Ray Charles' complete Atlantic recs. due out 9/20

J.A.W.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41RRVSHXCTL._SS400_.jpg

should i add this set with the genius box?

Yup. The complete C&W recordings is a great box set. I don't have the huge Atlantic box, but I have the C&W box, the Birth of Soul - Complete Atlantic R&B Recordings 3-disc set, and the DCC Uh-Huh 2-disc set, and it's a great heaping of Ray.

Edited by jeffrey r

• 1 year later...

This was one of the first sets I put on my iPod when I got one, and its made the music a bit more accessible to listen to in a physical sense (similar to most of my other CD box sets that I've converted to digital format). Its a marvelously creative musical spell that is documented. My appreciation of this music grows with time.

Yeah, I saw they have it. But was it deleted from Rhino's catalog?

I suspect that it is going out of print. There don't seem to be too many copies around. I got the last one that amazon.co.uk had last week - more than I wanted to spend but didn't want to let it get by me.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

....yes indeed, at this price I pulled the trigger on it as well.

I paid, I think, $49 for mine from one of the online clubs several years ago and have never had a shred of buyer's remorse. Tough set for storage though!

I may be a minority, but I like the pre-Atlantic stuff best - not the real Nat Cole-ish stuff, but there's an in-between period when he's working things out and sounds very raw. It's been booted on a few labels, I think.

The stuff on the Swingtime label?

I have some of that but they are relatively early ones. Which sessions/recording periods are you specifically thinking of?

Singular genius is an excellent box. I'm getting a great deal of pleasure out of it. I love the Swingtime/Downbeat material I've got, though it's just a couple of LPs and isn't complete. Must go for the one Allen linked to as soon as I've moved Singular genius off the frequent listening list.

But the Atlantic material, whether jazz or R&B, is tops. Gawd, it's 53 years since I bought my first Ray Charles single...

MG

yes, the swingtime - more like the "mature" Ray, but a little less slick. Not sure where my copies are right now. here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Swing-Time-Recordings-1949-52/dp/B000654ZB4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333654702&sr=8-3

There's a duplified track (and hence another one missing) - not sure, but I think CD2#22 is one of the takes of "Sweet as Can Be" that's duplicated, while "Late in the Evening Blues" is missing.