Jackie McLean's Monuments

Hardbopjazz

Actually I didn't find the tracks posted above to be so bad and I would even buy this album if I found it for a couple of Euros. Jackie's own playing and saxophone sound is enough for me.

I note that he's playing in tune and wonder if that might be the producer's idea. :)

• 9 years later...

Why no bop revival for Mr. McLean?

(* Disclaimer: I may be overstating the extent to which there really was a sales uptick and/or the market was actually juiced for a McLean comeback. Perhaps Monuments looked like it might sell, or help him reconnect with the "kids". Maybe he was just really into slick lifeless disco or it was a comedy bit, or something. I'd take all that if it was Ayler or Harris, but harder to believe it with McLean).

Edited by Rabshakeh

21 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

On Friday the week before last, I spotted a copy of Jackie McLean's universally beloved masterpiece Monuments in a market, which I recognised at once by its beautiful cover art and cheap cheap price. That prompted me to give it a listen on YouTube this evening. 

It was my first listen; never say never, but it might be my last listen too. So it goes.

What's weird about that album is that it was recorded in 1979, at a time when the bop revival was in full swing, and Dexter and VSOP were blitzing eager crowds who were thirsting for quality jazz*.

So, in the spirit of the recent Stitt v Gordon thread, why on earth was Jackie McClean recording a horrific throwaway album of lightweight disco drek at a time when he had barely recorded for a few years and the market was panting* for some real bebop craftsmanship of the sort that McLean was supremely well adapted to, and, by the mid-80s, would, supply? Why no bop revival for Mr. McLean?

(* Disclaimer: I may be overstating the extent to which there really was a sales uptick and/or the market was actually juiced for a McLean comeback. Perhaps Monuments looked like it might sell, or help him reconnect with the "kids". Maybe he was just really into slick lifeless disco or it was a comedy bit, or something. I'd take all that if it was Ayler or Harris, but harder to believe it with McLean).

I don't know. ? Big label opportunity. 

I think I smothered my own question in the rather flippant post above (which I have since also accidentally edited out of recognition), but does anyone have any idea why Jackie McLean did not take part in the late 70s / early 80s bop revival?

On the face of it, he would seem to have been an ideal candidate, given that he was one of the most prominent bop and hard bop musicians and was actually there from bop ground zero through the whole development of the NY scene. Instead, McLean makes a weird disco record then stops recording for half a decade.