Derek Trucks Band

Jazz Kat

Guest akanalog

i saw him on BET's studio jams with a jamband-ish crew of oteil and kofi burbridge and vernon reid and some schmuk on sax (jeff coffin or something) and some guy i think from truck's band on drums and trucks didn't really seem to know how to fit in with the other guys. he can do what he can do but can he do anythng else?

i saw him on BET's studio jams with a jamband-ish crew of oteil and kofi burbridge and vernon reid and some schmuk on sax (jeff coffin or something) and some guy i think from truck's band on drums and trucks didn't really seem to know how to fit in with the other guys.  he can do what he can do but can he do anythng else?

He's certainly not someone who has all his poop in a group just yet. Didn't see the TV thing, but my guess would be that Vernon Reid would not be a natural pairing for him.

--eric

i saw him on BET's studio jams with a jamband-ish crew of oteil and kofi burbridge and vernon reid and some schmuk on sax (jeff coffin or something) and some guy i think from truck's band on drums and trucks didn't really seem to know how to fit in with the other guys.  he can do what he can do but can he do anythng else?

He's certainly not someone who has all his poop in a group just yet. Didn't see the TV thing, but my guess would be that Vernon Reid would not be a natural pairing for him.

--eric

I have that on tape. No, Trucks isn't a talker. But he played fine.

Derek Trucks Band shows are posted regularly on bt.etree.org. His wife, Susan Tedeschi, is a regular guest. A fan posted a compilation of DTB songs all featuring Tedeschi on EZT a year or two ago that was fantastic and lead me to look for more by both, including commercial releases.

I think Trucks is probably the least talented member of his band.  As is many times the case....  Those brothers are really cooking.

Um...what the hell are you talking about? I think Derek Trucks is a great player. I'd rather hear him with the Allman Bros. than his own band.

I think Trucks is probably the least talented member of his band.  As is many times the case....  Those brothers are really cooking.

Um...what the hell are you talking about? I think Derek Trucks is a great player. I'd rather hear him with the Allman Bros. than his own band.

I preface this my saying I haven't seen his band or...god forbid, The Allman Brothers.

But...I did SEE them play...

I think Trucks is a good musician. I think Kofi Burbridge and his bass playing brother are better musicians. I saw the them play with Trucks on BET Jazz's "Studio Jam." Also saw Trucks in a different configuration on "Studio Jams" with Joey Defrancesco, Tuck Andress, Victor Wooten, ect.

My impression was he seemed like a good musician, period. Nothing more, nothing less.... I'm not knocking him, this is just my relatively objective opinion from what I've seen on that show which really puts folks on the spot musically. Thought the Burbridge brothers were really shining in that context and Derek was just kind of hanging on.

Edited by Soul Stream

Derek had some wonderful stuff going on the night I saw him with the Allman Bros. Afterward I told him, "The best thing I can say is that when you played, I felt good."

damn, I gotta see them....next year, Joe, no matter what!! :tup

Why wait until next year? Allegan County Fair, Allegan MI 9/14.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw the current tour about a month ago and really liked it. Derek has become quite the monster slide player and he's not even 30 years old yet (close but still....). His version of My Favorite Things was OOT in a good way. He's got a very tight band that seems to be able to follow his muse where ever it takes him. His speed and intonation on the slide is a thing of beauty. There's a website called International Archives that posts live shows approved by the musicians and he's got several shows including the one I saw posted for listening and downloading. Derek's shows are all audience recordings and not soundboards but some are quite good for the limitations they have.

The DTB usually makes a stop in Buffalo at the university once a year or so. I've seen the band 4 times - including a fabulous show in Quebec City that I stumbled on a couple of years ago. I've been a fan of the Allman Brothers since High School and first heard Trucks through them. I like the DTB far better.

From my personal standpoint, I've realized long ago that the best musicians don't always make the best music. I prefer to avoid comparing differennt musicians or groups and asking myself the question - do I like it or not? Keeps me from limiting myself to certain guys and avoiding others for no good reason (to me). I really like Trucks music and band and to me that's good enough to keep me listening and buying their stuff.

A big bonus is that for some reason, both my boys like Trucks as well and going to hear him or playing his CDs in the car is somethign we can share. Having them know Afro Blue is a good thing :cool:

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I saw the current tour about a month ago and really liked it. Derek has become quite the monster slide player and he's not even 30 years old yet (close but still....). His version of My Favorite Things was OOT in a good way. He's got a very tight band that seems to be able to follow his muse where ever it takes him. His speed and intonation on the slide is a thing of beauty. There's a website called International Archives that posts live shows approved by the musicians and he's got several shows including the one I saw posted for listening and downloading. Derek's shows are all audience recordings and not soundboards but some are quite good for the limitations they have.

Archive.org is great for those recordings. I found THREE different versions of the show I was at! There is nice show from the Wanee festival that has Trucks opening the set with Indian guitarist V.M. Bhatt.

What struck me at the concert I went to was the fact that his most awe-inspiring playing of the night was when he played conventionally [without the slide]. He played that way on the clip I posted and on My Favorite Things.

Archive.org is great for those recordings. I found THREE different versions of the show I was at! There is nice show from the Wanee festival that has Trucks opening the set with Indian guitarist V.M. Bhatt.

What struck me at the concert I went to was the fact that his most awe-inspiring playing of the night was when he played conventionally [without the slide]. He played that way on the clip I posted and on My Favorite Things.

Thanks for that note about him playing with V. M. Bhatt. I need to check that out.