Paul Chambers

Soul Stream

Simply, my favorite bass player of all time! I like the story of when him, Miles, and Philly Joe were at some restaurant and Paul put on too much sauce on his spaghetti, Philly Joe and Miles were talking, next thing you know Paul had his head in his plate, past out.

('m getting these from the Miles book BTW)

Also, when Miles was playing some variety show, Paul asked some old women, "What are you doing tonight?"

Besides, incredible bass player. He's probaly on more than 85 % of my recordings.

Simply, my favorite bass player of all time! I like the story of when him, Miles, and Philly Joe were at some restaurant and Paul put on too much sauce on his spaghetti, Philly Joe and Miles were talking, next thing you know Paul had his head in his plate, past out.

Sounds like he had too much sauce. :party::party::party:

I keep thinking that I need to get his Mosaic Select set.

ms005.jpg

I don't know much about the rest of the select...but I USED to have "Bass On Top"...actually, one of my first Blue Notes...and I always loved it.

The 3 clips on the site are terrific.

I'll probably end up ordering this sooner rather than later.

Wasn't Tony Williams even younger when he joined Miles?

Yes. This is kinda scary - from AMG:

During 1959-1960, Williams often played with Sam Rivers, and in December 1962 (when he was barely 17), the drummer moved to New York and played regularly with Jackie McLean. Within a few months he joined Miles Davis, where his ability to imply the beat while playing quite freely influenced and inspired the other musicians; together with Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter he was part of one of the great rhythm sections. Williams, who was 18 when he appeared on Eric Dolphy's classic Out to Lunch album, stayed with Davis into 1969, leading his own occasional sessions and becoming a household name in the jazz world.

Paul Chambers, Lee Morgan, Tony Williams........

Compared to many that are touted today, isn't it amazing how each one of these artists had their own personality and concept at a young age?

It speaks volumns of their early dedication to the music. Serious , gifted and hard-working artists.jb_chambers.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's interesting, there really isn't much written about his personal life (that I've found). I'd be interested in knowing more about his life outside of music. I know that he came to Detroit when he was 14 and that he was 20 when Miles hired him. I've also read that he died of tuberculosis and had serious problem with drugs, that's about it. A Detroit Jazz Musician (who knew and played with him) once told me that he was constantly being picked up (during rehearsals) by the police for non-payment of child support. I tried to ask him more questions about Paul, but he didn't want to go there, for some unknown reason. I wonder how many children he had...

Where can one find such information on this interesting Jazz virtuoso? Is there a bio in the works?

I've only heard stories and not directly from people who would know, but I think in addition to having a really bad drug problem, he tended to keep others in drugs. Brownie had a reputation of getting people clean and P.C. had a reputation of keeping people hooked. I of course, don't know if that is deserved.

From a bassist standpoint, he's a very significant musician. Inarguably one of the most significant for our music based on his discography if nothing else. He also is generally credited with bringing the arco solo to the forefront, although most modern bassist don't like that sound. His arco tone had a lot to do with the strings he used and how it was recorded, but compared to someone like John Clayton he was a terrific pioneer, but not an arco master by any means. For his time...

His playing was great at times and inconsistent at others. Maybe because of the junk, but there are some interesting...I don't know, I won't say "flaws"...how about "suspect things" occasionally in the notes he chose and his time feel. In places on certain recordings. On others, he's the text book of how-to. I love his pizzicato tone and he played some very hip stuff.

He MUST have been great to work with, just based on how often he was hired.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I'm new to the board and don't know if it's cool here to counter people's praise. When he was good, he was great.

TroyK

Edited by TroyK

". . . and P.C. had a reputation of keeping people hooked. . ."

yeah, troyk, i think that statement is offensive. in 40 years, i've :tdown never heard anything like that about him before.

Then I apologize. I certainly don't have 1st hand knowledge. I do know of a biography in progress. Maybe when it comes out, we'll all know more about him.

troy

". . . and P.C. had a reputation of keeping people hooked. . ."

yeah, troyk, i think that statement is offensive. in 40 years, i've :tdown never heard anything like that about him before.

Then I apologize. I certainly don't have 1st hand knowledge. I do know of a biography in progress. Maybe when it comes out, we'll all know more about him.

troy

iz ok, I'm interested in rumors. :g

do you have firsthand knowledge, valerieb?

are you someone close enough to this situation to know whether what troyk said is true or not?

just curious...

i knew paul long ago, my girlfriend lived with him for years, he lived across the street from me, i went to his funeral. all that to say that i cannot swear one way or another. what i did say was that i had never heard that said about paul before - in 40 years!

Guest akanalog

i was curious what valerieb's connection was.

he or she explained and it was actually a pretty interesting explanation.

and based on this answer it seems like he or she might know what's up.

getting back to you, james...i think it is pretty beat if people are going to jump on each others butts for diseminating ancedotal information and stories about jazz musicians they like or dislike.

i mean i don't think anyone posting on this website that paul chambers might have hooked people up with smack is really going to sully his name.

where i'm coming from, any information-first second or third hand is always welcome in presenting me with a fuller picture of musicians i might only know from the music.

then of course when someone like valerieb can then give even more valid info, all the better.