 1957 Impulse recording, "Zoot Sims Plays Four Altos". It's kind of a novelty record where Sims plays alto and then overdubs the results...kind of like an alto sax section. It features John Williams on piano, Knobby Totah (one of the all-time great names in jazz) on bass and Gus Johnson on drums. I have this on vinyl but I don't think it's ever been on CD.

Up over and out.

Dave and other Zoot on alto fans -- try to get a copy of John Benson Brooks' "Folk Jazz U.S.A." (VIK), from 1956:

http://classicjazzguitar.com/albums/artist....jsp?album=1064

If it's not on Fresh Sound or the like, it's a prime candidate for this thread. It also has Al Cohn on baritone, and Nick Travis on trumpet. Brooks was the composer of "You Came a Long Way from St. Louis" and other pop songs; later wrote "Alabama Concerto" (OJC) for Cannonball, Art Farmer, Barry Galbraith, and Milt Hinton; and was a close associate of George Russell.