New Columbia Legacy Reissues Copy Protected?

Brad

I bought Manhatten Symphony and loved it! Tried to load it into itunes and no go. That's a HUGE drag for me since that's where I listen to stuff the most. Needless to say, if this is the future I'm hanging onto my old "bad sounding" CDs since I can load them into my ipod. Seems like I'm in the same boat with 99.9999999999% of the public who just want to buy this stuff legally and then manipulate to their needs.

I think this will hurt their sales. If I can't ipod it, I ain't buying it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They play normally in anything but a computer.

They are also meant to play on a computer, but cannot be copied on a computer. I haven't read much on this new Sony copyprotection scheme, but previous systems like EMI's Cactus Datashield also created many playability problems on devices where the CDs are meant to be used normaly, like on DVD players and car CD players. So it is not only a nuisance for those who want to copy the music (on CD-R or just onto their portable player).

• 3 weeks later...

It's sad that Columbia/Sony didn't release these as normal CDs-- I agree "copy-protecting" these is a curious choice. Maybe jazz is more popular than I thought!

To save the trouble of dealing with cp, I passed on all but "Jeru". Except for the cp nonsense, it's a quality reissue. A nice session (especially the bossa nova "Capricious"), good liner notes, everyone's name spelled correctly on the cover.

On the bright side, I bet this encourages at least a few people to discover Linux and possibly Ogg Vorbis (open-source sound standard). Computers should enable us, not confine us.

I have a stand alone cd burner (that accepts "data" blanks, rather than needing "music" blanks) and it's copying Brookmeyer just fine right now. I would assume I can rip this to my iPod, seeing that it will just be regular audio files now. Will report if this is not the case.

Even with "consumer" stand alone models, this should work for single copies, I would image, at full quality. I guess everyone uses computer burners these days, but I got mine to burn cds of lps easily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a very technical analysis by Mark Russinovich (sysinternals.com) of the potential security risks and stability issues introduced by the software installed by copyprotected SonyBMG CDs:

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/s...tal-rights.html

There is also an article on Slashdot:

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/10/31/2016223...tid=172&tid=158

SysInternals.com guru Mark Russinovich has a detailed investigation of a rootkit from Sony Music. It's installed with a DRM-encumbered music CD, Van Zant's "Get Right with the Man". (Mmmm, delicious irony!) The rootkit introduces several security holes into the system that could be exploited by others, such as hiding any executable file that starts with '$sys$'. Russinovich also identifies several programming bugs in the method it uses to hook system calls, and chronicles the painful steps he had to take to 'exorcise the daemon' from his system.

And a german article on Heise:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/65602

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a discussion of the wacky end-user-license-agreement that comes with the spyware-laden copy protection scheme Sony used on Jeru and some others in this batch.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004145.php

Several Wows there, but this one is amazing, IMO...

If your house gets burgled, you have to delete all your music from your laptop when you get home. That's because the EULA says that your rights to any copies terminate as soon as you no longer possess the original CD. <_<