Fort Apache Band

bertrand

Can anyone confirm that the composition 'Fort Apache' from the Fort Apache Band's CD Crossings is by Jackie McLean? Is it something he recorded elsewhere under another title, or a brand new piece?

Trumpeter Alex Norris told me about it today, and it seems based on what iTunes says that this is the case.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Thanks Rosco. I bough this track on iTunes - I can tell it has Jackie's compositional 'flavor' to it, and it does not sound like anything else he recorded (although I'll have to research this more - I don't have all his compositions from this period memorized as yet). Does the CD give a recording date? The iTunes database shows 1994, but this sounds late to me.

This is a great piece and performance. Latin arrangements of Jackie tunes are a rarity.

I know at least two other Jackie compositions that he has yet to record on an album - 'Walter Davis Ascending', which he performed at Lincoln Center in 1990, and 'Like It Is', a theme he wrote for the Gil Noble TV show of the same name. It was played as the theme to the show, but has never made it to record. I sure would like to hear it.

There is also a copyright for a piece called 'Groove One' from the fifties - I need to research this more.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Thanks Rosco.  I bough this track on iTunes - I can tell it has Jackie's compositional 'flavor' to it, and it does not sound like anything else he recorded (although I'll have to research this more - I don't have all his compositions from this period memorized as yet).  Does the CD give a recording date?  The iTunes database shows 1994, but this sounds late to me.

This is a great piece and performance.  Latin arrangements of Jackie tunes are a rarity.

Date for the session is given as April- May 1994.

Aparrently, the piece isn't exactly as McLean wrote it. Also from the notes:

Pianist Larry Willis and drummer (Steve) Berrios molded the original composition to fit the unique style of the Fort Apache band, making it a hybrid of the rhythmic styles of yambu, songo and modern bebop. "At first, we went into the studio with it and it didn't work," Berrios recalls. "It's one thing to hear the effect in your mind and another to hear it on tape- we realized we had to add two bars." The performance is a testament to the band's creative resourcefulness.

The opening head has an odd 13-17-13-16 structure; during the solos each section is 'normalised' to 16 bars.

But yes, a good piece and well performed (the whole album's a good 'un). Pity there's no light shed on exactly how that homage came about.

I wondered about this too, but Alex Norris shed some light: apparently, Andy Gonzales has a connection to the program Jackie runs in Hartford.

The connection could also be Larry Willis, who remains tight with Jackie to this day.

In any case, a very successful collaboration. I need to explore this band some more, I've been taking them for granted.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 12 years later...
On August 15, 2005 at 0:20 PM, bertrand said:

I know at least two other Jackie compositions that he has yet to record on an album - 'Walter Davis Ascending', which he performed at Lincoln Center in 1990, and 'Like It Is', a theme he wrote for the Gil Noble TV show of the same name. It was played as the theme to the show, but has never made it to record. I sure would like to hear it.

Jackie consented to have me record "Walter Davis Ascending" on a SteepleChase date in 1998. After he heard the melody in his head the night that Walter died Jackie called me for me to notate the tune while he played it on his horn over the phone.

• 2 weeks later...