Ray Charles' complete Atlantic recs. due out 9/20

J.A.W.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term "genius" is tossed about so casually these days that it has lost it's meaning. Not so in the case of Ray Charles. He was truly a musical genius. I just received my set and the music is nothing short of wonderful. I really like that they arranged the songs according to recording date. We get to hear Ray blossom, so to speak, as he really comes into his own with the greater freedom/independance afforded to him at Atlantic. His blending of different genres was remarkable for the time as he paved his way over new ground. The packaging is about as impractical as you can get but still, it's a wonderful treatment for such a fantastic collection. I'm very pleased that the discs are housed in a plastic tray and not just a paper sleeve where the disc has to slide in and out. The cloth-bound book is very good and the whole, overall appearance is excellent. This was a no-brainer bargain at $39.99. It's even a bargain at the $46.00 Amazon is currently asking for it. I'm very, very happy with it.

Edited by mikelz777

I own most, but not all, of this in a hodge podge of packages, but since some of it was a present I'll probably keep it that way. I can hardly believe that Ray isn't in Downbeat's Hall of Fame, or anybody's, he sure is in mine. Could play lots of different stuff, if not quite everything, he prefered singing songs but that's another issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!! Fathead!!!

Fathead!!!

fa·tid·ic pron.jpg (fschwa.gif-tibreve.gifdprime.gifibreve.gifk) KEY also fa·tid·i·cal (-ibreve.gif-kschwa.gifl) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Relating to or characterized by prophecy; prophetic.http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/fatidic

So glad that Newberry had this set at this price...I'm familiar with all the R&B stuff to the point of complacency, but not nearly so much the small group jazz stuff, which is really hitting the spot right now.

Newbury has it back at the same price. Finally ordered after procrastinating last time around. Just a few copies though so anyone interested should move quickly!

• 6 months later...

Saw that one in a store, sealed, but could see it has a booklet that looked rather big. As I have the big box, I won't need any of the new releases, but I still need a good replacement for the crappy 2CD set I got with the early recordings (I got the one which duplicates a track and omits another one, released by an outfit by name of Night Train).

Hm, the new, cheaper edition of the Rhino "Pure Genius" box hasn't been mentioned here before, must have been another thread, I guess. Here's the one:

http://www.amazon.fr/Pure-Genius-Completed-Recordings-1952-59/dp/B007TLCU2Y/

Saw that one in a store, sealed, but could see it has a booklet that looked rather big. As I have the big box, I won't need any of the new releases, but I still need a good replacement for the crappy 2CD set I got with the early recordings (I got the one which duplicates a track and omits another one, released by an outfit by name of Night Train).

Hm, the new, cheaper edition of the Rhino "Pure Genius" box hasn't been mentioned here before, must have been another thread, I guess. Here's the one:

http://www.amazon.fr.../dp/B007TLCU2Y/

Just in case someone was wondering about it: that Night Train set was legit. I don't think it's that bad - apart from the error, of course.

Just in case someone was wondering about it: that Night Train set was legit. I don't think it's that bad - apart from the error, of course.

I thought so ... but in this case you seem to be better-served by going illegit (Fresh Sound, JSP, whatever). Or the legitics should provide a fix, which to my knowledge, they never did.

I vaguely recognise the name Bill Samuels , but can't place him? DOing a Google search brings up some politico all the time.

All the Bill Samuels items were reissued on CD 5112 in the CLASSICS BLUES & RHYTHM SERIES before.

The Penguin Guide to Blues Recordings sez thus:

"A crooner with the exageratedly precise diction of Al Hibbler,. Samuels applied his velvet-fog voice to standards like Ghost of a Chance ... occasionally diversifying into Louis jordan jive numbers ... and an infrequent blues" and goes on to describe the contents of this CD as "svelte lounge music."

It ain't THAT mediocre, though, that CD. ;)

Cannot see that Ray Charles played piano on these sessions so are these really just fillers?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I vaguely recognise the name Bill Samuels , but can't place him? DOing a Google search brings up some politico all the time.

All the Bill Samuels items were reissued on CD 5112 in the CLASSICS BLUES & RHYTHM SERIES before.

The Penguin Guide to Blues Recordings sez thus:

"A crooner with the exageratedly precise diction of Al Hibbler,. Samuels applied his velvet-fog voice to standards like Ghost of a Chance ... occasionally diversifying into Louis jordan jive numbers ... and an infrequent blues" and goes on to describe the contents of this CD as "svelte lounge music."

It ain't THAT mediocre, though, that CD. ;)

Cannot see that Ray Charles played piano on these sessions so are these really just fillers?

That all sounds purrty vullegar :w

Sounds kinda Crown-ish to me, only Crown would put a headliner's name on an album that had one or two cuts by them and then the fine-print guy (if there was one) would take up the rest of the record.

Or even better - put a headliner on the cover who's not even on the record.

crown5415.jpg

That's better than vulgar!

That all sounds purrty vullegar :w

Much too nightclubbish (call it "sophisticated" if you want) to be "vulgar" :lol: . In fact, those who really like that early pre-Atlantic Ray Charles stuff (and who therefore are bound to like Charles Brown and his ilk too) are likely to appreciate Bill Samuels too (because his style falls into the same bracket).

Considering that other (comprehensive) Samuels reissue is OOP now but has been available for a long time, I'd wager a guess that those who WANT Samuels have already been served. So - yes, that combination stinks a little.

HOWEVER, the reissuers of that Ray Charles package are not the only guilty ones. Remember how Document used to proceed often (and still does)? And Blue Moon too (but ... stop ... that's Andorran! Evil! Evil! :crazy: So no surprise ... :P )

No, seriously, this practice is annoying (given the relatively recent availability of the Samuels CD) but I think in almost all instances it is a case of the discography of the artist in question being too slim to make up a full CD (and without the Samuels stuff the playing time on that TWO-CD set would have been laughable, right? ;)) so the compilers throw in a few bonuses that might appeal to the target buyer group.

While the stylistic lineage is not to be denied here, it would have made more sense to me to fill up the CD with a couple of very early other R&B tracks where Ray Charles was the session pianist. (But ... hold it ... that would have meant research and possibly remastering! :P )

(Yet I consider getting that set to finally replace my old "20 Golden Pieces" series LP of Ray Charles Swingtime tracks.)

BTW, as for MG's comment about those Miami sides being included at the end of the Ray Charles tracklist, while I do not have my Leadbitter/Slaven discography on hand, I seem to recall they listed one or two tracks more than those in that set. So ...? (They might be retitled alternate takes, though)I

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Well, I was just joking of course ... not sure I really need to replace the 2CD set I have because of one missing track and a few others, but the JSP would fit the bill nicely, I think.

In my case it would be a bit more than 20 missing tracks. Now do I NEED them? ;)

BTW, did anybody find that set on the JSP WEBSITE? :huh: