Jackie McLean's Monuments

Hardbopjazz

I'm not opposed to albums such as this in pricipal, but I am opposed to this one. The only even slightly "redeeming" quality is the track where McLean talks about the old days. It's kinda jive, but kinda not.

The producer was Mitch Farber, a keyboardist/arranger who was doing some production work for Muse at the time. How the hookup w/McLean came about, I don't know. But it was unfortunate for all concerned.

The irony is that McClean could no doubt have made a burning "street" record at the time, ala the Gary Bartz NTU Troop's work of a few years earlier. But this one ain't street - this one is some sad, overproduced, underinspired, too-slick bullshit.

I'll say this about Monuments - it's proof that making a good pop-jazz record (if you're willing to admit that such a beast is capable of even existing...) ain't as easy as you might think. If anything, it's easier to make a bad one.

Fortunately I managed to miss Jackie's Monuments album

and based on the feedback I won't bother searching for it.

While we are on the subject of dog's let me throw this one

by John Handy on the table:

124001180m.jpg

I picked it up cheap in a used record shop a few years ago

and when I played it I felt like I had been robbed!!

It's God awful terrible and by far the worst "jazz" album in my

collection. I purchased it without reading a review because

I was impressed with John's playing on some of the other

albums I had by him.

I guess I'll blame it on the 70's. Seems like artists were forced

to pretty much take whatever work came their way just to survive.

The producer of this one ought to have been shot.

It's albums like this that give jazz a bad name.

Don

• 6 years later...

I spent about 5-minutes spinning a copy of Monuments in a used record store here in DC on Sunday. Dropped the needle on all of the tracks on side one, and I couldn't bring myself to flip the disc.

The 'rap' Jim mentioned way up earlier in this thread, is the 2nd Youtube clip down below...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

After reading all the comments and never hearing the album before I expected the worst. But, of the first You Tube example that Rooster posted, I thought of the commercial where NBA player Blake Griffin tells his Kia to play him some funk. Not a bad groove! The second tune totally blew.

There's a copy of the album at a local record store and it's been there for years. Something inside of me said "don't buy it, boy" and I've listened to that voice all this time. Now that I've read this thread I won't have to worry about a little voice trying to convince me that it might be worth a shot.