EKE BBB

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Johnny Griffin - NYC Underground - Galaxy (with Ronnie Mathews, Ray Drummond, Idris Muhammad)

Some other jazz BB had a post where they thought this might be reissued (based on other Griffin on Galaxy coming out), but I am inclined to doubt it. I went ahead and picked the LP up the other day (a decent copy for about $5).

6937_1.JPG

... as well as three more Prestige LPs by Patterson!

YES - on a twofer with Bobby Timmons' "Holiday soul"!!!!!

Another twofer

Paul Bryant - Somethin's happenin'/Groove time - Fantasy

Of course, the idea that Concord would put these out, when Fantasy refused to...

Jackie Ivory - Soul discovery - Atco

Jimmy McGriff - Black pearl - Blue Note on a twofer with

Jimmy McGriff & Junior Parker - Chicken fried soul - UA - both recorded live in McGriff's club, the Silver Slipper, Newark NJ.

James Brown's jazz albums on Smash:

Grits & soul

Today & yesterday

New breed

The real thing

All ten of the Black & Blue "Midnight slows" series as a Mosaic boxed set with full size original artwork :cool:

MG

The OH CAPTAIN Soundtrack is great! I copied it over to CD quite some time ago and listen to it over & over. I especially like the Osie Johnson vocal track, MADAME (or something similar).

I believe a few of the tracks made it to a Tony Scott CD out by Lonehill. But nothing beats the complete LP. Wonder if there are any alternate takes, etc floating around in the MGM/Universal vaults...

6937_1.JPG

... as well as three more Prestige LPs by Patterson!

YES - on a twofer with Bobby Timmons' "Holiday soul"!!!!!

Another twofer

Paul Bryant - Somethin's happenin'/Groove time - Fantasy

Of course, the idea that Concord would put these out, when Fantasy refused to...

Jackie Ivory - Soul discovery - Atco

Jimmy McGriff - Black pearl - Blue Note on a twofer with

Jimmy McGriff & Junior Parker - Chicken fried soul - UA - both recorded live in McGriff's club, the Silver Slipper, Newark NJ.

James Brown's jazz albums on Smash:

Grits & soul

Today & yesterday

New breed

The real thing

All ten of the Black & Blue "Midnight slows" series as a Mosaic boxed set with full size original artwork :cool:

MG

I never noticed this, but over at Dustygroove:

Bobby Timmons -- Holiday Soul ... LP

New Copy (reissue).... Summer 2006 (delayed)

Sure is a long delay, but a vinyl reissue would be better than nuthin'!

I never noticed this, but over at Dustygroove:

Bobby Timmons -- Holiday Soul ... LP

New Copy (reissue).... Summer 2006 (delayed)

Sure is a long delay, but a vinyl reissue would be better than nuthin'!

Who could reissue this? Only Concord and surely they wouldn't?

I don't think I can believe Da Barstids on this one.

MG

Never seen these ones on CD, I'd like to be proven wrong...

Jimmy McGriff A bag full of soul Solid State

Freddie Mac Coy Lonely avenue Prestige

As far as I know, you're right. No Freddie McCoy LPs have ever been issued on CD. His Prestige LPs would make an ideal Mosaic Select, if Mosaic used Concord/Fantasy material. I think they are just about short enough to get all 7 on 3 CDs.

MG

Never seen these ones on CD, I'd like to be proven wrong...

Jimmy McGriff A bag full of soul Solid State

Freddie Mac Coy Lonely avenue Prestige

As far as I know, you're right. No Freddie McCoy LPs have ever been issued on CD. His Prestige LPs would make an ideal Mosaic Select, if Mosaic used Concord/Fantasy material. I think they are just about short enough to get all 7 on 3 CDs.

MG

Spider Man was recently on CD in Japan.

post-5772-1197576117_thumb.jpg

MG, how are the newer Jackie Ivory albums? (laying in the cut, Live at jack's bar)

Jakie Ivory never made another album like "Soul discovery", not with Willis Jackson, and certainly not with Jr Walker.

"Jacks" is a pretty standard, solid type of album of a black R&B band live with an appreciative audience. As a document of that nature, it's valuable.

"Laying in the cut" has a different band, a lot more enthusiasm, and some tracks that do approach the "over the top" kind of playing that made Ivory's reputation.

But basically, its a pub band. I like 'em. I play 'em. I enjoy 'em. But it's still a pub band.

MG

Spider Man was recently on CD in Japan.

Well, that's interesting. Thanks Bruce! Something to put on my next order for Hiroshi. Any idea of the yen price?

MG

It seems to have disappeared everywhere but Amazon US who seem to have only 1 in stock for US$28. Probably the last copy to be had.

MG, how are the newer Jackie Ivory albums? (laying in the cut, Live at jack's bar)

Jakie Ivory never made another album like "Soul discovery", not with Willis Jackson, and certainly not with Jr Walker.

"Jacks" is a pretty standard, solid type of album of a black R&B band live with an appreciative audience. As a document of that nature, it's valuable.

"Laying in the cut" has a different band, a lot more enthusiasm, and some tracks that do approach the "over the top" kind of playing that made Ivory's reputation.

But basically, its a pub band. I like 'em. I play 'em. I enjoy 'em. But it's still a pub band.

MG

Thanks!

I'm sure i'd like them.