Ray Charles' complete Atlantic recs. due out 9/20

J.A.W.

Just saw this on another board:

Rhino will release an 8CD-set with Ray Charles' entire Atlantic Records catalog on September 20, to commemorate what would have been his 75th birthday. The title of the box is Ray Charles Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952-1959) and it includes nearly nine hours of music and 165 tracks, highlighted by a disc of 27 unreleased or rare cuts.

CDUniverse has a tracklisting. Their pre-ordering price is $111.47.

According to CDUniverse "PURE GENIUS comes packaged in a '50s-inspired record-player case and contains a bonus DVD featuring live concert footage and an exclusive interview with producer Ahmet Ertegun. Liner Note Authors: Ahmet Ertegun; David Ritz. Recording information: 1952 - 1959."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much different will this be from the Birth Of Soul Atlantic box?

The Birth of Soul box only included Charles' R&B sides, the new box will include everything he recorded for Atlantic, such as the jazz sides.

Well, not everything. Ray returned to the lable for four albums in the 1970s. I have the first three. They're all a mixed bag, but when they're good, they're very good. The first one, True To Life, is easily the strongest (there's a version of "How Long Has This Been Going On" on there that is Sesert Island Material). The following two are much more variable/erratic, and by the tiem the fourth one came out, I decided to pass.

Guy, an awful lot of the material IS out on cd, if you don't have it though, it's worth considering this box set as the compacting of sides will mean LESS cds overall to buy, some of which are really only available as imports. . . .

An amazing body of work!

Guy, an awful lot of the material IS out on cd, if you don't have it though, it's worth considering this box set as the compacting of sides will mean LESS cds overall to buy, some of which are really only available as imports. . . .

That's my main consideration -- 8 CDs implies at least a dozen albums, so I'm guessing the box is a better value. Thanks Lon.

Guy

How much different will this be from the Birth Of Soul Atlantic box?

The Birth of Soul box only included Charles' R&B sides, the new box will include everything he recorded for Atlantic, such as the jazz sides.

Well, not everything. Ray returned to the lable for four albums in the 1970s. I have the first three. They're all a mixed bag, but when they're good, they're very good. The first one, True To Life, is easily the strongest (there's a version of "How Long Has This Been Going On" on there that is Sesert Island Material). The following two are much more variable/erratic, and by the tiem the fourth one came out, I decided to pass.

I meant everything in the 1952-1959 period mentioned in my first post. Apparently that wasn't clear.

I would really rather see these done differently though, along the lines of the EXCELLENT  Crown lp reissue series that Ace is doing of the B.B. King Crown and Kent and RPM material.  That way you'd have original lp covers, etc.

Lon: I started buying into the BB King series, but then got too confused to continue. I have a number of the Crown LPs and about 5 of the new CDs. Now, when I see all the covers of the new CDs in the stores, my head spins around. Do I already have it on CD, or maybe on LP, or maybe it is just that the cover is very familiar from seeing it for so many years?

I've never had that problem before and I don't like carrying around "want lists" or "already have lists" with me in record stores. If it gets to that point, I figure that it is just not worth continuing to buy. ;)

Well, I don't know who's fault THAT is. . . they're using the original covers on the series which is what I would/do want them to do. . . .

What's kept me straight I guess is that I have been buying them as they come out, and on the top back left each says "The ***th in the series of reissues of the Crown LPs. . ." of some such phrase. They have released eight so far, and there is one more to come. An excellent series covering an incredible period in B. B.'s recording career.

Also. . . I have some of the lps too. . .they sound like warmed over crap compared to these cds!

Edited by jazzbo

This is great news, indeed! (But with that Jelly Roll, it will be quite hard...)

The first one, True To Life, is easily the strongest (there's a version of "How Long Has This Been Going On" on there that is Sesert Island Material). ...

I hear ya! I heard a live version of this one, with Johnny Coles soloing... WHOAH! From 1976, I think. Pity I just sent the Maupin...