Amazing Coltrane discovery

dsgtrane

Hope those tapes will be handled by people who really care for the music, like Mosaic or Uptown. Not those clowns at Impulse!

You know that's not going to happen. Coltrane is Impulse's cash cow.

Start saving for the 3 disc "Super Ultimate Edition" of ALS along with the 2 disc "Coltrane/Hartman" set. I'll complain but will buy them both.

Hope those tapes will be handled by people who really care for the music, like Mosaic or Uptown. Not those clowns at Impulse!

You know that's not going to happen. Coltrane is Impulse's cash cow.

Start saving for the 3 disc "Super Ultimate Edition" of ALS along with the 2 disc "Coltrane/Hartman" set. I'll complain but will buy them both.

I am afraid that's what's going to happen :o

And knowing myself, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying these when they come out on Impulse :angry:

And many thanks to you for bringing this to our attention :tup

Edited by brownie

Yes, saw this in N&N.

I see no possibility that Uptown or Mosaic will handle this. Coltrane is too valuable a commodity to Impulse.

Well, at least I'll feel better when Impulse sells me another "complete" set - between the various 2-disc reissues they've already done and this stuff, it will be more worthwhile.

I propose that the presence of "Skylark" on the Blakey tape would make Workman, not Merritt the bassist.

I will also propose that the date of this Blakey tape is almost certainly early March (possibly very late February) 1963 when Blakey and Coltrane were playing opposite each other at Birdland.

Mike

Wow! That's really exciting.

Does anyone know if the content of the letter from Evans to Coltrane (mentioned among the auction items) has been published anywhere? I would love to get a look at that. Any info is much appreciated.

nathan

We should post what we think the letter says.

--eric

Look, it's a "Dear John" letter - aren't those all pretty much the same?

Mike

:lol:

Incredible news... This has sure been a year for discoveries. (How does stuff like this just sit around in people's houses?! Unbelievable! :o )

No doubt the head honchos at Impulse are gleeflully rubbing their hands together at the prospect of milking yet more cash from the pockets of impoverished Coltrane fans but hey, if they do it right I'm not gonna complain too hard. Of course, no guarantee of that...

A sextet take of 'Acknowledgement' that's better than the one on ALS???!!! I'll believe it when I hear it... :huh:

There's a lot of things here that have me salivating... :P

The Coleman and Blakey stuff sounds good too...

Actually, re: the Bill Evans letter...

I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that Trane wasn't too fond of Evans (I'm trying to remember where I read that).

This rumour has been refuted elsewhere, but maybe the letter would help shed some light...

Wow! That's really exciting.

Does anyone know if the content of the letter from Evans to Coltrane (mentioned among the auction items) has been published anywhere? I would love to get a look at that. Any info is much appreciated.

nathan

The letter is reprinted in the Guernsey's auction book (many thanks again to Dmitry for providing a copy!);

I'll just type the first and the last paragraphs, the rest being irrelevant:

'Thurs. Oct. 30, 1958

Dear John - oh no! I can't start out that way. Let's try again. Hello John - here's a word from the wilderness. I've been away from the piano and city life for about 2 1/2 weeks now and still don't feel a strong urge to return or to play which suprises me since I've not been separated from the keyboard more than 2-3 days since I broke my wrist in seventh grade. But I'm beginning to want the change more and I think I'll be back within a week.

(...)

This letter will have to be my communique to the band also I don't have Jimm's, Paul's or Cannon's adress and can't remember Miles'. I truly miss hearing and being with everyone. But I'll be saying hello soon.

I've gained a few pounds and fell rested. If Nita's still interested I was born on a Thurs. morning at 4 a.m. 1929 (Aug. 16).

Hello to all,

Wild William

PS. I still don't know what to say here but I always like P.S.'s The picture enclosed does not represent the opinion of the author, or does it? If that's me, I'm as sad as I look.

'Be done'

Wild Bill would have been 76 tomorrow!

That letter is from when Evans was in Florida (or perhaps Louisiana - does it give a return address?) visiting family. Books like Ken Vail's "Miles' Diary" and the Chris Sheridan Cannonball book are not aware of this, but the Pettinger bio of Evans does mention this absence from the scene.

I'll try to find out exactly when Evans left the Davis band because Vail and Sheridan list him all the way up to the Village Vanguard in November. There are some broadcasts of MD during this period - who is playing piano on them??? Specifically, the Spotlite Lounge, Washington, DC on November 1, 1958. Can anyone who's heard that one comment? Is it Red Garland? The other broadcast is the Show Boat in Philadelphia on September 20, 1958 - but I guess that's still Evans at that point.

Mike

'Thurs. Oct. 30, 1958

Dear John - oh no! I can't start out that way. Let's try again. Hello John - here's a word from the wilderness. I've been away from the piano and city life for about 2 1/2 weeks now and still don't feel a strong urge to return or to play which suprises me since I've not been separated from the keyboard more than 2-3 days since I broke my wrist in seventh grade. But I'm beginning to want the change more and I think I'll be back within a week.

Well, that clears up a little mystery.

There's an airshot from the Spotlite, Washington dated (probably) November 1, 1958. Most discographies I've seen have Red Garland as pianist (and it certainly seems to be Garland); however Ken Vail's Miles' Diary book credits Evans with playing the whole engagement (October 29th- November 2nd). It also states that Evans quit the band in mid-November after a further engagement at the Village Vanguard. As the letter indicates, Evans had qiut as early as mid-October.

Anyway, nothing to suggest antipathy between the two men (quite the opposite it seems), so that ugly rumour can be laid to rest.