Clinton album shows how he likes to be big hitter

Johnny E

August 16, 2005

Clinton album shows how he likes to be a big hitter

From Tom Baldwin in Washington

YOU’VE read the book and you’ve seen the interviews but if you were thinking that there is no more juice to be squeezed out of the Bill Clinton experience, think again.

The former President is producing a CD, The Bill Clinton Collection: Selections from the Clinton Music Room. The 11-track compilation goes on sale for $15.95 (£9) next month.

Mr Clinton is so taken with the album that he is reported to have been “blasting it” loudly through the open windows of his people carrier as he drives. The William J. Clinton Presidential Foundation, which more usually seeks to present itself as a “focal point in the worldwide battle against HIV-Aids”, has been working quietly away for months to acquire licensing rights to his top songs.

The CD does not feature Mr Clinton performing on his beloved saxophone. Instead, he has personally selected jazz and gospel tracks, including My Funny Valentine by Miles Davis and The Town I Loved So Well by Phil Coulter.

The CD is being produced for the Clinton Museum Store near the Presidental Library in Little Rock, Arkansas, which has adopted a sharply commercial strategy since opening nine months ago. Revenue is already more than £1 million which, with the proceeds of the CD, will go to fund Mr Clinton’s work on HIV-Aids, economic empowerment, leadership development and ethnic or religious reconciliation.

Connie Fails, who runs the store, said yesterday: “I’m so excited. I hope this will become a big hit and be the first in a series of albums.”

She disclosed how Mr Clinton had telephoned her after hearing a demo tape to insist that it had the “wrong version” of Chelsea Morning. The album now includes his favourite version of the song after which his daughter, Chelsea, was named.

Visitors to the Clinton Presidential Library can see a reproduction of the White House music room, where he was able to pursue one of his ways of relieving the pressure of office by playing the saxophone. The exhibit includes samples from his eclectic CD collection, a video of him playing in the Arkansas All-State Band as a teenager and some of the many musical instruments presented to him during his eight years in power.

There is also rock’n’roll memorabilia such as Bono’s handwritten lyrics to The Hands that Built America, a song that the politically active star sang at the library’s dedication in November, a huge portrait of B. B. King, and a whole wall dedicated to Clinton’s childhood idol, Elvis Presley.

Jordan Johnson, of the Clinton Foundation, said yesterday that he believed that this was the first time that a president had produced a CD. “But unlike some of his predecessors, music was a very big inspiration for Mr Clinton.”

CD TRACKS

My One and Only Love, John Coltrane

Harlem Nocturne, David Sanborn

My Funny Valentine, Miles Davis

The Town I Loved So Well, Phil Coulter

There Will Never Be Another You, Art Tatum

Summertime, Zoot Sims

In the Presence of Jehovah, Mickey Mangun

Nostalgie, Igor Butman

I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free, Nina Simone

Take My Hand, Precious Lord, Mahalia Jackson

Chelsea Morning, Judy Collins

I think it is fine.  At least they got licensing and I'm guessing the artists or their reps are happy, too.  I'd buy this long before I bought some European public domain CDRs that so many love and praise.

At least it contains the great jazz horn triumvirate of Miles, 'trane, and...

Sanborn?

August 16, 2005

She disclosed how Mr Clinton had telephoned her after hearing a demo tape to insist that it had the “wrong version” of Chelsea Morning. The album now includes his favourite version of the song after which his daughter, Chelsea, was named.

Well who doesn't prefer the great Judy Collins to that also-ran Joni Mitchell?

Actually, it's cool that Zoot Sims is represented; but how hackneyed a choice of tune is "Summertime"?

Edited by Kalo

Yeah, this is totally stupid!

I mean, sure, it might help introduce tons of people to Trane, Miles, Zoot and Tatum, and it might generate a mountain of dough to help control the worldwide HIV-AIDS problem...

But, man! I would've picked MUCH hipper tunes! :w

Some people just hate Bill Clinton more than they love jazz I guess.

it might generate a mountain of dough to help control the worldwide HIV-AIDS problem...

That's a joke, right? :huh:

I'm not counting on the proceeds to find the cure, but every little bit helps. If people are gonna buy some compilation disc, I'd rather the money go to a charitable organization than to Starbucks...

--Glenn

how come there's no:  She's Having My Baby; Puppy Love; River of Shit (the Fugs, and I know he's a big Fugs fan); Moose the Mooche; Hello I Must Be Going; Breaking Up Is Hard to Do; My Heart Belongs to Daddy; Poon Tang; Satisfaction -

:lol::blush:

The "Backdoor" Clinton compilation.

When's Monica's compilation coming out?

:ph34r: