LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave: The original label was ABC-Paramount, not Impulse. At least parts of the similar album where he overdubs on alto, tenor, and baritone saxophones were issued on CD by GRP, but I think you're correct in the "Four Alto" record not having been reissued.

I've always had a soft spot for the 1957 Impulse recording, "Zoot Sims Plays Four Altos". It's kind of a novelty record where Sims plays alto and then overdubs the results...kind of like an alto sax section. It features John Williams on piano, Knobby Totah (one of the all-time great names in jazz) on bass and Gus Johnson on drums. I have this on vinyl but I don't think it's ever been on CD.

Up over and out.

But wasn't that second album on the GRP one of those Keepnews hackjobs omitting a couple of tunes even though there would have been ample space?

That makes me think - via the other OK hackjob that was compiled from the two Art Farmer Quartet albums (omitting one cut of each) - of my favourite Jazztet album, "Jazztet and John Lewis" - has this been out on CD? If not, feghing release it, it's a hell of a great album! Lewis doesn't play, but it's his tunes and his arrangements, and it's absolutely clear that it's his!

c6434132-f317-4351-99fe-631a19a6e535.jpg

I see it's downloadable now... that's bad news, I assume as far as a CD reissue goes... and at the same time it means it was most likely out on CD in Japan (or is this one where they did remaster something just to put it up for downloading? I doubt they do that at all...)

c6434132-f317-4351-99fe-631a19a6e535.jpg

I see it's downloadable now... that's bad news, I assume as far as a CD reissue goes... and at the same time it means it was most likely out on CD in Japan (or is this one where they did remaster something just to put it up for downloading? I doubt they do that at all...)

Maybe they pulled it from the Mosaic set.

• 2 weeks later...

Never on CD (or are they?):

- WARNE MARSH/ LEW TABACKIN: TENOR GLADNESS (INNER CITY - my version at least) (1976)

- THE JAZZ COPS FEATURING ROLAND KIRK (PACIFIC JAZZ) (?)

And a trio of JIMMY GIUFFRE on VERVE:

- THE JIMMY GUIFFRE 3: SEVEN PIECES (1959)

- THE JIMMY GIUFFRE 4: AD LIB (1959)

- THE JIMMY GIUFFRE QUARTET: IN PERSON (1960)

Edited by P.L.M

Can anyone tell me if Pepper Adams Muse date, Reflectory, has been issued on CD?

if i'm not wrong i have a Camden release which combines all 3 albums from Pepper Adams released by Muse

Marcus

You're right. It was a nice series, even if its booklets were full of errors.

Luca

Guest the mommy

cliffe, i got that one on CD. you know which store has it on unlegit vinyl rip CD.

it's good. get in touch if you want to check it out.

i like it but i feel like on a lot of these british improv things of that time, the vocal women always sort of do the same thing-sort of floaty bird chirpy things. i guess this is how you improvise vocally in a free setting.

but how come no men-only women? did people think it sounded nice? i don't like it.

i mean i have heard julie tippetts, maggie nichols, pepi lemer and norma winstone all do basically the same thing in these kind of settings. snore.

the first song congeals a bit more and is the one i like best of the two tracks.